BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 11:43 AM   #1
sushiaddict101
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Maximizing sound quality in car?

Please Login to Remove!

I just purchased a Dynex 3.5mm audio cord for the auxiliary port in my 2008 Subaru Legacy. I'm able to play MP3's but the sound quality is poor with not a lot of bass and overall volume. I did not notice a significant difference even after turning the BB audio boost feature on.

Is there a better quality cord I can get and does the model and quality of the auxiliary port matter?

Please advise....Thanks!
Old 08-11-2009, 03:32 PM   #2
MikeLip
Thumbs Must Hurt

The cord doesn't matter. Wire is wire at these low frequencies. Unless there is static and whine from noise pickup due to a poor ground, a cable is a cable. There are some equalizer settings on the BB that may help. But I have found that my BB is also pretty soft on my aux in on my Ion. My Palm Tungsten and my daughters MP3 player are fine. It's just a BB thing.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:21 PM   #3
syclone1978
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

I might disagree a little with MikeLip stating its a Blackberry thing, as I have used my Pearls and my current Bold in my cars, current car is an '08 Chrysler 300 and I use the Blackberry Bluetooth Stereo Gateway and transmit my music with the AUXjack plugged into my BB BT Gateway and it sounds fantastic!

I have noticed that I sometimes get a minor static and then just turn the 3.5mm plug slightly while plugged into the AUX jack and it goes away. So I will aslo agree that it may have a ground issue too. I have thought about opening up my dash to see if I ground it myself if it makes an improvement.

I am not able to really comment on about the BB equalizer use within my car becuase it only works once plugged into the BB with a jack and same goes for the audio boost which I have on and is only relivant when I plug in my travel speakers at the pool, etc.

I love the BT gateway and the freedom of no cords to listen to music and all my ringtones play through the speakers so I know what I am receiving and it shuts the music off once it is a call. It does not transmit the calls though :(
Old 08-11-2009, 08:15 PM   #4
rick chi-town
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
PIN: pin me to the wall.
Carrier: Sprint

I have to agree that the blackberry is absolutely fine for music playback... I have an 8350i that has a 2.5 jack no less (not really sure at all why Nextel felt the need to supply this phone with that size). So I'm running thru a 2.5 to 3.5 adaptor, and it still sounds fine!
Must just be a setting in your car, check to see if there is an adjustment on your AUX in level, mine does.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:16 PM   #5
JGrauman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

what bit rate are your mp3s? if you downloaded at a low bit rate it's going to sound like crap on anything bigger than a headphone speaker.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:41 PM   #6
MikeLip
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by syclone1978 View Post
I might disagree a little with MikeLip stating its a Blackberry thing, as I have used my Pearls and my current Bold in my cars, current car is an '08 Chrysler 300 and I use the Blackberry Bluetooth Stereo Gateway and transmit my music with the AUXjack plugged into my BB BT Gateway and it sounds fantastic!

I have noticed that I sometimes get a minor static and then just turn the 3.5mm plug slightly while plugged into the AUX jack and it goes away. So I will aslo agree that it may have a ground issue too. I have thought about opening up my dash to see if I ground it myself if it makes an improvement.

I am not able to really comment on about the BB equalizer use within my car becuase it only works once plugged into the BB with a jack and same goes for the audio boost which I have on and is only relivant when I plug in my travel speakers at the pool, etc.

I love the BT gateway and the freedom of no cords to listen to music and all my ringtones play through the speakers so I know what I am receiving and it shuts the music off once it is a call. It does not transmit the calls though :(
This is not how he is getting sound to the system (and may well be superior in terms of sound level), but it sure sounds like a toy I have to pick up and try!
Old 08-12-2009, 10:57 AM   #7
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Cord won't matter much. It could very well be the Aux in on your car's head unit. Have you used it with anything else?
Old 09-30-2009, 09:57 AM   #8
acupsa

Model: 9530
Carrier: Telus
Default Issues with the sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by syclone1978 View Post

What you are saying is true, however, it does not reflect the original issue. The sound that you are getting through the BT gateway does not pass through the head phone output connector, which is where the problem is, I believe.

I am having similar problems: when connecting the BB Storm directly to my AUX input in the car (from the head-phone out connector), the sound is terrible (low, lack of bass, etc.). I have then purchased the BT gateway, and using this to stream the music to the AUX port in the car audio system, I get MUCH improved sound quality (actually, it sounds better than anything else I have used so far...), with some quirks - volume seems to go down after an incoming alert message (be it e-mail, or voice call) and I have not found a way around that yet.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:14 AM   #9
turn_key
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330m
PIN: G PAL4 Putter
Carrier: Sprint

Depending on the source mp3 I've had to change the equalizer presets to get the sound I wanted. I use a cassette tape adapter in my car.
Closed Thread