Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 08:47 PM   #1
mortalberry

Model: 9300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sasktel
Default playbook terrific but ....

Please Login to Remove!

i use my Playbook far more than my laptop, and it's terrific, but I was not attuned to the current situation with rim itself. Suppose they tank, what happens to our Playbooks? Would we be left with cool, powerful tablets that would eventually become ornaments and paper weights as a result of no updates or software support? Yeah, I worry about everything....
Old 06-19-2011, 08:52 PM   #2
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: playbook terrific but ....

You will have moved on to the "next great thing" by the time that happens.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:01 PM   #3
mortalberry

Awesome! What a clever answer. Was hoping to use this for a few years at the very least.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:16 AM   #4
DaveTheA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Bell Canada

I'm a bit concerned about this too. Heckuva thing when we have to check corporate ratings and gossip before we buy a product... Still, the Playbook does 90% of what I want it to do right now [Facebook, audio/video, GoogleMaps and Net browsing...] so I'm not too worried what happens.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:22 AM   #5
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Mama is right. Even if RIM does go town the tubes, you will have worn out the PlayBook long before that time.

You hopefully will get two years out of the batteries, maybe 3+ if you continue to use the PlayBook that long. And at that point you'll be asking yourself whether to ship it off to have the batteries replaced, buy the next generation PlayBook, or do something else. And all the while RIM will still be in business and selling products and services.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 06-20-2011, 07:27 AM   #6
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

And let's be realistic here. Even though "analysts" have been hard on RIM, and they have had to reduce their earings forecast, they are still a profitable company. Not as profitable as they or people who bought their stock might have hoped perhaps.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:44 AM   #7
alphasports
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: Rogers (CAN) / A1 (AUT) / Swisscom (SUI) / T-Mobile (USA)

...and worst-case (and this is really worst case and a major stretch) they would get bought out and the product would continue as today as a business-oriented subset of a bigger company/product line. RIM crows about their $3B cash reserve...Apple currently has $70B which would allow them to buy out just about everyone out there except MS and still have a growling stomach.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:26 PM   #8
geoffa

Model: 9630

RIM out of business, lol. not for at least another 10 - 15 years.
business people like me that work in the financial and legal industry have only 1 choice for a company provided cell phone that allows email.....

Android and Apple will never be supported at places where SOX compliance is the number 1 priority.

and for those of you that say, "hey, I work in a place like that and we support iPhone..."
i say, you will soon drop support for iPhone when more and more documents are being distributed because of groups like Lulzsec.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:43 PM   #9
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

I doubt that; the consumerization of IT is forcing companies to adopt the iPhone and the even more popular Android. "Security" be damned.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:57 PM   #10
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
I doubt that; the consumerization of IT is forcing companies to adopt the iPhone and the even more popular Android. "Security" be damned.
Exactly what is happening at my company.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:14 PM   #11
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Sarbanes Oxley was and is not about security. It was originally to hold companies accountable in their reporting to try and prevent fraud. It hasn't done that, and is more accurately the "No Auditor Left Behind" program.

iPhones and Androids don't mean anything to SOx compliance.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:45 PM   #12
stevetaz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S III
Carrier: sprint

Quote:
Sarbanes Oxley was and is not about security. It was originally to hold companies accountable in their reporting to try and prevent fraud. It hasn't done that, and is more accurately the "No Auditor Left Behind" program.

+1

Wikipedia
Old 06-27-2011, 10:25 AM   #13
smoothadmin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9860
Carrier: Virgin Mobile Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
RIM out of business, lol. not for at least another 10 - 15 years.
business people like me that work in the financial and legal industry have only 1 choice for a company provided cell phone that allows email.....

Android and Apple will never be supported at places where SOX compliance is the number 1 priority.

and for those of you that say, "hey, I work in a place like that and we support iPhone..."
i say, you will soon drop support for iPhone when more and more documents are being distributed because of groups like Lulzsec.
To be honest it doesn't take 10 to 15 years to take down a company. It takes more like a day or two. Just look at Commodore, one of their major share holders dropped their shares onto the market and Commodore collapsed in a day. If RIM's share holders get pissed off enough at RIMs lack of share in the market place they too could suffer the same fate.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:35 PM   #14
ZombieBerry

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothadmin View Post
To be honest it doesn't take 10 to 15 years to take down a company. It takes more like a day or two. Just look at Commodore, one of their major share holders dropped their shares onto the market and Commodore collapsed in a day. If RIM's share holders get pissed off enough at RIMs lack of share in the market place they too could suffer the same fate.
WOW!!!!
Commodore took more than a day or two to collapse, they declared bankruptcy in 1994 and bought out by Evkom. They were around as a division of Evkom until they declared bankruptcy in 2005. Then they were merged with a whack of other companies.

Please don't compare RIM to Commodore International.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:42 PM   #15
fourstringfuror

Model: Q10
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheA View Post
I'm a bit concerned about this too. Heckuva thing when we have to check corporate ratings and gossip before we buy a product... Still, the Playbook does 90% of what I want it to do right now [Facebook, audio/video, GoogleMaps and Net browsing...] so I'm not too worried what happens.
If your major tech purchases are influenced by blog chatter, you should rethink your decision process.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:02 PM   #16
mortalberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringfuror View Post
If your major tech purchases are influenced by blog chatter, you should rethink your decision process.
Although it sounds a bit dickish, that's probably the best answer. Thank you!
Old 06-29-2011, 09:28 AM   #17
whatsanipad
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: PB
Carrier: verizon

"To be honest it doesn't take 10 to 15 years to take down a company. It takes more like a day or two. Just look at Commodore, one of their major share holders dropped their shares onto the market and Commodore collapsed in a day. "

Not sure that is a valid comparison; I applaud RIM expanding their market reach through the introduction of a tablet based on a platform that is not Apple or Android. Their phones are still viable and they are appropriately seeking product line extensions to expand their business penetration. The PB is immature, though is an excellent platform for future expansion, if they can line up significant 3rd party developers (Android, Kindle, Skype, to name a few).
If the product fails, it won't take RIM down in one day...though it could spell longer term troubles for the company. WANG, Control Data, WordStar (all of whom at one time were market leaders) took years to collapse, based on shrinking market share and lack of continued technology leadership....until that happens, we have a tablet that is functional. To someone's earlier point, the PB will probably be ripe for replacement in 2 years anyway...this is the hazard of being on the bleeding edge.

Anthony
Old 06-29-2011, 11:41 AM   #18
geoffa

Quote:

lol, maybe "Sarbanes–Oxley Section 404: Assessment of internal control" has two meaning then...

call me crazy, but if "financial" records slipped out via an iPhone or Android device, that is definitively a SOX issue.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:15 PM   #19
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Or e-mail or Instant Messaging? Come on - it has nothing to do with mobile devices. Don't invent another interpretation of SOx.

All companies should immediately disconnect themselves from the Internet?
Old 06-29-2011, 12:31 PM   #20
geoffa

yeah, those too are part of SOx. where do you work that makes you the resident expert on the subject?

all due respect, but you do not make the rules. the clients / customers that demand the audits do.
Closed Thread