Old 09-06-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
Openmindedstudent
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telus
Default playbook-love it but have questions

Please Login to Remove!

hello all, i finally got the playbook and it is a fantastic device, i love it so far and the bridge works so well! i do however havw some questions, i am just waiting for it to break or fail since ive heard of so many issues with it. is there anything i should know or avoid doing? how do disconnect from blackberry bridge safely? if my device works well now, should i be wary of a failure soon or are they solid devices? and how do i put it in sleep mode? and can i safely unplug it before it finishes charging? sorry for all the questions, i love this machine and i am afraid it will break for no obvious reason as i intend to take excellent care of it as i do with all my belongings. again, thank you.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #2
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA
Default Re: playbook-love it but have questions

1. Consider using the shift and return keys. Proper capitalization and formatting make your posts easier to read.
2. You don't need to worry about when you unplug the device, but the more you let the battery discharge the shorter its life will be in the long term. Don't go crazy about it, but if you have a chance to charge it up without being too inconvenient you should take it.
3. I've had my PlayBook since the day it was released and have had no physical or major software problems. The Bridge is very stable with the lastest software. I've had my 9800 paired with the PB without disconnecting for over a month. When I take the BB away from the PB they will disconnect, but reconnect when they are close enough again.
4. To put it to sleep, go to the home screen, press the battery icon and select standby.
5. To wake it up stroke from the top bezel to the bottom bezel, you'll only need to use the power button if you actuall turn the device off (only necessary if you aren't going to be using it for a few days, and why would you want to do that), or to reboot which I haven't needed to do for quite a while.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Don't: Drop it or get it wet.

I also agree about topping the battery off. There will be times when you run the battery down, but don't do it all the time as a matter of practice. Again, top it off when you can. As hr say, no need to get fanatical about, however. If you are on the move and you can only charge up a little and not wait for the PlayBook to fully charge, that's fine.

I've had pretty much trouble free experience. Some people have problems just as nothing is perfect, and on forums you are more likely to hear the failures than the successes. Odds are you will have no problems.

Bridge: I never shut it off. When I turn on the PlayBook the devices connect, and when I'm ready I just turn off the PlayBook. Some never turn off their PlayBook. Depending, I may just put mine in standby instead of turning it off.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 09-07-2011, 11:53 AM   #4
Openmindedstudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbuckley View Post
1. Consider using the shift and return keys. Proper capitalization and formatting make your posts easier to read.
2. You don't need to worry about when you unplug the device, but the more you let the battery discharge the shorter its life will be in the long term. Don't go crazy about it, but if you have a chance to charge it up without being too inconvenient you should take it.
3. I've had my PlayBook since the day it was released and have had no physical or major software problems. The Bridge is very stable with the lastest software. I've had my 9800 paired with the PB without disconnecting for over a month. When I take the BB away from the PB they will disconnect, but reconnect when they are close enough again.
4. To put it to sleep, go to the home screen, press the battery icon and select standby.
5. To wake it up stroke from the top bezel to the bottom bezel, you'll only need to use the power button if you actuall turn the device off (only necessary if you aren't going to be using it for a few days, and why would you want to do that), or to reboot which I haven't needed to do for quite a while.
Sorry, I was so excited that I just wanted to play with the playbook, good grammar and spelling will now be present in my messages. again, thank you both for your replies, the playbook stopped turning on so I returned it and now this new one seems fine, minor glitches like when on youtube, when I choose a video, the screen flickers a little bit. i am not sure if this is present on all playbooks and something that will be fixed down the road or if it is just mine. Also, I opened the kobo ebooks app and the playbook froze then rebooted on its own. this has me kind of worried and I don't understand what green flashing lights mean. I am a business major, first year at university, i can't afford to have it break with valuable information on it. i would rather use this playbook over my old pc. again, thank you.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:13 PM   #5
hrbuckley

No worries, I'm not going to mark your grammar. But some of us only get on the site using our mobiles, and some are not fluent in english so proper formatting makes reading easier for everyone.

If you have updated to 1.0.7.2942 and still have those problems I would take that one back too. Some times conected applications, especially those written in Adobe Air, can be slow to respond if there are network delays. But if you are seeing OS crashes I would be suspicious of the hardware.

YouTube has always worked fine for me, but I don't use it on a daily basis. The same with Kobo, though it is slower than I think it should be. Regardless of what the apps are doing you should always be able to background and exit them with the gestures. QNX is a very mature OS known for stability and responsiveness. There may have been some early issues, but bugs should all be squashed by now.

If you have the latest OS and still have these problems, keep taking it back till you get a good one. The upside of lagging sales is that you shouldn't have to put up with a marginal device hoping it will sort itself out. Electronic devices don't behave that way.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
Openmindedstudent

Quote:
No worries, I'm not going to mark your grammar. But some of us only get on the site using our mobiles, and some are not fluent in english so proper formatting makes reading easier for everyone.

If you have updated to 1.0.7.2942 and still have those problems I would take that one back too. Some times conected applications, especially those written in Adobe Air, can be slow to respond if there are network delays. But if you are seeing OS crashes I would be suspicious of the hardware.

YouTube has always worked fine for me, but I don't use it on a daily basis. The same with Kobo, though it is slower than I think it should be. Regardless of what the apps are doing you should always be able to background and exit them with the gestures. QNX is a very mature OS known for stability and responsiveness. There may have been some early issues, but bugs should all be squashed by now.

If you have the latest OS and still have these problems, keep taking it back till you get a good one. The upside of lagging sales is that you shouldn't have to put up with a marginal device hoping it will sort itself out. Electronic devices don't behave that way.
i hope you don't mind but I have some more questions. I am on my 3rd playbook, the first stopped turning on from sleep mode and tech support told me to return it for a new one, the second kept crashing so I returned it and this one seems fine, howeveer, like the other ones, it can't, or doesn't charge past 98%, sometimes 99%, not sure why but also not a big issue, but what concerns me is once I finished downloading the update when I first turned it on, I did the set up and after all that, I picked up the playbook and the back was so hot I couldn't hold it for more than a few seconds so I put it into standby and let it cool off, since then I have not had any issues with heat, what do you think about that? it seems kind of strange but otherwise, this playbook is flawless.
Thabk you in advance.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:49 PM   #7
ZombieBerry

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND

If the device is too hot to hold, then I would exchange it right away, cause at the rate of heat the PB is generating, your components will be melted in under a month. As you say though, if the issue has not repeated itself, then you may be fine. Have you since tried another upgrade, or have you tested your PB to see if you can generate that kind of heat?

Last edited by ZombieBerry; 09-10-2011 at 03:15 PM..
Old 09-10-2011, 05:04 PM   #8
hrbuckley

The ARM CPUs, like all such devices, get warm when they operate. The longer the CPU runs at full speed the warmer it is going to get. My gets warm enough that I don't like holding it there, but I wouldn't describe it the way you did.

The aluminum case of the iPad is an advantage for this as it distributes the heat across the whole back. The heat has to go somewhere. I have an ARM development board and the CPU (which I can touch with my finger) gets uncomfortably hot to the touch when it is running flat out.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:48 PM   #9
Openmindedstudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieBerry View Post
If the device is too hot to hold, then I would exchange it right away, cause at the rate of heat the PB is generating, your components will be melted in under a month. As you say though, if the issue has not repeated itself, then you may be fine. Have you since tried another upgrade, or have you tested your PB to see if you can generate that kind of heat?
well thats the thing. it scared me but ever since then I have had no issues, I can play youtube videos and have another app or two running with no heat issue so I am hoping it will be fine as it no longer heats up very much and I am becoming very tired of having to return them. so I think I will wait and see if it runs well and if it doesnt, I will have to use the special warranty I bought. and thank you.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:52 PM   #10
Openmindedstudent

Quote:
The ARM CPUs, like all such devices, get warm when they operate. The longer the CPU runs at full speed the warmer it is going to get. My gets warm enough that I don't like holding it there, but I wouldn't describe it the way you did.

The aluminum case of the iPad is an advantage for this as it distributes the heat across the whole back. The heat has to go somewhere. I have an ARM development board and the CPU (which I can touch with my finger) gets uncomfortably hot to the touch when it is running flat out.
well what I am thinking is that in my dorm room I have a bad internet connection but I connected to an even slower connection so the update was taking forever before I lost the connection, is it possible tje machine had to work harder due to the very poor connection, thus resulting i a lot of hest generation? because my current connection is decent and I dont seem to have any issues anymore. what do you think? thank you in advance.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:29 AM   #11
hrbuckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Openmindedstudent View Post
well what I am thinking is that in my dorm room I have a bad internet connection but I connected to an even slower connection so the update was taking forever before I lost the connection, is it possible tje machine had to work harder due to the very poor connection, thus resulting i a lot of hest generation? because my current connection is decent and I dont seem to have any issues anymore. what do you think? thank you in advance.
I don't think the Wi-Fi connection quality would affect it, but I could be wrong about that. The hotest mine enver got was during updates, but the last one was only 80MB (an incremental patch ranther than a full replacement) and didn't get very warm at all. I think it is the length of time the CPU is running at full speed that is the factor here.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:33 AM   #12
ZombieBerry

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND

Quote:
I don't think the Wi-Fi connection quality would affect it, but I could be wrong about that. The hotest mine enver got was during updates, but the last one was only 80MB (an incremental patch ranther than a full replacement) and didn't get very warm at all. I think it is the length of time the CPU is running at full speed that is the factor here.
I am going to agree. The strength of the WiFi signal would not make the CPU run at the rate required to cause that type of heat. It would have to be a CPU. Even if I charge in direct sunlight, the PB gets warm (sometimes very warm, but never too hot that I would have to let go at some point).