Old 06-08-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
Openmindedstudent
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telus
Default Should i buy a PB now or wait?

Please Login to Remove!

Hello, I've been thinking about buying a playbook for a long time, I have little interest in the Ipad or Xoom but I'm afraid Ill miss something if I buy it early. Does anyone know anything about anything new that is expected by at least december 2011?
Thank you very much.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 06-08-2011, 06:12 PM   #2
DaveTheA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Bell Canada
Default re: Should i buy a PB now or wait?

I think the major thing coming up is 3G connectivity. If you have access to good Wi-Fi, there may not be any good reason to have it, esp. if it increases your cellular costs.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:34 PM   #3
Openmindedstudent
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Telus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheA View Post
I think the major thing coming up is 3G connectivity. If you have access to good Wi-Fi, there may not be any good reason to have it, esp. if it increases your cellular costs.
I'm not that interested in 3G on the PB. Is that all? Personally that doesn't seem worth to me. Have any new updates come out at all? I hear a lot about glitches and problems but the machine looks amazing and is so fast and fluid. I love what I've seen.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:07 AM   #4
hack_mole

Carrier: At&t
Default Re: Should i buy a PB now or wait?

Well I guess it depends on your personality. If you like bleeding edge, If you like to tell your friends that I've "been there, done that" a year from now, then you probably would be a good candidate for a PB.

If you are still running a Curve 8310 and think Edge is a guitar player, then you may be disappointed.

BTW, There have been updates and features are coming out quickly. Also, I'm seeing anywhere from 20-50 new apps per day. Are they all huge super apps? No. Are there a lot of small apps that do one thing well? Yes. If you like to explore and be involved, now is a good time to test the landscape and see what can be done.

Lastly, with anything new, there are glitches and road bumps, but this happens on all platforms. None are immune from an occasional brick or freezup. On that note, though, the PB has been quite stable and if an app misbehaves, it's easy to just "swipe it away" and move on.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:07 PM   #5
DaveTheA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Bell Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Openmindedstudent View Post
I'm not that interested in 3G on the PB. Is that all? Personally that doesn't seem worth to me. Have any new updates come out at all? I hear a lot about glitches and problems but the machine looks amazing and is so fast and fluid. I love what I've seen.
The last OS update seems to have improved some things about PB functionality, and new apps are coming out as mentioned [tho' whether many are very useful is another matter]. I suspect we'll see lots more apps and upgrades appear over the next few months.

My own beef has a lot to do with the availability of GOOD public wi-fi...most of the public points I've found are weak or seriously limited. It's VERY hard to find anyplace that allows downloads, and some places [Starbucks, seemingly] won't even let me go on Facebook. I can't find the software disk to set up wi-fi on my home router [never needed it before, so I left it disabled ] so it's a bit of a problem. But that's not the fault of the Playbook.

I'm not generally a bleeding-edge kind of guy, but I wanted a tablet, or a laptop or something more than my 9700 for mobile use. In general, I'm pleased with my PB, and I'm glad I didn't wait. AFAIK RIM isn't looking to release a new model PB in the foreseeable future [no iPad 2, IOW] so I'm not sure if there's anything to be gained by waiting...
Old 06-15-2011, 09:54 PM   #6
GrandMstrBud
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9780
PIN: 2075BBB4
Carrier: Carrier

Does the playbook have any good apps at all? If I were to get one I'd want to have the slingplayer and netflix a.pps for sure
Closed Thread