BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 06:44 AM   #1
MitchellBBPearl8230
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8230
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default How to create a JAD file when I have ALX/COD?

Please Login to Remove!

Because OTA not always an option, figured out how to install manually with just a COD and JAD file (I'm new to BB world, hope I spell all these file types correctly <g>).

What options do we have if there is no JAD file? I get that I can use a previous one and re-write the info since it's a simple instruction file but I'm not sure which info is strictly necessary as I have several JADs and they're all different.

If found a so-called template but found it was rather complicated so coming here to see if someone had a simple template I can use for those cases where I can't find a JAD to download and the freeware just comes with the OTA files (ALX/COD).

Thanks.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:47 AM   #2
MitchellBBPearl8230

bump
Old 05-21-2010, 07:08 PM   #3
MitchellBBPearl8230

Default I seem to have figured it out.

I think I may have figured out how to do this. At least, so far, so good. As long as I have a COD file (usu. accompanied with a secondary OTA file with ALX extension), this has worked so far. Don't need the ALX, but I'll keep it/them if I find an app or apps that work(s) since may need to use via OTA down the road.

Anyway, all this is good because when I got my Pearl flip, I was thinking cell phone, not smartphone so I got a cell phone package rather than a more Blackberry-based one. I also didn't want _anyone_ chasing me around with emails, since I get enough of those at work and home. I didn't want to not be able to escape them when I left my house or work! <lol> So I have no browser capability on my phone.

Which is okay. I find the apps on my computer browser, I run them through the usual anti-virus processes I use already then create the JAD files, transfer to my phone, then "download" (install, in other words). So far, every single app I've tried this with, works.

The trick has been finding the trial files to begin with. Which I'm glad I did! The apps are usually a good price but since none of them do what I need so far, I'm not out having wasted any money.

So below is the basic JAD that I came up with. I create a text file and copy this type of template information in:
------------------------------------
MIDlet-Name: Tbilisoft Reminder
MIDlet-1: Tbilisoft Reminder,png/clock.png,
MIDlet-Jar-URL: com_tbilisoft_reminder.jar
MIDlet-Vendor: Tbilisoft
MIDlet-Version: 1.0
RIM-COD-URL-1: com_tbilisoft_reminder-1.cod
RIM-COD-Size-1: 65644
RIM-COD-URL-2: com_tbilisoft_reminder-2.cod
RIM-COD-Size-2: 78488
RIM-COD-URL-3: com_tbilisoft_reminder-3.cod
RIM-COD-Size-3: 2896
RIM-COD-URL-4: com_tbilisoft_reminder.cod
RIM-COD-Size-4: 64604
------------------------------------

There is another trick. The process doesn't like COD files that are above about 64k in size, I found. Anything larger than that and I change the COD extension to ZIP and unzip. I get a bunch of smaller COD files in place of the large one.

The trial for the tbilisoft alarm program had a COD that when unzipped revealed component COD files named as shown above:

com_tbilisoft_reminder-1.cod
com_tbilisoft_reminder-2.cod
com_tbilisoft_reminder-3.cod
com_tbilisoft_reminder.cod

The common "root" for the file name is is this: com_tbilisoft_reminder

I went in a placed that exact copy/paste of the name in every part where called for.

Then I right-clicked each COD and took note of the size of the file. i.e., the "com_tbilisoft_reminder-1.cod" is 64k in size, roughly, but I got 65644 in the right-click so that's what I typed in. Each COD shown in the JAD has the file size that corresponds to that file that I easily found via the right-click and looking at the properties of each file.

I then named the text file to the same as the base COD file, in this case, "com_tbilisoft_reminder.jad" and placed it and the complete set of COD files (com_tbilisoft_reminder-1.cod, com_tbilisoft_reminder-2.cod, com_tbilisoft_reminder-3.cod, com_tbilisoft_reminder.cod) on a folder in my Pearl. Then I accessed the JAD files via Explore in applications on my phone and then "installed" my Pearl flip.

I've "installed" 5 trial applications in this manner and so far, they've all worked if I've created a JAD file in the manner described above.

For anyone else that has the same restrictions in not being able to get apps via OTA, this may work for them, too.

Last edited by MitchellBBPearl8230; 05-21-2010 at 07:13 PM..
Closed Thread