BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 04:04 PM   #1
Alfonso Alcala

Model: 8700g
Default My 8100 is out of memory

Please Login to Remove!

I have migrated from a 8700 into a 8100. I had half memory free in my 8700 (32MB).
I just plug in the SIM, requested a BES activation..... fine!! Everything works but only 3MB free to start. Usually my 8100 gets out of memory and incoming mail folder automatically gets empty (I assume due to lack of memory).
Properties shows that 0 free memory is available, so I reset (removing the battery) for geting 3 MB.

What can I do? I have less apps? Is there anyway to manage and improve memory? Is this a bug?

Thanks
Old 12-01-2006, 11:46 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfonso Alcala
I have migrated from a 8700 into a 8100. I had half memory free in my 8700 (32MB).
I just plug in the SIM, requested a BES activation..... fine!! Everything works but only 3MB free to start. Usually my 8100 gets out of memory and incoming mail folder automatically gets empty (I assume due to lack of memory).
Properties shows that 0 free memory is available, so I reset (removing the battery) for geting 3 MB.

What can I do? I have less apps? Is there anyway to manage and improve memory? Is this a bug?

Thanks

Welcome to the forums!

What 3rd party apps have you loaded? Be specific....
Old 12-02-2006, 02:22 AM   #3
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700

OS v4.2 (installed on the Pearl) takes up more space than v4.1. As John suggested, what 3rd party apps do you have installed? Might have to remove some. Are you taking a lot of pictures or did you load some music? You can get a MicroSD card and move them there. This will free up space on the onboard memory.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-02-2006, 04:55 AM   #4
Alfonso Alcala

Default 3rd party apps installed

I have installed a dictionary (MSDict) and Mobile Sudoku.

Anyhow, when I enter in Status and browse the databases sizes, the total size is 615K.

I am considering to make a complete reset and start from scratch. How can I reset my 8100 to initial configuration?

Regards.

P.D. I have a SD card, but in any case I haven't loaded yet any pictures or music

Thanks
Old 12-02-2006, 09:24 AM   #5
Spamdumpster
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8820
Carrier: at&t

One easy thing you can do to get more memory on the device is to delete the support for unnecessary languages and characters (korean, semetic). Go to options, advanced, applications, and delete the languages you don't need.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:01 PM   #6
rgoodwin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c

I'm curious if the OP solved the problem. One of the questions I have as I ponder the Pearl from 8700 is whether I can load as many apps. Today I have:

Opera Mini
Google Maps
GMail
Berry 411
probably about 6 games (of which I only play like 1)
Yahoo messenger
BBWeather
a few ringtones
a few pictures/wallpapers
Old 12-03-2006, 05:51 PM   #7
Damager
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

I think part of the problem MAY be MSDICT - not sure if he is running with local dictionaries or not, but that can take a LOT of space. I have lots of apps on my 8100 (also came from an 8700), and I have plenty of space, but recently purchased MSDICT, and cannot fit it into memory - I'll have to purchase a microSD card.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:55 PM   #8
pawn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Bell

I am experiencing the same problem. I first noticed it because my calls log and emails were being automatically deleted so I checked the memory (file free = 0). I have very little installed and can only guess that the mms pictures I've been sending and videos I've been downloading have had an effect (i.e., even though I don't save the videos, maybe they are cached but not properly deleted automatically when file space runs low). Or maybe there's a memory leak, who knows. All I know is pulling the battery freed up 16MB.

I think there might be a major problem with this.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:56 PM   #9
DocGo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: ask me via PM
Carrier: Rogers

If MSDICT does not support external memory cards in BBs, then getting a microSD card for your 8100 is not going to solve your problem. But, at least you can move your pictures and put a lot of mp3s in your microSD.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:01 PM   #10
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Do you have additional languages installed on the Pearl? They take up a ton of memory.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:45 AM   #11
Alfonso Alcala

Default Some clues

Dear colleagues,

Based on your suggestions and experience, it's possible to recover 15 MB of free memory that it's enough for having an stable status (otherwise, as mentioned, your incoming mailbox and phone calls register will be empty).

These are my suggestions:
a) Delete the BB demo video (2 MB) as it's installed in the main memory
b) Delete the support for languages you will never use (around 5 MB in my case)
c) I have also reduced the Memory reserved for Images from 10 MB to 2 MB (under Options in the Media menu).

Regarding MSDict, I have not found how to install the dictionaries in the microSD card...

Regards
Old 12-04-2006, 09:00 AM   #12
blakeatl
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: T-mobile

What about his log files. Wouldn't they transfer over from the other bb?
Old 12-04-2006, 03:24 PM   #13
John Clark
BBF Moderator

I also delete the help application....you can do it from DM or right from Options >Advanced Options >Applications.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:00 PM   #14
FenianEMT

If I'm deleting languages, are there any that I wouldn't want to delete (assuming I'm really only going to be using it in US English)? What's currently there are (and I've already deleted a few):
*Input Support
**Afrikaans
**Danish
**Greek
**Swedish
**Portuguese
*Language and Input Support
**German
**English UK
**Spanish
**French

Also, if I delete the "Help" application, will there no longer be "Help" options in the menus, or will they still show up but cause errors?

Thanks.

Edit: Is there an easy way to tell how much space one entry in the "Applications" list (Options->Advanced->Applications) takes up?

Last edited by FenianEMT; 12-04-2006 at 05:02 PM..
Old 12-04-2006, 05:03 PM   #15
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Do you speak any of the languages? If you don't need those languages then delete them! Don't delete the Help application.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:08 PM   #16
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
...Don't delete the Help application.
NJ...is there a specific reason not to delete the help application...other than not having the help application? I used to uncheck it from the DM on my 7100t and it never gave any problems and it did free up memory. Is there a reason not to do that on the Pearl? I have enough memory on the Pearl, so far, so I haven't removed it from my Pearl but was going to shortly.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:27 PM   #17
FenianEMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
Do you speak any of the languages? If you don't need those languages then delete them!
So would it be safe to delete all of the languages under both those headings (as I don't see US English included)? Since I don't speak any of the languages (well, I suppose I can get by with UK English ), would there be any downsides for me at all in deleting them?
Old 12-04-2006, 05:37 PM   #18
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenianEMT
So would it be safe to delete all of the languages under both those headings (as I don't see US English included)? Since I don't speak any of the languages (well, I suppose I can get by with UK English ), would there be any downsides for me at all in deleting them?
You can delete languages you don't use. If you go to Options >Language it will show you what language you are currently using and what's loaded on your device. Delete everything that isn't English/US English. When I look in mine that's all I have for options. I'm sure that will work for you too. If you have DM installed and the OS installed on your PC just plug in the BB, Open DM, run Application Loader and uncheck all the language support you're not using. If you decide to learn French one day you can go back and check it and have it back.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:43 PM   #19
FenianEMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark
If you have DM installed and the OS installed on your PC just plug in the BB, Open DM, run Application Loader and uncheck all the language support you're not using. If you decide to learn French one day you can go back and check it and have it back.
I'm only seeing applications I've installed in the Application Loader. There is a gray entry that says "Other required applications and libraries", but no detail or ability to uncheck them.

Edit: The application loader shows up as a wizard. If there's a more complete non-wizard version, please let me know how I get to it.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:54 PM   #20
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenianEMT
I'm only seeing applications I've installed in the Application Loader. There is a gray entry that says "Other required applications and libraries", but no detail or ability to uncheck them.

Edit: The application loader shows up as a wizard. If there's a more complete non-wizard version, please let me know how I get to it.

There are two options...

1. Delete directly from the BB. Go to Options >Applications and delete the modules (I have never had multi-language support loaded on my BB so I've never seen these loaded but am assuming that's where they'd be)

2. Download, and install to your PC, the OS for your BB from the link below. Then delete the vendor.xml file located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader. Then open desktop manager and run Application Loader again. It should recognize your software and you should be able to check and uncheck what you want and don't want.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/rim-...wnloads-7.html
Closed Thread