Old 01-17-2010, 07:46 AM   #1
joss.philippe

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bouygues Telecom
Exclamation Risk assessment on wipe without backup

Please Login to Remove!

Hello all,

Bought a Bold 9700 three days ago, and have quickly gotten used to all Blackberry apps and such. Only I woke up this morning to a frozen start-up screen. Taking the battery out didn't help, same screen but the loading stops at the same spot everytime.

I've had it for three days so I haven't yet saved any backups, and the device isn't detected by the desktop manager so too late to do that now. Essentially I need to know whether I can retrieve the default apps and software if I wipe it now? Or am I in for more trouble seeing as it can't be detected and I then won't be able to upload the software? Is it maybe worth getting it exchanged at this early a stage of its life, or does this happen often?

I didn't get much time to add many contacts so I don't mind starting all over again, I just don't want to get myself in a deeper mess, especially if I end up having to bring it back.

If anyone can shed some light or any insight on the matter I'd be very grateful,

Joss

ps. is there a program out there that can wipe a handset directly to factory settings?
Old 01-17-2010, 08:00 AM   #2
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

Wirelessly posted (White and Nerdy)

This doesn't happen very often. I would exchange it out. As for your wiping, the berry ships with a security feature that can wipe

Options>security>advanced. Hit menu and then wipe. On 5.0, the option is in the main security menu
Old 01-17-2010, 08:07 AM   #3
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Options > Security > Security Wipe.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:58 AM   #4
joss.philippe

Carrier: Bouygues Telecom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Options > Security > Security Wipe.
Thanks, but the initial issue I had was actually turning the berry on, and seeing as it still freezes at the start-up loading screen, I cannot access any of the options. Nor can I seem to access the device through the desktop portal, as previously mentioned.

My predicament is as follows, should I attempt to wipe the berry using Jl Cmder or any such program knowing that I might not be able to upload the software after if my device is still undetected?

The more I read over what I've written, the stronger I feel bringing it back would be smarter, kind of a dissapointing start with Blackberries.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:15 AM   #5
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

If it is that new, I would return it.
Did you move from an older BlackBerry to this one, loading any older applications not compatible with the 9700?
But using JLCmder would not be a problem either, no risk.

But I would return it.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:26 AM   #6
Caledan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Since you've only had it for a few days I would take it back & exchange it. Let them deal with it and they get to keep a loyal customer happy.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:27 AM   #7
pnp23
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Orange UK
Default Safe Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by joss.philippe View Post
Hello all,

Bought a Bold 9700 three days ago, and have quickly gotten used to all Blackberry apps and such. Only I woke up this morning to a frozen start-up screen. Taking the battery out didn't help, same screen but the loading stops at the same spot everytime.

I've had it for three days so I haven't yet saved any backups, and the device isn't detected by the desktop manager so too late to do that now. Essentially I need to know whether I can retrieve the default apps and software if I wipe it now? Or am I in for more trouble seeing as it can't be detected and I then won't be able to upload the software? Is it maybe worth getting it exchanged at this early a stage of its life, or does this happen often?

I didn't get much time to add many contacts so I don't mind starting all over again, I just don't want to get myself in a deeper mess, especially if I end up having to bring it back.

If anyone can shed some light or any insight on the matter I'd be very grateful,

Joss

ps. is there a program out there that can wipe a handset directly to factory settings?
This is usually caused by third party applications. If that is the case, same thing will happen if you install the offending application.
It might help if you start the phone in safe mode (pull the battery out and then press the back key untill the phone starts) then delete all the third party applications and thehes. Back up the phone and the reinstall those applications one by one and restart the phone after each one to identify the problem one.
Closed Thread