Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 12:03 PM   #61
ruechel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-MOBILE
Thumbs down

Please Login to Remove!

all this multimedia stuff sounds great for those who care more about the entertainment aspects but i use the BB for my business and would really like to know why we'
re still waiting on BB's being able to /attach to msgs/]/forward and maybe even edit certain documents such as pdf's and WORD docs, excel spreadsheets, etc.

i think it's a damn shame, actually. if they can set the OS up to record video, store music, etc. why can't they do something that comparatively speaking should be really simple?? unless it is some kind of software/platform copyright issue with microsoft or adobe?

anyone (more enlightened on the subject) wanna weigh in on this?

Nick

Last edited by ruechel; 11-21-2007 at 12:05 PM..
Old 11-21-2007, 12:14 PM   #62
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20FA40E8
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruechel View Post
all this multimedia stuff sounds great for those who care more about the entertainment aspects but i use the BB for my business and would really like to know why we'
re still waiting on BB's being able to /attach to msgs/]/forward and maybe even edit certain documents such as pdf's and WORD docs, excel spreadsheets, etc.

i think it's a damn shame, actually. if they can set the OS up to record video, store music, etc. why can't they do something that comparatively speaking should be really simple?? unless it is some kind of software/platform copyright issue with microsoft or adobe?

anyone (more enlightened on the subject) wanna weigh in on this?
Who said they arent working on it? DocumentsToGo is coming out for BlackBerry. I have used that program on every one of my PDAs and phones since it first came out for Palm back in the day. This is the only phone type I have had actually that has not had Docs2Go. So it will be a welcome addition. And, creating a video recorder and something to play music is far easier to develop than an office suite. WAY WAY WAY easier.

http://www.facebook.com/numetheus
Old 11-21-2007, 12:29 PM   #63
tdawg00
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
PIN: 24aa7bfa
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by numetheus View Post
Who said they arent working on it? DocumentsToGo is coming out for BlackBerry. I have used that program on every one of my PDAs and phones since it first came out for Palm back in the day. This is the only phone type I have had actually that has not had Docs2Go. So it will be a welcome addition. And, creating a video recorder and something to play music is far easier to develop than an office suite. WAY WAY WAY easier.
i was under the impression that 4.3 included documents to go.

Hands-On With RIMxxx039;s New OS 4.3.1 for the BlackBerry Curve & BlackBerry Pearl 8100 | CrackBerry.com

Last edited by tdawg00; 11-21-2007 at 12:32 PM..
Old 11-21-2007, 12:54 PM   #64
ruechel
Thumbs Must Hurt

i wasn't talking about an office suite. this should have been resolved a long time ago: precisely when they came out with micro SD card capability, i.e. the 8800. this is BASIC stuff.

what makes you think it's harder to configure the OS to allow doc attachment/forward than coming out with video capability? explain that to me since you sound like you know the exact reason.

Nick
Old 11-21-2007, 01:03 PM   #65
luc-mobile

Carrier: Claro

Dynoplex sells Office document editing... It's not bad at all. Try it.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:05 PM   #66
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
i wasn't talking about an office suite. this should have been resolved a long time ago: precisely when they came out with micro SD card capability, i.e. the 8800. this is BASIC stuff.

what makes you think it's harder to configure the OS to allow doc attachment/forward than coming out with video capability? explain that to me since you sound like you know the exact reason.
Well because when I first started programming, I was able to create a console MP3 player in Linux with basic knowledge of libraries. As a beginning programmer, an MP3 player is doable because open source libraries for playback are readily available, and the interface is basic (unless you want pretty). I created one in a day. An office suite would take me a very very long time.

But yes, I agree that SOMEONE should have done a good office suite for it. But most developers that create mobile office suites really had no reason to create a BB one because the demand for it was not there like they were in Palm or Windows Mobile. So companies like Dataviz create software for THEM. Now that BB is becoming more popular, we are seeing more software developed for it. And you see it happening with Dataviz finally getting off their butts and looking at BB as a platform for their product.

http://www.facebook.com/numetheus
Old 11-21-2007, 01:18 PM   #67
VickyPaz

Carrier: TMobile

Quote:

I'm not trying to deter anyone from getting their questions answered and it's a free country but this thread was started to discuss the coming of video recording on OS 4.3...for those of us looking forward to the feature. For those who aren't looking forward to it or have other issues, perhaps another thread could be started so this thread stays on topic?

'I am stuck on Blackberry and my Blackberry's stuck on me'
Old 11-21-2007, 01:18 PM   #68
ruechel
Thumbs Must Hurt

ah. i see.

it's still stunning to me because initially the BB was targeted at professionals on the go rather than being a cross-over device the likes we see now with the 8800, 8300 lines.

i receive, review, edit and forward documents daily, mostly ms word and pdf files and i know a multitude of people who do as well. it seems intuitive to me to have had some basic functions included in the OS rather than having to load a software for it. i hope they make this happen soon.

Nick
Old 11-21-2007, 01:35 PM   #69
ruechel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Vicky,

so sorry. you're right: we got a bit off kilter here....

Nick
Old 11-21-2007, 01:53 PM   #70
VickyPaz

Carrier: TMobile

Nick, no apologies necessary. I certainly don't 'own' this thread. It's just that once you BB Techies (and I mean that very much as a compliment) get going on a subject...hard to get the thread back on topic :0)

I suppose though, there isn't much more to say on 4.3 video capabilities until the OS is actually released.

'I am stuck on Blackberry and my Blackberry's stuck on me'

Last edited by VickyPaz; 11-21-2007 at 01:55 PM..
Old 11-21-2007, 03:34 PM   #71
dirtypirate

Model: 8310
PIN: 0.7 Red Ink
Carrier: Slave by Contract to AT&T

Cant wait till 4.3 is released, I want the playlist feature already.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:56 AM   #72
Blaziniflo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

i'm reading people are having 4.3 on they're curveshttp://www.blackberryforums.com/afte...ml-reader.htmlwhat's going on?

edit: nvm, it's 4.3 for curve

Last edited by Blaziniflo; 11-22-2007 at 02:59 AM..
Old 11-22-2007, 10:25 AM   #73
swstranger
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

delete
Old 11-26-2007, 03:04 PM   #74
vincentnyc
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: at&t

ok we all know the 4.3.1 os will able to do video recording. can it also do audio recording as well? i dont see y not?
Old 11-26-2007, 03:28 PM   #75
luc-mobile

Please delete.

Last edited by luc-mobile; 11-26-2007 at 03:49 PM..
Old 11-26-2007, 03:44 PM   #76
luc-mobile

Yes, it can. The video that demonstrates video recording also demonstrates audio recording.

You know what, if you want to record audio, why wait for OS 4.31? I recommend VR+. So you can send your recording as voice messages by e-mail in the MP3 format. It is much better than typing when you have quite a lot to say in a given reply.

The 4.3 OS update will let us send the recordings by e-mail, but probably in AMR format only, which can be very inconvenient. I've sent test voice messages to a few friends who have Windows in their computers and about half of them could not play it. I told them they had to let Media Player download some codec (what the other half did), but they still couldn't get it to work for some reason. And as a Linux user, I still haven't been able to play AMR files on my system at all.

And now VR+ also lets you store your recordings online, so they are always accessible from any computer with Internet access. And they can be easily shared too. Not too shabby.

There, I plugged it again.

Last edited by luc-mobile; 11-26-2007 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: Merged two consecutive posts.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:33 PM   #77
vincentnyc
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: at&t

vr+ is no longer free. and the audio recording is probably just mostly use by me for meetings and stuff. i dont need to send it as email for now.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:25 PM   #78
Mr. Knight
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: t Of Guiness
Carrier: ATT - BIS

This Is Awesome, I Can't Wait For Video...
Old 01-30-2008, 10:15 AM   #79
rodriguitocaicedo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Movistar
Default where is the update

So does anyone know where or when is the OS update? It has been two months since the last post and i cant find it.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:25 AM   #80
Jwilliams1008
No longer Registered.

PIN: 243b2864

So the most current news I've been hearing about the new update (4.3/4.5) doesn't mention video capability. Is that still in the plans?
Closed Thread