BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 03:42 PM   #21
bubbaman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

First off, I'm talking about a 8703e and mainly Alltel.

When I bought the phone under Alltel's specs, it says that the 8703e is gps capable. They do not say anything about it being crippled. You look at the pick of the BB and you see a gps mapping program that looks like telenav. When I bought the BB I had absolutely no clue that it was crippled until I tried using it with BB Maps. Part of the reason I got the 8703e was because of the gps and full keyboard. From everything I saw on Alltel's website I had no idea that it would only work with 1 third-party app that you have to pay for, which sucks.

The reason I posted this in the first placed was because I was mad that I bought a device which is advertised by the manufacture as having GPS. They do not say "We have disabled the GPS and only 1 third party app that you have to pay additional money for will enable it."

Also, I cannot get tmobile, ATT, Verizon, or sprint in my area. I have a choice of Alltel, or another really small carrier, which is so small I can't even remember the name. I really do not have a choice of another carrier, if I did, I would be all over it.

Second, as far as a suit, all I would want is for them to make the device work as the manufacturer intended.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:11 PM   #22
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Your point is clear but from your post you said you bought it thinking it was GPs capable, which it is. If they are your only choice then can't see any options, dont think your going to drum up enough support for alltel to change their policy.

on a side note, you must be in a very rural area. I feel for you because the lack of choices sucks, I was in an area like that for awhile and it was quite a change.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:21 PM   #23
jgb@etree
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaman View Post
First off, I'm talking about a 8703e and mainly Alltel.

The reason I posted this in the first placed was because I was mad that I bought a device which is advertised by the manufacture as having GPS. They do not say "We have disabled the GPS and only 1 third party app that you have to pay additional money for will enable it."

Second, as far as a suit, all I would want is for them to make the device work as the manufacturer intended.
Well, just because your options are limited (to a 3rd party app w/ a monthly cost) they are not misrepresenting the GPS capability because it IS capable of using GPS. Just because something 'includes' functionality, it doesn't mean that the associated service is free.

Be thankful that you even have a GPS option. VZW has completely blocked this functionality. You can pay Telenav or one of the other providers all you want, and the functionality still won't work on a VZW 8703e

BES 5.0.4 ~ BES 10.1
Old 07-12-2007, 02:07 PM   #24
sabrewulf
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
Well, just because your options are limited (to a 3rd party app w/ a monthly cost) they are not misrepresenting the GPS capability because it IS capable of using GPS. Just because something 'includes' functionality, it doesn't mean that the associated service is free.

Be thankful that you even have a GPS option. VZW has completely blocked this functionality. You can pay Telenav or one of the other providers all you want, and the functionality still won't work on a VZW 8703e
WTF? Are you kidding me? Wow. I'll stay clear from Verizon in the future.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:16 PM   #25
thatharlemkat

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default No GPS on 8830!??

NOT TRUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
But you are wrong.

The 8800 has gps and it works.

The 8830 does not have gps, it is not disabled (that is word tossed about on this board), it just plain doesn't have it. Hence the different model number. Again, anyone could say, "I am suing because Ford didn't put Air Conditioning in my car, and I know they can do it because I see it in that model car over there. Even though I CHOSE to purchase another model which I know doesn't have AC, I am suing because Ford failed to put it my model also."

So, yes, one can sue for whatever they like. And judges across the county toss out more suits on the first filing than ever reach the light of day.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:18 PM   #26
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

ok, I'll edit it.

How's that?
Old 07-12-2007, 04:30 PM   #27
HeloCaptain

Model: 8800

... Telenav for $9.99/month and then it is useable. I haven't tried it, but another user said that if you do buy the Telenav, BBMaps will also work with the GPS after Telenav is installed.

You should try Yahoo Go Maps at Go: Phone Selection and Google maps Google Maps.

If your GPS is enabled on the phone (it should display your current lat/long position when you select settings>options>advanced options>GPS.

If you do see you lat/long, I suspect that both Google and Yahoo maps will work for you.

Let us know?
Old 07-12-2007, 08:51 PM   #28
sabrewulf
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000

Yes.. if TeleNav unlocks your internal GPS, it should work for any other GPS-enabled application afterwards.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:51 PM   #29
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Carrier: *

Hey, look at that... A sales advertisement which specifically has GPS and Verizon/Sprint on the same page. Can we have a lawsuit now? :rolleyes:

RIM BlackBerry 8830 Phone (Sprint / Verizon Wireless) - Mobiledia
Old 07-14-2007, 05:19 PM   #30
southwestcomm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Many
Carrier: Sprint

Of course that is a third party sales company constructing the information not VZ directly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98 View Post
Hey, look at that... A sales advertisement which specifically has GPS and Verizon/Sprint on the same page. Can we have a lawsuit now? :rolleyes:

RIM BlackBerry 8830 Phone (Sprint / Verizon Wireless) - Mobiledia
Old 07-14-2007, 08:54 PM   #31
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Carrier: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestcomm View Post
Of course that is a third party sales company constructing the information not VZ directly...
I'm willing to bet that if we contacted that company and asked them why they are stating that VZW also has GPS on their 8830 they'd have this "WTF are you taking about surprised look on their face." That alone should show everyone that even 3rd party resellers of these devices are baffled by the fact that VZW disables native features on phones.

Hey, check this out. I heard that the next Blackberry that comes from VZW will allow you to take calls, but not place them. You have to pay extra for that feature to be enabled.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:38 PM   #32
UOldGoat

Model: 8703e
Carrier: VZW

When I bought my 8703e and Verizon service it came with a 15 day trial period. GPS worked during that trial period (I could see my LAT/LON position in one of the options) and I decided to keep the phone and service thinking that it apparently included GPS capability along with the many other features I was still learning about. Sometime later, Verizon disabled the GPS feature on my phone. When I asked them about it they said they do not support GPS. Shady buggers they are. They can give and They can take away at their discretion. Too bad there is no good alternative in my area, yet.

And what was that about Ford not putting air conditioning in my model? I believe it's more about having air conditioning installed in the car you bought, but, you can't use it because they haven't figured out how to charge you for using it even though you have paid for the unit as indicated on the window sticker.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:42 PM   #33
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Oh, thank goodness this argument got started again....

* SIGH *
Old 09-16-2007, 08:48 PM   #34
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Hehehehehehe,,,,
Old 10-04-2007, 05:04 PM   #35
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT

1) I think class action lawsuits are a joke. The people only get $50 bucks or so (I just got something from tmobile about getting $50 for some class action lawsuit) while the attorneys get mega$ to satisfy their greed.

2) I do agree that if the Blackberry has the ability to show your position it should be required to do so in an emergency. All phones are able to make calls so the 911 mandate requires that any phone with service or not is allowed to make 911 calls. I think the same thing should happen with GPS. If it is capable of GPS, it should be required to give the cordinates in case of an emergency.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:17 PM   #36
kusellout69
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8530

I'd rather have my Verizon service without GPS, so I could actually place the call in a life threatening situation than a worthless Sprint/AT&T phone giving me "Call Cannot Be Completed" messages
Old 11-12-2007, 06:28 PM   #37
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

This thread is still open.....?

Yawn.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:29 PM   #38
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
This thread is still open.....?

Yawn.
yes and if you look I am not involved in this one lol
Old 11-12-2007, 06:32 PM   #39
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
yes and if you look I am not involved in this one lol
ditto!!!
Old 11-12-2007, 08:44 PM   #40
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Huh?? What's this thread about. I've been out of town.
Closed Thread