Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 09:45 AM   #1
mariog7
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted

I really want to consider purchasing a Storm, however I am not convinced about the keyboard, as compared to conventional qwerty Blackberries. I need to type fast and accurately. As the title says, can anyone on this forum actually admit that they can type just as fast and accurately on their Storm as compared to other Blackberries?

Thanks.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:33 AM   #2
Grailyn

Model: 9500
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

It took me a good week but I can honestly type slightly faster on my Storm than on my curve.

I did quite a bit of tweaking with the keyboard settings and auto-correcting spell check to figure out what worked best for me. I also had to convince myself to just type and only look up to check spelling about once per sentence before I got to this point.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:44 AM   #3
Rustproofcorn
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: verizon

you can go onto youtube and you will see a few people showing you how fast they can type on the qwerty keyboard and they do it pretty fast and accurate.. me personally i suck at qwerty but at suretype i am faster than on any phone i have ever been on and pretty dang accurate...
Old 12-11-2008, 10:46 AM   #4
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Model: 9630
PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I have finally gotten to the point where I can type just as fast on my storm as I could my curve. Here are a couple tips that help me out.

I type mostly in landscape mode ... Take a look at the landscape keyboard .. The space between T G V and Y H B are what separate the boundaries of which keys you use with which thumb. Never go past that line with either thumb and that makes a huge difference controlling your error rate. I always wanted to hit B H and Y with my left thumb and those are right thumb only buttons. The second trick for me is to never touch two buttons at once. Set up a rhythm in which you only place one thumb or finger down at a time. This helped me a bunch as well.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:55 AM   #5
mrmartymac
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariog7 View Post
Wirelessly posted

I really want to consider purchasing a Storm, however I am not convinced about the keyboard, as compared to conventional qwerty Blackberries. I need to type fast and accurately. As the title says, can anyone on this forum actually admit that they can type just as fast and accurately on their Storm as compared to other Blackberries?

Thanks.
MarioG,

IMHO, you need to ask yourself "why DO I want a Storm?" If the answer is to type as fast as you can on a Curve or any other BB with a physical keyboard, then you MIGHT... I stress might be disappointed.

IF the reason you want the Storm is to have a gorgeous screen on a VZW BB that supports GPS and has a decent camera (read not a replacement for a real camera) that you can honestly watch a movie on during a flight/train ride, then buy a Storm.

I love mine, but I think I could honestly type faster on my 8830 and I don't expect to exceed that speed. One fact that I do not believe is open to debate is that on the Storm you cannot type a second character until you have fully lifted your finger from the screen and the screen has fully returned to the top of its travel.

HOWEVER, with the screw adjustment described in this thread ( http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-9500-series-discussion-storm/163521-alternative-screen-fix.html ), there is a great deal of tuning you can do to enhance your typing.

I hope this helps... and again, this is simply my opinion.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:14 AM   #6
mundyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm

I think what does it for me, is that this is the first SureType BB I have had. I have always felt like SureType was an inferior T9 wanna-be. But after using it I find it quite nice. Unless I'm typing a word that I know is not in the dictonary, like an email address or web address, then I just let it do all the work. I have also customized the dictonary with words and abbreviations that I use often. All that said, I don't see how I could possibly type any faster on a physical SureType keyboard, however I was pretty fast on the Curve.

I don't, like "mrmartymac", believe that keyboard speed is make or break for the device. If keyboard speed alone were your ONLY concern, you should get a 7000 series.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:20 AM   #7
BBHorrigan

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

I've been debating going to verizon to get a storm, and that might be the only reason I have no made the move. From what I've read, it seems a lot of people are having a tough time making the transition with the keyboard. Maybe its just a steep learning curve then.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:21 AM   #8
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBHorrigan View Post
I've been debating going to verizon to get a storm, and that might be the only reason I have no made the move. From what I've read, it seems a lot of people are having a tough time making the transition with the keyboard. Maybe its just a steep learning curve then.
It's not that bad.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:27 AM   #9
jjd228

Carrier: Verizon. (Exchange/BES Architect & Engineer since the very very beginning :)

Definitely not as fast as I am on my Curve, and I have a hard time believing anyone that says they are. But it's a cool new toy, and it was free so... why not?
Old 12-11-2008, 11:28 AM   #10
mrmartymac
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mundyb View Post
I think what does it for me, is that this is the first SureType BB I have had. I have always felt like SureType was an inferior T9 wanna-be. But after using it I find it quite nice. Unless I'm typing a word that I know is not in the dictonary, like an email address or web address, then I just let it do all the work. I have also customized the dictonary with words and abbreviations that I use often. All that said, I don't see how I could possibly type any faster on a physical SureType keyboard, however I was pretty fast on the Curve.

I don't, like "mrmartymac", believe that keyboard speed is make or break for the device. If keyboard speed alone were your ONLY concern, you should get a 7000 series.
Mundyb,

I must not have made my point clear enough. I, like you, do not believe that it is a "make or break" matter. My point to the OP was IF typing speed is the SOLE reason you are getting a Storm, then there are, IMHO, more speed-typing-friendly BBs out there.

I think we agree?

MrMartyMac
Old 12-11-2008, 11:36 AM   #11
mundyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

We do agree sir!hehe I sometimes take the long way round. Forgive me.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:08 PM   #12
searly
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: Mine...

My complaint is not the typing on the keyboard, rather, it is trying to make corrections! Trying to get the "curser" into the correct position is just painful (for me anyway). Given that I still make more errors than I would like, going back to correct them is dreadful! That being said, I may not know any good tricks in making corrections to typed words and phrases....
Old 12-11-2008, 12:39 PM   #13
I8UB4
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by searly View Post
My complaint is not the typing on the keyboard, rather, it is trying to make corrections! Trying to get the "curser" into the correct position is just painful (for me anyway). Given that I still make more errors than I would like, going back to correct them is dreadful! That being said, I may not know any good tricks in making corrections to typed words and phrases....
Placing the cursor in the right position is easy once you know the trick.

In a sentence, click the screen where you want the cursor to go. It will probably end up a little to the left, right, up or down from where you actually want it. No worries. Hold your finger still anywhere on the screen (don't click), and after a second the cursor will turn into a black rectangle. Then slide your finger so that the cursor goes exactly where you want it and remove your finger.

Once I learned this, it made all the difference in the world.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:43 PM   #14
Allybertz

Model: 9500
Carrier: Vodafone UK

It took me a while but I can type pretty fast on mine now. Maybe not as fast as a regular qwerty, but certainly fast and accurate.

But I suppose, my fast could be another persons slow.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:58 PM   #15
searly
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: Mine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by I8UB4 View Post
Placing the cursor in the right position is easy once you know the trick.

In a sentence, click the screen where you want the cursor to go. It will probably end up a little to the left, right, up or down from where you actually want it. No worries. Hold your finger still anywhere on the screen (don't click), and after a second the cursor will turn into a black rectangle. Then slide your finger so that the cursor goes exactly where you want it and remove your finger.

Once I learned this, it made all the difference in the world.
Not bad... thanks! It will take some getting used to, but a great step! Thanks again...
Old 12-11-2008, 02:47 PM   #16
gshine666
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: to.

I type about as fast as I did with my curve. That being said, I type much faster with both on a regular computer keyboard. I'm sure I not near any records on any of the three. I am happy with the Storm though.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:53 PM   #17
rifraf

I suck at typing period, so I can say I type as bad I did on my curve. Is that any help?
Old 12-11-2008, 03:24 PM   #18
cinderbloke

Carrier: VZW
Default The silver lining to using the Storm's keyboards ...

As has been reported (as a positive) by the recipients of my Storm-created messages, the silver lining is that my messages are now much more concise.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:02 PM   #19
misterbulldog
Thumbs Must Hurt

If you get a Storm it's up to you as to how fast you will be able to type. I'm not up to my pre-Storm QWERTY speed but I'm getting better every day. I regularly check the forum for tips-and-tricks which has helped alot.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:43 PM   #20
ralsan2
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: t-mobile

I typed much much faster on my curve. That is why I'm considering returning my storm. I love everything else about it but I do need to type fast I haven't made up my mind yet.. But if u're like me maybe u shouldn't get a storm..
Closed Thread