Old 06-13-2008, 06:58 AM   #1
paulyjsob
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Pearl > Curve > Pearl

Please Login to Remove!

I wanted to see what the Curve hype was about so I went out and bought one retail (Verizon). After using it for a week, I went back to the Pearl. The Curve is a great device, but I couldn't get used to the size. Everyone seems to say that its a "TAD" bigger, but in reality, it seems like a big difference. Especially since I typically throw my phone in my pocket (not a fan of holsters). The QWERTY keyboard is nice, but I have actually gotten used to the suretype in the Pearl and seem to actually be able to type faster (it does get confused every once in a while). The screen is a little bigger, but all in all, it didn't make that much of a difference to me.
I know a lot of this is personal preference and I'm not bashing the curve in any way, but in the end, it made me REALLY appreciate the pearl.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:16 AM   #2
Jenks Woodman

Model: 8100
Carrier: ATT

that's why manufacturers make more than one model of a product. viewing the discussions on this board over the past couple of months i realize i don't use my pearl to the max that others do, but for me it does everything i want/need. isn't capitalism great?
Old 06-14-2008, 02:30 PM   #3
JNHohol

Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyjsob View Post
I wanted to see what the Curve hype was about so I went out and bought one retail (Verizon). After using it for a week, I went back to the Pearl. The Curve is a great device, but I couldn't get used to the size. Everyone seems to say that its a "TAD" bigger, but in reality, it seems like a big difference. Especially since I typically throw my phone in my pocket (not a fan of holsters). The QWERTY keyboard is nice, but I have actually gotten used to the suretype in the Pearl and seem to actually be able to type faster (it does get confused every once in a while). The screen is a little bigger, but all in all, it didn't make that much of a difference to me.
I know a lot of this is personal preference and I'm not bashing the curve in any way, but in the end, it made me REALLY appreciate the pearl.
I have been dealing with the same question. When I first bought my Pearl, I wanted the smallest BB possible because I was coming from a small phone. The Curve seems a lot larger, but side by side it isn't that much. I also like to keep my Pearl in my pocket and I think that the Curve would be just a little too much. Thanks for your perspective, I just don't think the Curve offers me that much more then my Pearl to make the switch.

I think I will wait for the Bold to come out, hopefully with CDMA and WIFI, and then I can use the Pearl on the run and the Bold at home.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:45 PM   #4
strike2tamu
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted (8100 Strike 2)

I am a huge fan of the pearl, should be interesting to see the difference in the bold. I can hardly wait.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:54 PM   #5
li2327
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: 30504C7A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted (7130e)

I had the curve as well and ended up switching back to a pearl. Its a matter of personal preference.
Old 06-15-2008, 05:52 AM   #6
plasticities

Model: 8100
Carrier: t-mobile

it seems like most people who start with the pearl switch back to it when they try to go to the curve.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:04 AM   #7
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

I had the Pearl for a long time and then went to the Curve. It took me about 2-3 weeks to get used to it. During that time, i REALLY wanted to switch back to the Pearl. However, now, I wouldn't switch back if you paid me. The Curve is so much nicer. To each his/her own, though.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:03 PM   #8
kalinka
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: ATT and verizon

I just switched last week. I am trying to get used to the Curve and will give it a few weeks. I do love the bigger screen but I find the keyboard to be much slower and not as movement economical as the Pearl. Right now I am slow on it and make a lot of mistakes. I try to speed it up but then i have many more typing errors than the sure type ever did.

I find that the call logs, email and text logs are much easier to work with on the Curve. There is much more info on one line so there is a lot less scrolling. The display is also much brighter.

I think i would like the QWERTY keyboard with better buttons i would like it more but they are too small and too dark.

If i could get the curve with a Pearl Keypad it would be perfect for me. The Jury is still out but I have not seen any sort of speed/accuracy improvement in a week of use.
Kalinka
Old 06-15-2008, 02:40 PM   #9
Getup1995
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

I also had the Pearl and switched to the Curve. At first I was not sold and wanted to switch back to the Pearl. Now, after a few weeks I agree with Kalinka, the Curve is much better in my opinion. The larger screen is brighter and the tones are louder on the Verizon version of the Curve than the Pearl. I did find that it was harder to type with my fat fingers on the Curve, but I got over that and can type at the same rate on both devices.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:54 PM   #10
kalinka
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getup1995 View Post
I also had the Pearl and switched to the Curve. At first I was not sold and wanted to switch back to the Pearl. Now, after a few weeks I agree with Kalinka, the Curve is much better in my opinion. The larger screen is brighter and the tones are louder on the Verizon version of the Curve than the Pearl. I did find that it was harder to type with my fat fingers on the Curve, but I got over that and can type at the same rate on both devices.
That is encouraging., I could type on the pearl without concentrating at all I am hoping this occurs with the Curve for me. I like the fact that I can switch back if i need to, I still have a pearl its just connected to a master phone line so its only used to transfer calls back and forth.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:16 PM   #11
Girion
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: T of Guinness plz

Wirelessly posted

I was in the same boat. I had the 7130 and loved it as a change from the full keyboard version.

I switched to the 8830 on Verizon when it came out because of the trackball but ended up haying the keyboard so much I immediately got the Pearl when it came out.

I really love the smaller form factor of the Pearl and I've looked at the Curve in the stores but I just don't know if I could go back to a Qwerty even if I tried.

"For pretty things that serve no use, the true art finds its tether.
To those who know illumination comes wickless in the nether."
Old 06-15-2008, 10:57 PM   #12
oakie

Model: 9700
PIN: CERS!
Carrier: T-Mobile, Verizon

my girlfriend is in the middle of the dilemma right now... she's coming up on the end of her contract and is debating between the curve and the pearl. she just tried out both last night side by side.

she loves the larger screen and full qwerty of the curve (she has tiny fingers, so she loves it even more) but the svelte pearl and it's doubletap keyboard (she dislikes suretype) are also very attractive to her as she feels she can doubletap type as fast or faster than she can type on the curve. the size of the curve is worth the trade for a larger screen, in her opinion.

and after sleeping on it, she still cant decide between the two since T-Mobile corporate has the two phones advertised for the same price right now.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:21 AM   #13
faerie

Model: 8330
Carrier: us cellular

i am torn. i have 2 weeks to decide. i am already enjoyin the tiny pearl and the sure type and concerned i will be hopelesson a full qwerty. does the curve allow for adding words to the dictionary like the suretype does? i am moving fast on the suretype and never used a qwerty on a small space (except a laptop haha)
Old 06-23-2008, 02:20 AM   #14
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

You can add various abbreviations in Options > AutoText and have the phone replace the abbreviation(s) with the word(s) you meant. Great option, I use it a lot on my 8800 even with the full QWERTY.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:06 PM   #15
gdrumm

Model: 8703

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakie View Post
my girlfriend is in the middle of the dilemma right now... she's coming up on the end of her contract and is debating between the curve and the pearl. she just tried out both last night side by side.

she loves the larger screen and full qwerty of the curve (she has tiny fingers, so she loves it even more) but the svelte pearl and it's doubletap keyboard (she dislikes suretype) are also very attractive to her as she feels she can doubletap type as fast or faster than she can type on the curve. the size of the curve is worth the trade for a larger screen, in her opinion.

and after sleeping on it, she still cant decide between the two since T-Mobile corporate has the two phones advertised for the same price right now.
I actually have both of these phones. I use the Curve for work stuff, and the Pearl for personal stuff. I just the Pearl over the weekend, so it's taking a little getting used to, but I've had the Curve for a couple of months and I love it. I was going to get another Curve for my personal phone, but thought this might get a little too confusing, since I typically carry both phones with me most of the time.

I also got the pink Pearl for my wife, so we're both still getting used to the functions. I'll be happy report back in a couple of weeks and let you all know what I find.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:30 PM   #16
happdgirl

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I to had been a long time pearl user and then switched to the curve when it came out on verizon...I went back to the store the next day! I actually traded it in for a pink pearl, which I had been wanting since I had the silver. Anybody want a silver pearl for Verizon? haha.

I have small hands and the curve was just way to big for me...I'm a pearl girlie..
Old 06-23-2008, 08:45 PM   #17
Blakely
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: verizon

LOVE my Pearl. Love the size. Don't wear belts so holsters are out of the question. Pearl fits perfectly in my pockets. All personal preference though...
Old 06-24-2008, 12:43 AM   #18
faerie

Carrier: us cellular

this is where i am leaning. spent today for a while playing wiht the curve holding it as a cell phone to my ear and the practicing on the full keyboard. the keys are so tiny. i do like the brighter screen on the curve and the size of the screen but not sure ... spoiled on the suretype because it speeds up things. and i love sticking it in my pocket and the curve just isn't as comfy. still have another week to decide.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:20 AM   #19
lesarmitage
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: Voda UK (9900+PB)

ME:
History....
7290 = Okay for emails. Phone unusable but poor
7100 = Okay for email. Okay for phone.
8700 = What a workhorse and unfortunately feels like a workhorse in the pocket. Good in the business; good as a phone.
8100 = Good for email. Suretype a learning curve. Very good in the pocket. Operationally a bit slow.
8310 = What a workhorse. Wonderful email and general functionality. Keyboard nowhere near the 8700 for the business for me too much in the pocket
8120 = Smooth; Once your used to Suretype most of the time it's great and fast. Wi-Fi spectacular. Verdict up to now = very good business and very good in the pocket

8120! The best so far
Old 06-24-2008, 03:42 PM   #20
kalinka
Thumbs Must Hurt

I have had the curve for about 2.5 weeks now. One would imagine that there is a more of a learning curve on the Pearl with the sure type but there is just as much learning curve typing on the curve. The keys seem so small and there are so many of them and at first I made more typos on that then on the pearl. After a bit the different keyboard lay out gets more instinctive and now I can almost type as fast. The only thing that slows me down is the lack of predictive text. I was used to typing 3 letters and then scrolling to the word which makes things really fast.

I still like talking on the Pearl better, it is more comfortable to hold as a phone, the curve feels a little like a brick to me but for the most part I am on a blue tooth all day long so it really does not make a difference.

I have found the battery life to be about the same. I dont know why that is as I thought that the curve had a longer talk time but i have not seen that so far.

The cost of having to type the entire word rather than sure type is worth the ability to be able to type words and email addresses and abbreviations that are unknown to the custom dictionary. I still have the pearl and as a pivot and back up phone so i can still use it but after a few weeks I have decided that the Curve is a keeper and has been very solid.

kalinka
Closed Thread