Old 12-14-2009, 06:17 PM   #1
Noodle22
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default Wind Mobile (Globealive)

Please Login to Remove!

Looks like the CRTC overturned the decision to not let these guys operate, they should be launching any day now.

WIND | Answering Questions

Their website looks somewhat childish to me, I'm not sure how well they'll be able to break into a market that's already so saturated, or how they can afford their low rates and still give good subsidies on phones.

Be interesting to see how it turns out
Old 12-14-2009, 08:41 PM   #2
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Competition is always good for the consumer, but having said that, I have my doubts about the viability of a new provider especially in this economic environment. I would LOVE to see them make it, but I wouldn't buy stock in their company right now.

It's also a cool name for a company!
Old 12-14-2009, 09:41 PM   #3
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
Competition is always good for the consumer, but having said that, I have my doubts about the viability of a new provider especially in this economic environment. I would LOVE to see them make it, but I wouldn't buy stock in their company right now.

It's also a cool name for a company!
I like the name too... WIND is actually licensed from the Italian provider WIND, which oddly enough was the only network on which my phone would operate correctly whilst I was there.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:32 PM   #4
Noodle22

I've seen a website that says this is the same company that runs in Italy, but I haven't seen much confirmation of that.

I've seen samples of the plans they are looking to bring out, I'm hoping it starts a trend in Canada of lower prices to compete. All companies are used to charging a ton, and none of them want to go any lower than the other. I wouldn't put my faith into a company that isn't that well established yet, but I'm hoping with it, and other competitors coming out in the Canadian market within the next few quarters, it will drive prices down.

Things are about to get interesting They launch any day now, and my work is in preparedness mode right now on how we're going to deal with it.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:02 AM   #5
Noodle22

Globalive expected to offer Wind Mobile at $15 a month

There is another article on it, where the chairman said that discount brands have no long term sustainability, so the reports of these very cheap all inclusive price plans are somewhat conflicting.

I'm surprised more Canadians are not interested in this on the forum! But maybe I should have put this in the general section. :/
Old 12-15-2009, 09:21 AM   #6
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle22 View Post
I've seen a website that says this is the same company that runs in Italy, but I haven't seen much confirmation of that.

I've seen samples of the plans they are looking to bring out, I'm hoping it starts a trend in Canada of lower prices to compete. All companies are used to charging a ton, and none of them want to go any lower than the other. I wouldn't put my faith into a company that isn't that well established yet, but I'm hoping with it, and other competitors coming out in the Canadian market within the next few quarters, it will drive prices down.

Things are about to get interesting They launch any day now, and my work is in preparedness mode right now on how we're going to deal with it.
Being a majority-owned Italian company was the whole reason that the CRTC tried to block them from launching.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:14 AM   #7
Noodle22

Yes, I was just reading about that this morning. Nothing like getting up at 6 am to read about the telecommunications industry!

That's why Bell, Rogers, and Telus moved to block them from operating, as it's mostly foreign owned and not a "Canadian" company.

I was reading about the frequency they will be using as well, which will not allow people to use unlocked phones on their network, or phones from them on others.

"Why WIND?

WIND is an established and growing brand with a successful history of over 10 years in two large European markets (Italy and Greece). WIND is a brand of Wind Telecomunicazione, an operating unit of Weather Investments s.p.A., and its customer base shares a very similar profile with our primary target segment.
By choosing the brand name WIND, wexxx8217;re not only leveraging its legacy as a challenger, but also its operational intelligence and global experience, bringing global standards for value and service to Canada. This provides us with a solid launching pad as we enter a very competitive and closely held market. "

Edit http://www.windmobile.ca/community/detail/3982/ I'm also enjoying these videos! Haha.

Last edited by Noodle22; 12-15-2009 at 10:16 AM..
Old 12-15-2009, 10:20 AM   #8
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

The reason is that WIND is using AWS spectrum, which is not common yet. I believe they will be able to use phones made for T-Mobile USA 3G and vice versa though.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:48 AM   #9
Noodle22

I don't know much about AWS, but yes you are correct. I was going to say AWS spectrum, but I wanted to verify that before posting it, and could not find the page I saw it on before.

I'm not too familiar with it to be honest. But I would like to learn more

I like reading the comments people put up, there's a lot of hatred going on against the big 3 (Telus, Bell, Rogers).
Old 12-15-2009, 05:32 PM   #10
AMD_5

Model: 8130
Carrier: Still deciding

The Big 3 are scared sh*tless because they know that they can't pull in massive profit if they have to compete against WIND.

Going to be a very interesting 2010 in Canada. Let's hope WIND runs Rogers, Bell and Telus into the ground.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:25 PM   #11
Noodle22

I doubt WIND will, to be honest, how can they expect to make money if they have such low prices? I do see that they don't subsidize the hardware, so no contracts, you'll have the purchase the phone outright, which saves them money.

I think they'll come in, stir things up for about a year, then someone will buy them out.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:46 PM   #12
AMD_5

Model: 8130
Carrier: Still deciding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle22 View Post
I doubt WIND will, to be honest, how can they expect to make money if they have such low prices? I do see that they don't subsidize the hardware, so no contracts, you'll have the purchase the phone outright, which saves them money.

I think they'll come in, stir things up for about a year, then someone will buy them out.
They will make money, just not as much as Robellus. But given a few years, they'll be a major competitor if they play their cards right

I hope that they'll be stirring things up for more than a year. If anybody is going to be bought out, it will be DAVE Wireless
Old 12-16-2009, 05:21 PM   #13
onebigcanuck

Model: 8700
Carrier: Telus
Smile

When you look at carriers in the USA, you can buy a throw away phone for 30 bucks and get 300 anywhere minutes and call anybody in the USA (and that is not the best deal), Wind will make it better for all Canadians and still make money.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:30 PM   #14
Noodle22

So their plans and phones seem to be dissappointing a lot of people.

I've been following it all day, and reactions are not great.

Their plans only work in Calgary and Toronto, leave that area and your unlimited plan becomes .25 cents a minute.

Too early to say. And no mid range plans either. It's either 10 dollars for social networking on bb's, or 35 for unl data for bb's and smartphones. They only have four models of phones as well, the 9700 is 450.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:27 AM   #15
Kirkx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Bell Mobility (Canada)

Quote:
WIND is an established and growing brand with a successful history of over 10 years in two large European markets (Italy and Greece). WIND is a brand of Wind Telecomunicazione, an operating unit of Weather Investments s.p.A.
While all this is true, Weather Investments, just like Wind Mobile, is controlled by Egypt's Orascom Telecom Holding SAE and that's where most of funding is coming from. They mostly do business in Africa, a few Asian countries, Italy and Greece as mentioned before, and, of all places, North Korea! If they can make money in N.Korea they will for sure survive in Canada too.

Globalive phone battle headed to cabinet - The Globe and Mail
Globalive - The minnow in the shark tank - The Globe and Mail

Orascom Telecom - Global Presence

Last edited by Kirkx; 12-20-2009 at 08:38 AM..
Old 12-20-2009, 12:10 PM   #16
Noodle22

I don't think they are doing too well so far. A lot of customers are calling and wanting to cancel and go to them not realising that due to the AWS spectrum their phones won't work on their network and that they have to buy one of their phones.

Their outright pricing for the hardware isn't bad though. Their unl data has a 5gb soft cap to where your usage get's slowed down if you go over, and if you leave the GTA or Calgary it's 10 cents for every 25kb because those are their only 'Home Zones'

A lot of people are upset because they don't have a blackberry email only plan, they only have 35 for unlimited data, and 10 for social networking. A lot of people want a midground.

I don't see them being a long standing company unless they make changes.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:31 AM   #17
Kirkx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Bell Mobility (Canada)

No one had to worry about AWS until the Egyptians arrived to save us from Bell/Telus/Rogers.

AWS seems to be an old name for T-Mobile UMTS frequencies of 1700 / 2100 MHz. No other carrier in the world (including USA) has been using 1700 MHz until Wind Mobile for some strange reason decided to adopt it too.

Most Common UMTS Frequencies:

- 1900 / 2100 MHz - Europe, Asia, Brazil
- 1700 / 2100 MHz - Canada (Wind Mobile), USA (T-Mobile); it's sometimes called AWS instead of UMTS
- 850 / 1900 MHz - Canada (Rogers, Bell, Telus), USA (AT&T), Brazil, some other S.American countries
- 850 / 900 / 2100 MHz - Australia
- 800 / 1900 / 2100 MHz - Japan

Usually, the UMTS handset supports three or four frequencies, all what's needed to get a pretty decent global coverage is 850/1900/2100 MHz. Here is example for BB 9700 Bold:

2100/1900/850/800 MHz

Ref: BlackBerry - 9700 Specifications - New BlackBerry Bold 9700 Specs

Last edited by Kirkx; 12-21-2009 at 05:36 AM..
Old 12-21-2009, 07:56 AM   #18
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

I'm skeptical about Wind's chances. I would LOVE for another carrier to spring up and be a force in the telecom sector, but it's tough sledding out there!

One thing we've all seen is how having the hottest new phones is a key to success. Where would AT&T be without the iPhone? And with Wind relying on AWS, that puts a big limitation on their choice of handsets. Lack of subsidized handsets will also hurt. Folks are used to trading the onus of a contract for less money out of pocket up front.

Put those things together and you're relying on a lot of folks being so fed up with their current carrier that they jump on any alternative, just to get out from under their current carrier's thumb. Will there be enough of those kind of people to support a start-up venture? How long will Wind operate in Canada at a loss before the parent company pulls the plug?
Old 12-21-2009, 08:35 AM   #19
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkx View Post
No one had to worry about AWS until the Egyptians arrived to save us from Bell/Telus/Rogers.

AWS seems to be an old name for T-Mobile UMTS frequencies of 1700 / 2100 MHz. No other carrier in the world (including USA) has been using 1700 MHz until Wind Mobile for some strange reason decided to adopt it too.

Most Common UMTS Frequencies:

- 1900 / 2100 MHz - Europe, Asia, Brazil
- 1700 / 2100 MHz - Canada (Wind Mobile), USA (T-Mobile); it's sometimes called AWS instead of UMTS
- 850 / 1900 MHz - Canada (Rogers, Bell, Telus), USA (AT&T), Brazil, some other S.American countries
- 850 / 900 / 2100 MHz - Australia
- 800 / 1900 / 2100 MHz - Japan

Usually, the UMTS handset supports three or four frequencies, all what's needed to get a pretty decent global coverage is 850/1900/2100 MHz. Here is example for BB 9700 Bold:

2100/1900/850/800 MHz

Ref: BlackBerry - 9700 Specifications - New BlackBerry Bold 9700 Specs
You really don't understand radio frequency.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:43 AM   #20
Noodle22

Like I said Rambo, their most likely looking to come in, stir things up, and then sell off later on. Unless this company makes some changes, they will not be able to last more than a year.

Due to our recent recession, many cannot afford to buy the phones outright, even with the enticing low cost plans. And they don't have any midlevel plans either, which to those who don't want or need unlimited talk and text doesn't help. And since there is no contract, the customer has to buy a new phone to continue on with them at no subsidy on the hardware. So essentially they are with them because they choose to be, I don't really see any retention options in the future from WIND's side.
Closed Thread