Old 03-29-2010, 10:48 AM   #1
rafster

Model: 7520
PIN: 41088088
Carrier: Nextel
Default Direct Connect on 7520 issue while roaming internationally

Please Login to Remove!

Hi All,

I have a 7520 with Nextel service. I am having a very strange problem. When I go down to Tijuana or anywhere else in Baja California my phone's DC feature goes in active. I can use data, I can make and receive phone calls, I can send and receive text/mms, I can receive alerts and direct DC conversations, but I can't send alerts or answer them. When this happens, I see that my signal status says "nXTL". I did a little bit of research and this is what I found.

Quote:
Possibilities: NXTL, nxtl, nXTL, NxTL, NXtL, NXTl, OFF

N: Phone
X: Direct Connect
T: Web
L: Data

"NXTL": Fully operational.

"nXTL" (Phone is unavailable)

Solution 1: Wireless is turned off. Scroll to icon labelled "turn wireless on" and press trackwheel.

Solution 2: Coverage not available. Check signal strength, if signal is low try raising antenna, or moving to a different area until coverage is found.

Solution 3: Possible network outage. Check other phones in the area, if same problem there may be a network issue.

Solution 4: Perform master radio reset. Choose options, security options, general settings, click trackwheel, master radio reset, click yes to restore setting, for password hold alt and press space bar 6 times, 000000. Go back to main screen and turn wireless on.
The weird thing is I had a Motorola i9 phone (just your run of the mill iDen phone), and I can send and receive alerts, and have DC conversations all day long all over Baja California. I am thinking it might have something to do with the service books, but I don't know which to update.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks,

Rafster
Old 03-29-2010, 11:30 PM   #2
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Have you pulled the battery whilst in TJ?

Also, consider upgrading to the 8350i or changing to a GSM service provider.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
rafster

Model: 7520
PIN: 41088088
Carrier: Nextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
Have you pulled the battery whilst in TJ?

Also, consider upgrading to the 8350i or changing to a GSM service provider.
Yes, I have. I unfortunately still am under contract. I also, HAVE to use Nextel because it's the only way I can keep in touch (inexpensively with clients in Mexico [Via Direct Connect])
Old 04-05-2010, 11:22 PM   #4
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafster View Post
Yes, I have. I unfortunately still am under contract. I also, HAVE to use Nextel because it's the only way I can keep in touch (inexpensively with clients in Mexico [Via Direct Connect])
I won't ask what business you're in that you can only connect with your clients via DC, but if it is the business I think it is, you should be able to afford to buy an 8350i outright.

Also, most service providers in the US have inexpensive calling plans for US-Mexico calling.