BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 01:45 PM   #1
just4747
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: VZW
Default REQUEST: App to change color temperature on Storm screen.

Please Login to Remove!

I wish so badly I had the capability to make this on my own, but no programming experience.
Since half of us has the warmer color temperature/yellowish-tinted screen and the other half has the cooler color temp/bluish-tinted screen, and some of each want the opposite than what they have, can someone work on an app to change to either one? Is it possible?

As far as my personal experience goes (and probably others'), I had returned my Storm twice for a new one because of certain issues. My original had the infinitely better-looking (IMO) warmer-colored screen..it was excellent looking, sharp, and rich in color- blacks actually looked like blacks, not purplish-gray.
But both of my replacements I've had (including the one I am sticking with because it is problem-free otherwise), had the cooler, bluer color temperature that many people dislike. It seems the newer batches might be constantly coming with these screens/calibrations (BTW, is it a calibration issue or actually different screens/backlighting?).

I've seen it mentioned several times on the forums that it might be possible for a 3rd party app to be able to switch this calibration kind of like an LCD TV's settings can do. So is anyone working on a similar app or can anyone?
Just thought I'd make a thread about this since I've seen it mentioned so many times in other threads.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:44 PM   #2
voyagor

Carrier: verizon

there are two different kinds of screens? i was not aware of that
Old 01-15-2009, 03:53 PM   #3
just4747

Yeah...the users on the Crackberry forums seem a lot more knowledgeable to it then the ones on here. I myself didn't know about it until I noticed my own screens were different and then I went searching on the CB forums and found out that it was a well-known thing for the most part.
There is a thread on there comparing the two where you can even see on there that the warmer-colored one is much richer and truer in color, here it is: (will edit when I find the link)
Old 01-15-2009, 05:51 PM   #4
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Model: 9630
PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Yeah, iPhone has similar problem (2 different Screens) ... Wouldn't surprise me if the actual manufacturers of the LCD's were the same that Apple uses ... Both screens are definitely different, I was fortunate to end up with the better screen on my 5th device. 1st one had the blueish screen (Yuck!)
Old 01-15-2009, 06:06 PM   #5
k9th
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 30D86D60

I am unaware of any screen "color" at all outside of what is being displayed. How do you tell you have a screen color and what it is? My Storm has been great right out of the box - haven't had to tweak a single thing and it works flawlessly every time.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:11 PM   #6
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

PIN: ????

Click on the options screen .. Look at the white at an angle ... Most people like the yellowish tinted screen over the blueish one. The blue one seems to not look as good from an angle.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:22 PM   #7
k9th
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 30D86D60

Guess my tri-focals won't allow me to see it - I honestly see nothing but a white screen from any angle up to almost 90 degrees.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:40 AM   #8
just4747

The way to really see it if you don't already know the differences instantly...go to Options and Screen/Keyboard settings...if the buttons there are a purplish-gray color, you have the crappier, cooler-temperature screen. But if the buttons are a nice, deep, rich black like they are SUPPOSED to be, then you have the much better, warmer-temperature screen. I tried looking for the link that compares them in pics, but it honestly must have disappeared, I looked everywhere.
If anyone can find it (it was either here or on Crackberry), the thread was called something like "Proof of two different screens, with pics!".

So is it possible for someone to make an app to change the color temp like an LCD monitor/TV???
Old 01-16-2009, 05:02 AM   #9
EBlanco
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9350
Carrier: Verizon

That's funny, I was just discussing this topic with my husband.

I put our two phones together and his was much brighter and nicer than mine. I checked the brightness on it and everything was the exact same. His screen is so much better than mine.
I read up on it and it said that the so-called "crappier" screens (which I have) are made in Mexico, and the brighter ones are made in Canada.

Why can't we all have bright screens?

Thanks a lot Mexico! :P
Old 01-16-2009, 08:47 AM   #10
conazo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Wirelessly posted

I have the blue screen and I rather keep it than the yellow one. I know exactly what is like and I hate the yellow screen.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:21 AM   #11
Masterteee89
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Verizon

I bought my Storm a week after release. Couple days later i noticed a dead pixel. I took it back to Verizon to get a replacement. They brought out a brand new one.. I turned it on to take a look at it.. the screen looked like *#*#! It was made in Mexico my original was made in Canada. So i decided to deal with the dead pixel cause my storms screen looked way better!

Heres a snap shot of my storms screen i dont know if you can tell over a pic

Old 01-16-2009, 09:26 AM   #12
just4747

I'm not sure what you guys mean when you are saying the "brighter" screen is the better one..it's the opposite. The bluish-tinted/cooler temperature colored screen has whites that are WAYY brighter and more bliding, especially in the dark..no matter what brightness it's at. It hurts your eyes sometimes.

The better screen with richer, truer colors and more sharpness is the yellowish-tinted (barely)/warmer temperature colored screen.

It's the same as any LCD screen when you mess with the settings. Why they decided they had to ruin the phone for half of us by using the cooler temp, I'll never know. But every time I look at my phone I can't help but think about it and how much better my 1st Storm looked. I just can't keep trading mine in though, especially because mine now has no other issues physically.

So again, is this a possibly creatable app???
Old 01-16-2009, 09:29 AM   #13
conazo

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4747 View Post
I'm not sure what you guys mean when you are saying the "brighter" screen is the better one..it's the opposite. The bluish-tinted/cooler temperature colored screen has whites that are WAYY brighter and more bliding, especially in the dark..no matter what brightness it's at. It hurts your eyes sometimes.

The better screen with richer, truer colors and more sharpness is the yellowish-tinted (barely)/warmer temperature colored screen.

It's the same as any LCD screen when you mess with the settings. Why they decided they had to ruin the phone for half of us by using the cooler temp, I'll never know. But every time I look at my phone I can't help but think about it and how much better my 1st Storm looked. I just can't keep trading mine in though, especially because mine now has no other issues physically.

So again, is this a possibly creatable app???
Buddy i totally disagree with you, i Hate The Yellowish Screen it looks like crap to me in my opinion and is not good for your eyes, the blue cooler color has whites, and whites is better for your eyes. is similar to daylight light bulb.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:31 AM   #14
just4747

We might have them mixed up or something...I've had two of the cooler, bluer ones now and they kill your eyes in even a little darkness...it's very irritating. The warmer colored one is much easier on the eyes, not to mention a million times better looking in every sense.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:34 AM   #15
just4747

And there's one of mine on the right, the cooler temp.
I don't think you can tell in screenshots, I think it's seen in real life only with the backlight and everything.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:34 AM   #16
conazo

I guess for each their own i hate the yellowish screen, i love the blueish that some people are complaining about, i've had replacement phones with the yellow and i hated to death it looks like pure crap. the blueish is more relaxing to my eyes, the yellow one bothers my eyes.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:36 AM   #17
just4747

Quote:
Originally Posted by conazo View Post
I guess for each their own i hate the yellowish screen, i love the blueish that some people are complaining about, i've had replacement phones with the yellow and i hated to death it looks like pure crap. the blueish is more relaxing to my eyes, the yellow one bothers my eyes.
When you say yellow though, I wonder if maybe the one you're referring to was especially yellowish or something, because to be honest, the better one with the warmer temps isn't really yellow tinted at all. I think it's just what they commonly refer to it as. This has to be the case because most of the ppl on Crackberry agree that the "yellow/warmer" one is 10 times better. So I don't know.

Can someone work on an app that could possibly tweak this so everyone can have what they want??? Cause you know RIM won't care about or address this ever.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:37 AM   #18
conazo

Quote:
http://i43.tinypic.com/ekqq2g.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...311/ssBBSt.jpg
And there's one of mine on the right, the cooler temp.
I don't think you can tell in screenshots, I think it's seen in real life only with the backlight and everything.
actually yes you can tell just a little, the one on the right looks better
Old 01-16-2009, 09:39 AM   #19
just4747

Quote:
Originally Posted by conazo View Post
actually yes you can tell just a little, the one on the right looks better
lol nope..in reality mine on the right is the one with the crappier, whiter/washed out/cooler colors. But you cannot tell with just screenshots...it's an in-person thing only.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:44 AM   #20
conazo

Thumbs up

Quote:
lol nope..in reality mine on the right is the one with the crappier, whiter/washed out/cooler colors. But you cannot tell with just screenshots...it's an in-person thing only.
Buddy i love the one on the right, but as i said for each their own, everyone has different taste. is nice and bluish with white woooo hoooooo! gooo storm! LOL

Last edited by conazo; 01-16-2009 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: added info
Closed Thread