Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 11:35 AM   #41
mhagen2531

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: tmobile
Default but why should it crash?

Please Login to Remove!

I was able to get my desktop manager to successfully sync by deleting the app settings directory (mentioned above by pkrohnert).

However, this brings to light an even more important question, why the heck does the entire application crash, instead of failing gracefully, and sync'ing everything that it can? I don't see how this is an acceptable application architecture. It shouldn't be that hard to at least provide a more intelligent way for the user to resolve the "issue" and get on with their day.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:42 PM   #42
Homeuser66
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

I have tried every suggestion that has ben made. I have finally just come to the fact, that, Everything sync's with out an issue. But I still get the error message. I just forward it each time I get the error message to forward in hopes that they come up with a resolution to this problem..So, in the meantime, I am just going to live with my problem....I know it's not me, cause it happens on my Desktop and Laptop.....to 2 completely diffrent BB's. One Pearl 8100 and one 8700g....
Old 05-24-2008, 12:40 PM   #43
Homeuser66
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ok, I now never see this problem...I updated with the latest Desktop Manager Software from T-Mobile and I no longer have this issue..Thanks all for your help!!!
Old 05-28-2008, 05:04 PM   #44
treaclle
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: T-Mobile UK

How ironic is that?! I followed Homeuser66's thinking and went here to get the latest version of the Desktop Manager software...

Blackberry

I installed the new version (without uninstalling the previous version, which was maybe a mistake) and restarted both my XP Pro computer and my BlackBerry Pearl 8100. First sync I did with the update, guess what happened? hat's right!

EventType : BEX P1 : DesktopMgr.exe P2 : 4.3.0.17 P3 : 473889e9
P4 : MsOutlookConnector.fil P5 : 7.1.1.181 P6 : 46ba4cec
P7 : 0003835d P8 : c0000409 P9 : 00000000

Exactly the same error! Doh! =)

Looked at Daphne's suggestions but nothing there worked. Also tried twofish's idea. Somehow it created a lot of duplicates in my Outlook even though I selected for all duplicates to be replaced. And it still didn't cure the Desktop Manager problem! Grrr....

So... I wiped my Outlook calender completely and reimported from my backups. I also wiped by BlackBerry Calender and did a one way sync from Outlook to Device. Desktop Manager didn't like this at all and crashed before even reading any entries from Outlook Calendar.

So I resorted to using Karina's fix as I mentioned worked for me in a previous post. But this "solution" still requires the reconfiguring of my sync settings, e.g. mapped folders, mapped fields, filters and confirmations, etc... Anyone any the wiser as to how to delete (hopefully) just part of the IntelliSync folder so that these settings are maintained?

Anyone out there using Desktop Manager for Mac? Are you having similar problems? I may just ditch syncing with my PC since I bought a new MacBook Pro recently. Obviously I won't be though if the Mac version of Desktop Manager has problems as well!

Also, just spotted this... (possible cause of prob?)... Personal Folders appears twice under Outlook Data File Management (opened from File menu, Outlook 2007). They both have exactly the same filename, and obviously just one s labelled as the default. I've got a funny feeling the second appearance of Personal Folders is totally redundant and harmless, but I'm wary of removing it just in case it causes problems. It only appears once in the Folder List, so I'm pretty sure it's nothing serious. Don't know if it might be causing problems for Desktop Manager though. Any ideas anyone? Could you check if your Personal Folders appear twice in your Data Files list?

All is back to normal now it seems... for now anyway!

Alex
Old 06-21-2008, 11:06 PM   #45
radioactive1

Model: Pearl
Carrier: Sprint

You might try this - first make sure that you have the current version of Blackberry Desktop Manager (v 4.5 at this time). The software can be downloaded from here:

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...93E4F3BB068C22

Select "Syncronize" and then select the "Configuration" tab. Click on "Reset Configuration". Once you do this, close the software then bring it up again. Setup your sychronization from the "Configuration" tab by selecting "Configure synch".

My problem was with a corrupted calendar file. Once I did the reset, and setup the synchronization again, the problem went away.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:20 AM   #46
treaclle
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: T-Mobile UK

thanks radioactive! i updated to the latest v4.5 today after suffering from the same error. didn't try to fix it using the usual "delete intellisync folder" method, just updated the software and did a sync. worked perfectly!

guess RIM have finally ironed out the bug! would have been nice if it was fixed earlier or even before release, but better late than never i suppose! =)

so, everyone, update and enjoy!

alex =)
Old 09-19-2008, 12:32 PM   #47
Rob410

Model: 8310
Carrier: Rogers

Karina's fix worked for me as well, so far. I had an ongoing sync issue which I think was carried over in the intellisync profile from a previous Blackberry Desktop install. It first was crashing while reading the Outlook Calendar, then it was freezing while reading the Device Calendar.
As for now, this has worked. As a precautionary measure, rather than delete the RIM file mentioned, I just renamed it with 'old' appended to the Research in Motion filename.
Thanks for the help.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:09 AM   #48
darkcobra007

Model: 8330
Carrier: Alltel
Smile I was able to fix my issue on this as well.....

I, too, was having the "Blackberry Desktop Manager encountered a problem and needs to close" error message and found this forum and followed most of the recommended steps to resolve the issue.

I finally found a solution to this error that seems to be slightly different from what others have done to correct the problem (FYI: I'm using a Blackberry Curve 8330 with the DM version 4.3 and Microsoft Outlook 2003 connected to an Exchange Server).

I kept getting this error as soon as the DM finishes syncing with the device and then the program would close. The problem seemed to be with syncing with the calendar. I found this out by unchecking each sync item (calendar, memo, address book, and notes) one by one and then resync to see if the error reoccurs. The only time I got the error was when the calendar option was checked but the other 3 options could be checked and the device would sync without crashing the DM. I reconfigured the sync options for the calendar to do a one-way sync FROM Outlook TO the device instead of the default configuration which is a two-way sync. After changing this option I am now able to sync the phone to the computer without the Desktop Manager crashing immediately after doing so.

This may not be a viable solution for some people because some may need to have the ability to manually add items via the Blackberry and THEN sync those items to Outlook the next time the Blackberry is reconnected to the computer. For those who don't care about syncing FROM the device TO the computer then this may be a good solution for fixing this error message.

Just a thought.....
Old 10-16-2008, 03:28 AM   #49
DogmanBB

Carrier: Bell Wireless
Default Error Message...

"BlackBerry Desktop Manager has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience..."

I just wanted to chime in really quickly and mention that I have tried the Karine suggestion (I deleted the entire RIM folder) and it seems to have worked. Prior I had been removing the desktop software and then reloading. This new fix is much much shorter.

Thank you so much Karine

DogmanBB
Old 12-16-2008, 03:50 PM   #50
Forrest2b

Model: 8330v
PIN: 31C5FFEE
Carrier: Verizon

I would get this periodically, usually after upgrading the device's software package. If deleting the Intellisync folder doesn't resolve it, I ran ScanPST on my personal folders file (that houses all my contacts/tasks/etc) and it resolves it for me. Fixed it 4 times now. I'm running DM 4.6. FYI, close DM and disconnect the device when running ScanPST (or ScanOST for users with cached exchange mode and a exchange box.)
Old 12-16-2008, 05:53 PM   #51
Homeuser66
Thumbs Must Hurt

I reverted back to 4.3 version. This is the most up to date version T-Mobile offers at this time....That I'm aware of..I tried 4.6 version and it was VERY slow at sync-ing...so I reverted back to 4.3. I only got this error message again a few times...so I uninstalled all versions, went into my registry and searched for all and everything related to Desktop Manager, and deleted everything...though I only advise advanced PC users to do this...I also went into my Program files and deleted those folders also pertaining to Desktop Manager....I then restarted....Reinstalled the 4.3 version from T_MObile...
NO MORE ISSUES!!!
Old 12-16-2008, 07:22 PM   #52
vilana

Carrier: verizon
Default Desktop Manager has encountered a problem and needs to close

I seem to have a slightly different problem; I get this error message trying to sync "organizer". It seems to work with everything else. I'm not sure what they mean by the "organizer" is it calendar, address book or both? I don't seem to have a separate config. for the "address book". If anyone had similar problem, please advice. I have blackberry curve 8330; have removed and reinstalled desktop twice; been on the phone with blackberry (after verizon transferred me since they couldn't solve it) for 2.5 hours and still nothing works!
Closed Thread