Old 03-15-2009, 10:53 AM   #1
Frisco
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Alltel
Default Please rate your feelings about Storm

Please Login to Remove!

I am considering going from Curve 8330 (like a lot) to either 8900, Bold or (*gasp*) Storm.

The 8900 is getting raves from most users, the Bold too. But I hear negatives about the Storm in reviews, especially the keyboard.

I like the idea of a "click" onscreen keyboard as opposed to the iPhone method of touch only (I hope I understand that correctly).

I will play with one in the store, of course, to see if it is to my liking. I assume many here have done that before buying.

How do you like it now that you've had it a while?
Old 03-15-2009, 11:46 AM   #2
ElusiveAura
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: 30519FCC
Carrier: Verizon

It takes a little while to get used too, thats a definite but once you do, it's unlike any other phone (of course lol) I love mine and many here will share the same sentiment. I like type in portrait mode more than landscape but thats my personal preference. It will take time and some tweaking but you would probably very much enjoy it.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:59 AM   #3
kurichan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon BIS / BES

If typing is important to you, don't. The Storm doesn't come anywhere close to a keyboard BB in that respect. You'll be very frustrated.

If you're a light user or a media user, it's fine, if you can stand all the bugs.

If you can wait, wait. Lots of bugs and problems with the Storm still.

It was released before it was ready. Really half-baked.

Playing with one in the store is not enough to tell you the whole story.

I will say this - I played with an iPhone recently after weeks on a Storm. The iPhone feels polished and useful, while the Storm feel awkward, unfinished and clunky in comparison. Too bad the iPhone has so many fatal flaws, like no background processing.

I am returning my storm and waiting for the Niagra on Verizon.
9630 #4 < 9630 #3 < 9630 #2 < 9630 < 9530 (returned) < 8703 < 7250
Old 03-15-2009, 12:58 PM   #4
employedslacker

PIN: 305941F8
Carrier: T-Mobile

I actually love my storm. (Tmobile)

Once you get the keyboard settings to your liking it is really easy and quick to type. (but then again I have small fingers).

It used to lag when switching programs and turning to landscape view, but since I updated to the leaked .90 OS I haven't had any problems and it is wonderful!

I could do without the clicking screen.

All in all I"m glad I switched from my curve to the storm. And they will come out with better updates, if you can wait. But nothing wrong with going for another blackberry over the storm..as long as you have a blackberry!!

Myspace
Old 03-15-2009, 01:09 PM   #5
doaneramma
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9100
Carrier: Rogers

I can type just as fast on my storm as any other BB I have used (7250, 7510, 7520, 7130, 8100, 8300, 8310, 9000, and 9500). I have fat mitts and in fact I find the auto correction superior and a big bonus over standard full qwerty. I had the bold and was quite happy, but for us canucks the choice of 500MB on rogers or unlimited on Bell for the same price, well lets just say I use 1-3GB/month! If carrier is not an issue that I think you would be equally served. But if your thumbs can cover 1/3 of the keyboard like mine does, the storm DEFINITELY has the edge. Psst; notice how I stayed away from the media capabilities? That is personal preference.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:06 PM   #6
xxDruMMer BoYxx
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
PIN: PM and Ask
Carrier: VZW

Everybody here has given u good reasons as to why to get it and why not. Personally..I'd wait to see if the Niagra will come for VZW and get that..or get a curve. Like I've said before in other post, if ur up for a challenge and wanna deal with leaked builds and finding out what works or what doesn't on the Storm....then go for it.

EnJOYing my TOUR!!!
Old 03-15-2009, 03:34 PM   #7
muratcolakoglu
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Vodafone

Don't hesitate and buy Storm.

Device does not have any problem. I have it since one month I never had any probleme. Every day I am out and checking and writing many emails, adding new appointments to the calender. No problemes...

Regarding the keyboard, it's easier then previous blackberry's, people who complain they don't know how to use the keyboard. The keyboard is different then the previous bb keyboards. Touch screen is different: first of all take out the film which they put on the screen at the factory, and don't put any other protector on the screen, put your finger gently on the screen and start to glide smoothly, when you are on the right place just tap, do never rise up your finger from the screen to retap, always keep smootly your finger gliding on the screen. You will see this is easier then the conventional keyboards. I am sure you will get addicted to write with the new keyboard.

Last edited by muratcolakoglu; 03-15-2009 at 03:36 PM..
Old 03-15-2009, 07:03 PM   #8
ProfitTower
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon OS .151

i just upgraded to the storm last wends.. I had the 8703e so i kinda made a big jump as far as apps and all that goes.. I gotta say I am loving the storm. Typing took a day or so to get used to, but I did play with it at the Verizon store as I visited a couple of times a week before purchasing. I type a decent amount and really don't find it to hard at all, especially after changing some configs. that are listed in this forum. The system it's self lags a little at times, but that is something I expected after reading everything about it. It really hasn't affected anything I use the phone for, just gotta remember to close out of applications. The phone is new and you have to expect some error's here and there. These errors will most likely get fixed with the ability to upgrade the OS. I can't say it enough, I enjoy the storm a ton and no plans of turning it back in.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:41 PM   #9
70seven

Carrier: Bell Canada

First Post !!!

I got my Storm a week ago, and its my first BB and my first cell phone (about time I'm 29).

I did a TON of research on the iPhone, Palm Pre, Curve and the Bold.

I'll say if you pick the Bold, Curve or Storm I don't think you can go wrong, I'm new to BB's but I am very impressed bu their products.

I love the Storm, I never used another BB so I can't compare the keyboard but I find typing very easy on it. What I do it I look at my keyboard and not then text, and I use my thumbs only to type, left thumb for keys on the left and same for the right. I only had it for a week but I got nothing bad to say about it at all, no crash, no slow down that is unreasonable everything works just like I expected it to. I already added a bunch of tasks and stuff in my calendars, all with reminder alarms. I email alot from my BB also I'm not a big talker so I don't use the phone alot but it works!
Old 03-15-2009, 09:32 PM   #10
jpjr

Carrier: verizon

I love mine. wouldn't go back.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:12 AM   #11
Frisco
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by muratcolakoglu View Post

Device does not have any problem. I have it since one month I never had any probleme. Every day I am out and checking and writing many emails, adding new appointments to the calender. No problemes...

Regarding the keyboard, it's easier then previous blackberry's, people who complain they don't know how to use the keyboard. The keyboard is different then the previous bb keyboards. Touch screen is different: first of all take out the film which they put on the screen at the factory, and don't put any other protector on the screen, put your finger gently on the screen and start to glide smoothly, when you are on the right place just tap, do never rise up your finger from the screen to retap, always keep smootly your finger gliding on the screen. You will see this is easier then the conventional keyboards. I am sure you will get addicted to write with the new keyboard.
That's a good review/opinion of the Storm. Have you experienced the "slow downs" that are mentioned here and elsewhere? How is its speed overall, on the internet and in application handling?
Old 03-16-2009, 06:30 AM   #12
ankitb4u

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by muratcolakoglu View Post

That's a good review/opinion of the Storm. Have you experienced the "slow downs" that are mentioned here and elsewhere? How is its speed overall, on the internet and in application handling?
I must say I will have to give gliding a try and it seems different but I think it will be helpfull once
Old 03-16-2009, 08:52 AM   #13
unclemetz

I love my storm. I have spent some time with an iPhone, and while I do agree its presentation is a little more polished, it lacks many things that are important to *ME*, as a business user. Most of them have been covered in these threads (push email, copy/paste, background processes) and are typical of Blackberry. But I personal LOVE the typing on it. I believe that I am as fast at typing on it now than I ever was on my 8830 (that's not to say I am lightning fast on ANY device). I have kept my 8830 just in case I had to go back for some reason. But I sure hope that I never do. It is a great phone, but to me, the Storm is better and allows me to be more productive.

I am running a leaked version of the OS (.109), and performance is considerably better than the current official release. I use the media play often, and it works great for me. The camera is snappy, battery life is pretty good (depending on which office I am working at), and reception is solid.

If it wasn't a great phone, it would never have won the "Second Wife" award that my wife claims I have given it. ;)
Old 03-16-2009, 10:52 AM   #14
BBSwany
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Straight Talk

If mine could hold a strong EDGE signal, I would be happy. Playing with one in the store will give you an idea about the SurePress but it will most likely have .76 and it was a snail compared to later builds. If you like the SurePress, pick up the Storm and upgrade to a later OS and you will be happy as a clam. Good luck and let us know what you decide!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-16-2009, 12:02 PM   #15
tr1ad

Model: 9900
PIN: 281516BE
Carrier: bmobile

ehhhh...it's actually growing on me

just takes a lil while getting accustomed to it
Old 03-18-2009, 12:44 PM   #16
Frisco
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSwany View Post
If mine could hold a strong EDGE signal, I would be happy. Playing with one in the store will give you an idea about the SurePress but it will most likely have .76 and it was a snail compared to later builds. If you like the SurePress, pick up the Storm and upgrade to a later OS and you will be happy as a clam. Good luck and let us know what you decide!
Well I'm wondering about SurePress. I know that in my Curve I definitely love multitap because I could never stand the "guess" made by the system as to what word I want in there; why not just let me finish typing it out?

Is SurePress like the "Suretype" or whatever it is that guesses the words after a character or two are typed? If so, I'm outa here on the Storm unless it has the option to remove it and use good old Multitap.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:09 PM   #17
70seven

Carrier: Bell Canada

Maybe its just my imagination but in SurePress (protrait) if I type more to the left of the key it write the letter on the left, same with if I press more on the right. I just wrote a 20-30 word email in portrait and made no typo. SurePress is growing on me.

Its been a couple more days with my BB Storm, and everyone I know ask me how I feel about it and they immediately ask questions comparing it to the iPhone and the Pre. I always answer that the Storm is not as "pretty" as the iPhone, the flip between portrait and landscape is not even animated, the calendar is not all color coordinated and things like that, but do you want something to impress your friends or something that works and you can rely on?
Old 03-18-2009, 01:35 PM   #18
ocgreenmachine
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: verizon BIS

"Sure press" is the "click" screen technology... "Sure type" is the portrait view keyboard with the predictive text technology.

I've had my storm since the second day of release. I bought the storm even after reading the dismal reviews and after playing with one at the verizon store. I purchased it knowing it had a solid hardware base with somewhat buggy software. I expected OS updates to address the issues that were present in the storm I played with at the store.

I now run the hybrid .114 beta OS and have few complaints. I type as fast as I did on my 8830 (I type mostly in landscape mode) and I thoroughly enjoy being able to view web pages on a large screen. I rarely have any freezing, although I do have to do battery pulls from time to time due to some memory leaking.

I have played with the iphone and was initially looking to get one, but I really love the surepress screen and the superior wireless service I get from verizon (I switched over from cingular after realizing I had no bars in most places my friends with verizon were getting 4 bars).

If you have some patience and the savvy to browse forums such as this one for simple fixes, I think the storm would make you happy.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:42 PM   #19
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: Ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurichan View Post
If typing is important to you, don't. The Storm doesn't come anywhere close to a keyboard BB in that respect. You'll be very frustrated.

If you're a light user or a media user, it's fine, if you can stand all the bugs.

If you can wait, wait. Lots of bugs and problems with the Storm still.

It was released before it was ready. Really half-baked.

Playing with one in the store is not enough to tell you the whole story.

I will say this - I played with an iPhone recently after weeks on a Storm. The iPhone feels polished and useful, while the Storm feel awkward, unfinished and clunky in comparison. Too bad the iPhone has so many fatal flaws, like no background processing.

I am returning my storm and waiting for the Niagra on Verizon.
Kurichan,

You've been "returning" your Storm for quite some time now...LOL! Weren't you switching back to the Curve like a month or two ago? What's up with the sour grapes commentary?

If you actually own a Storm are well beyond the ability to return it now brother.

Verizon 9530
Old 03-18-2009, 04:13 PM   #20
rlbagIII

I've had mine less than two weeks, so take this for what it is worth. I quite like the Storm. I have no issues typing with the touch screen as opposed to actual keys. Since learning to enable the memory cleaning I have no issues with the phone getting slow.

I do have to hold it a certain way so that others can hear me during calls though. They could have improved the microphone.

All in all it is the best phone I've owned. It is my first BB.
Closed Thread