BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 01:53 PM   #1
vrooomz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Default Just bought "A LIKE NEW PHONE" from Ebay (Opinion please)

Please Login to Remove!

Hello, i am a newbie in Ebay and just bought a Blackberry 9550.
what do you all think if i buy a Blackberry 9550 advertised as "LIKE NEW CONDITION" but got a phone like the photo below.
The phone i got have scrathes/dings on the 4 corners and seem like it has been dropped several times.
The scratches are not only on the 4 corners, but on the upper front of the phone and on the battery cover too.

http://img831.imageshack.us/i/stormh.jpg

Opinion please, it that appropriate for a phone that stated "LIKE NEW CONDITION"

The auction stated it is BARELY USED too, but from my point of view by seeing the lifetimer, it was not barely used , am i wrong ?

Thanks a ton before.

Last edited by vrooomz; 10-06-2010 at 02:00 PM..
Old 10-06-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Return it asap. Bullcrap descriptions are false advertising.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:44 PM   #3
pshift
CrackBerry Addict

Model: ...
PIN: N/A. Went To Android!
Carrier: Busy Signal :)

It obviously is more than barely used. False advertising at its best.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:06 PM   #4
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

It's not at described and you have the right to send it back. If the seller won't accept it, file a claim with ebay/paypal.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 10-06-2010, 05:37 PM   #5
TXLady
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint

I ran into a similar issue earlier this year. The phone was described as "This phone was used for less than a week. It is in MINT condition and has absolutely NO scratches, scuffs, or signs of being used at all.". Boy was that an exageration! The item had numerous surface scratches on front top and screen and one significant scratch on screen. Additionally, when the cover was removed the item has significant dirt and debris which are not consistent with low usage as described. It was gross!

I recommend immediately filing a case with ebay while you contact the seller to ensure your rights are protected. Ebay will need to be involved. I was happy with resolution as my money was refunded and all I was out was cost of shipping the phone back to the seller.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:56 PM   #6
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

The normal wear you would get from a holster will have caused some marks or wear points but this looks like the phone was abused or at a minimum repeatedly dropped. Your asking for trouble to keep it.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:26 PM   #7
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Take a gander at this before making another move dealing with eBay: Buying a BlackBerry off eBay - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 10-07-2010, 12:14 AM   #8
vrooomz

Thank you very much for everybodi, now i know that my judge is not wrong at least.
I am just afraid that my judge for this phone is wrong.
I also don't want to complain a thing that i don't deserve to complain.

Thank you very much all.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:48 PM   #9
thebluedotdotnet

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMobile

I'd send it back. You can save yourself some money by going with a refurbished phone and not have to worry about the issues with dealing with a used phone. Make sure you get a return tracking # when sending the phone back so you can prove to ebay that the seller has their phone back. Hope it all works out for you.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:56 PM   #10
dyusem

Carrier: AT&T

As was suggested earlier, make one attempt to quickly resolve the issue with the seller. If you don't get a response within one or two days, file a claim with eBay. They will put a hold on payment (if you paid with Paypal) and that should inspire the seller to resolve the matter.

The same thing happened to me recently while winning an auction for a "like new" and "perfect" Bold 9000. Although it was not seemingly abused like the phone you purchased, it was far from perfect and the seller only agreed to refund my money after eBay demanded for misrepresenting the item.

In the end, everything worked out for me as I won another auction for a Bold 9000 and the phone in fact was perfect/like new; I expect that you also will work things out...good luck!
Old 10-08-2010, 12:10 AM   #11
vrooomz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyusem View Post
As was suggested earlier, make one attempt to quickly resolve the issue with the seller. If you don't get a response within one or two days, file a claim with eBay. They will put a hold on payment (if you paid with Paypal) and that should inspire the seller to resolve the matter.

The same thing happened to me recently while winning an auction for a "like new" and "perfect" Bold 9000. Although it was not seemingly abused like the phone you purchased, it was far from perfect and the seller only agreed to refund my money after eBay demanded for misrepresenting the item.

In the end, everything worked out for me as I won another auction for a Bold 9000 and the phone in fact was perfect/like new; I expect that you also will work things out...good luck!
I haven't filed a claim in Ebay, i am still trying contacting the seller to work it out, i will just give him sometime to respond.
May i know, on what base Paypal clear the payment ? Feedback ? Time ? or what ?
If is is from feedback, what if a buyer don not leave feedback, do the seller get paid by paypal ?
Don't the seller get the money instantly when we pay ?

Btw : thanks a lot for your sharing above.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:35 AM   #12
TXLady

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrooomz View Post
I haven't filed a claim in Ebay, i am still trying contacting the seller to work it out, i will just give him sometime to respond.
May i know, on what base Paypal clear the payment ? Feedback ? Time ? or what ?
If is is from feedback, what if a buyer don not leave feedback, do the seller get paid by paypal ?
Don't the seller get the money instantly when we pay ?

Btw : thanks a lot for your sharing above.
If your seller has not yet responded, file the case with ebay. I think they release the money either once feedback is posted or within a certain time frame so don't wait. (I believe it's an either/or case since some people don't get around to leaving feedback in a timely manner.) If you really want to give your seller the benefit of the doubt, send one last email (through the ebay system only so it is documented) stating your case and stating that if you do not hear from him by a certain time, you will be filing a case with ebay. Hopefully all attempts to contact him to date have also been through the ebay system as that is part of your documentation. I always keep a PDF of the auction as posted stating the claimed condition -- ebay will have this as well but I like to have my own documentation.

And while I understand you wanting to work this out with the seller, flat out, you were lied to / frauded. You were sold a BB that the seller claimed was "LIKE NEW CONDITION" "BARELY USED" and it clearly wasn't. That was not an oversight or misunderstanding. It was a fraudulent statement. You have photots to back it up.

You need to act NOW and file the claim with ebay. They will contact the seller and give him I think 48 hrs to respond. If he rebuts, they will contact you giving you 48 hrs to respond (but I bet you respond immediately when they contact you since you want it resolved and your money returned as quickly as possible).

P.S. If you want to read the saga I went through with my BB, you can read the whole string here: Scammed on ebay (just venting))
Old 10-08-2010, 07:39 AM   #13
complexx
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: VZW

I've used craiglist to purchase 2 second hand BB's. The first was used, but I was able to inspect it prior to purchase. The second was brand new in a sealed box. I think this is the best way to buy second hand devices. Just be careful, and meet up in a very public place.

8830->8330->9630
Old 10-08-2010, 08:42 AM   #14
ArthurIhde

Model: 9800
Carrier: att

lol it sucks

Last edited by ArthurIhde; 10-08-2010 at 08:54 AM..
Old 10-08-2010, 11:56 AM   #15
TXLady

Actually, even though I had a bad experience with that one ebay purchase I would (and have since) do it again. I will admit that the bad purchase was due to not following the advice about using only sellers with good feedback. In my case, the mistake was buying from a seller with 100% feedback but only had about 10 transactions. It sounded like such a good deal and I figured everyone has to start somewhere. Even the sellers with 1000's of feedback at one time were just starting out. But they will have to start out with someone else other than me.

It's a catch 22. I sold my Droid on ebay and someone took a chance on me.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:25 PM   #16
vrooomz

For now, the seller agree to give me partial refund, and i told the seller i will accept that even though it is not satisfy me actually, but i see from the seller "good intention", i am not going to refuse that.
The refund from the seller is not enough to buy a new housing with replacing cost at my local store or even from Ebay.
And i also remind the seller to describe honestly next time if the seller want to sell something.

For this phone, i just have no way, just replace the whole housing in order to make it "Like New".
But i see from the seller responsibility (even though it is not satisfy me actually), i still give a respect to the seller.

But for this situation, i just agree in order not to make the case a long time to solve.

Thank you all for the suggestions/opinions and anything, i really appreciate that all. You are really helpful.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:19 PM   #17
dyusem

Carrier: AT&T

Commendable of you to agree to the seller's resolution however if it was me I would not have settled for less than a complete refund.

I hope that you leave appropriate feedback for the seller.

Nevertheless it is always good to move on but please keep in mind that eBay would have resolved the matter within a week or two.

Good luck next time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrooomz View Post
For now, the seller agree to give me partial refund, and i told the seller i will accept that even though it is not satisfy me actually, but i see from the seller "good intention", i am not going to refuse that.
The refund from the seller is not enough to buy a new housing with replacing cost at my local store or even from Ebay.
And i also remind the seller to describe honestly next time if the seller want to sell something.

For this phone, i just have no way, just replace the whole housing in order to make it "Like New".
But i see from the seller responsibility (even though it is not satisfy me actually), i still give a respect to the seller.

But for this situation, i just agree in order not to make the case a long time to solve.

Thank you all for the suggestions/opinions and anything, i really appreciate that all. You are really helpful.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:29 PM   #18
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: Tesco Mobile

If it was an instant payment, the seller has the money already.
There is no "wait for feedback".
The only time a payment may be delayed is if the buyer sent an eCheque. As it takes time for that to clear.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 10-08-2010, 07:01 PM   #19
TXLady

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightDraven View Post
The only time a payment may be delayed is if the buyer sent an eCheque. As it takes time for that to clear.
I know the one item that I sold an item through ebay (US), the funds were not released to me until the buyer left feedback.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:46 PM   #20
vrooomz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightDraven View Post
Yes you are correct, i still wait for the fund to be cleared, and haven't left feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLady View Post
I know the one item that I sold an item through ebay (US), the funds were not released to me until the buyer left feedback.
For this case, i will not leave feedback until the fund is cleared already

Last edited by vrooomz; 10-08-2010 at 09:48 PM..
Closed Thread