Old 03-23-2007, 11:22 PM   #41
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradpoff
Instead of disabling the BES stuff, I want a program that will issue a wheel click every 19 minutes since my password timeout is 20 minutes. That way I don't have to keep entering the password everytime it vibrates to tell me I have another meeting but won't let me see the meeting announcement.

Anyone know how to do this? I'm not a programer but it would seem like a simple thing to do (always is for the ignorant)

Appreciate the help.
Yes, every 19 minutes, pick up the berry grasping firmly in the palm of hand. Extend the thumb of right hand and carefully place onto the thumb wheel located on the right side of berry. Applying slight pressure, roll the wheel one click either direction. Presto! Unit will not lock for another 20 minutes.

"...yes, and I haven't taken any lessons (William Hung)"
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:36 AM   #42
bradpoff

Model: 8310
Carrier: att

Brilliant! Why didn't I think of that? That's why I labeled my self 'the ignorant'.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:21 AM   #43
GDBerryuser
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

why dont you change the timeout option to one hour? I am on a bes with an it policy and I was able to change mine
Old 03-24-2007, 11:23 AM   #44
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

It depends on if the specific IT policy allows that change.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:00 AM   #45
bradpoff

Model: 8310
Carrier: att

Unfortunately they've set it up so I cannot change the timeout.

Is what I'm suggesting possible (program running in the background that enters a keystroke every 19 minutes--since timeout set by administrator to 20 minutes), does it makes sense? Any volunteers to write something for me to try?
Old 03-29-2007, 11:37 AM   #46
kirk_gcm

Model: 9600
Carrier: lime
Default Success confirmation

I am please to confirm that the instructions by John Clark worked, (8700g owner)
Old 04-01-2007, 10:49 PM   #47
John Clark
BBF Moderator

I have been attempting to use a bluetooth keyboard with my 8100 Pearl. It is under IT policy. The default policy denies access to "keystroke injection" in the Application Permissions under Security Settings which is necessary for access by a Bluetooth Keyboard.

I tried this procedure on an old BB that is no longer used on the BES in order to see if I could get the "keystroke injection" denial lifted and use the keyboard on the old BB. Yes, the procedure will appear to "remove" IT policy. However, it only applies a blank policy which doesn't show up under Security Settings. There is still policy on the device after using this procedure. Firewalls are set to "default" policy. Under default some settings are defaulted to "disallow" or "deny." One of which is the "keystroke injection." It needs to be set to "allow" in order to allow access by a Bluetooth Keyboard. This blank policy doesn't allow this.

I just wanted to inform those using this procedure that it doesn't completely "remove" all IT policy. It does lift a lot of restrictions from the device but not all.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:44 AM   #48
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107

John, I was wondering. When a user performs an E.A. on BBDM within a company firewall for BES, with a unit that has a previous IT Policy from another company, they show up at "initializing". Most of the information is there with IT Policy at a pending field which within 5-10mins shows "failed" on the BES for that particular user. Why doesn't trying to send "Blank" IT Policy clear the previous one out, then "Send" IT Policy for the company its on resolve this?

BTW, the BB Unit was procured under warranty replacement with Cingular by specific internal company contact & Cingular.

PS I was just curious.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:55 AM   #49
djdcyphr

Model: 8100

Is it possible for me to wipe the device, remove the policy, and then upload applications to my device. Such as games or ringtones. Then when i am finished, reconnect to my DES and go undetected?
Old 04-02-2007, 12:39 PM   #50
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Read the disclaimer in the original post. That is NOT what this is intended for. You risk your job in doing this. Additionally, when you connect back up to the BES the policy will be pushed right back anyway and you'll lose everything.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:45 PM   #51
JoeIndy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark
I just wanted to inform those using this procedure that it doesn't completely "remove" all IT policy. It does lift a lot of restrictions from the device but not all.
With a new Pearl with BIS and downloading the desktop software from T-Mobile's site, I ran into an interesting issue. It apparently comes with an IT Policy that is more restrictive than none, because since I hooked it up the first time (to do an OS upgrade), it now requires 5 character passwords and, here's the fun one, the password expires after 5 days.

Does the policy.bin that's floating around here have more generous settings than this?
Old 04-05-2007, 03:12 PM   #52
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

No password required with this policy.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-05-2007, 10:46 PM   #53
JoeIndy
Thumbs Must Hurt

I downloaded a copy of the free BES Express. It contains the policy compiler. I made my own policy.inf with the settings I wanted. My paranoia was kicking in at the though of downloading and applying a policy file from the Net, even though I have no reason to doubt the policy.bin file in the thread is clean and legit. Like I said, paranoia.

The default policy file looks like the default policy that comes with the BES Express download is the .bin file included in Desktop Manager. It had a 5 character password minimum, and maximum password age was set to 5 days.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:41 PM   #54
omkhar
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: 0xDEADBEEF
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by *&))
i find that all the it admin i have ever worked with wanted everyone to be in the dark. and yes i realize the information isn't new but now its easily accessible. but i guess what isn't these days
i'm not saying that you are creating problem for any one or anything b/c i actually found it usefully. but i know where this would have driven a former boss of mine crazy.
Security through obscurity (leaving users in the dark) is not security at all.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:24 PM   #55
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeIndy
I downloaded a copy of the free BES Express. It contains the policy compiler. I made my own policy.inf with the settings I wanted. My paranoia was kicking in at the though of downloading and applying a policy file from the Net, even though I have no reason to doubt the policy.bin file in the thread is clean and legit. Like I said, paranoia.

The default policy file looks like the default policy that comes with the BES Express download is the .bin file included in Desktop Manager. It had a 5 character password minimum, and maximum password age was set to 5 days.

So you were able to create your own policy.bin using the BES express download? Howabout some more info on this. How did you do it?

Last edited by John Clark; 04-07-2007 at 02:22 AM..
Old 04-06-2007, 11:57 PM   #56
JoeIndy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
WAIT WAIT WAIT! So you were able to create your own policy.bin using the BES express download? Howabout some more info on this. How did you do it?
When you download BES Express, it comes in a self extracting ZIP file. When you run it, it extracts the files to C:\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server 4.1.3\. In this directory is one called "ITPolicy"... which contains the program to generate policy.bin files.

Go forth and free your (personally owned, not attached to a corporate network less you get fired for cause) BlackBerry!
Old 04-07-2007, 02:25 AM   #57
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Joe, this was a good find. You've figured out how the policy.bin was created. I've tried creating another policy.bin. I was successful but, unfortunatly, it doesn't do any better than the one posted originally in the first post. There is no way to use this policy compiler to open up the application permissions from what the BES pushed out in policy.

Good work, though. I now know how to create a policy.bin.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:47 AM   #58
JoeIndy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Joe, this was a good find. You've figured out how the policy.bin was created. I've tried creating another policy.bin. I was successful but, unfortunatly, it doesn't do any better than the one posted originally in the first post. There is no way to use this policy compiler to open up the application permissions from what the BES pushed out in policy.
John, sorry to hear that it didn't work. I did some looking and found a user manual for a Bluetooth Keyboard designed for BlackBerry's. There's a section for how to allow use of the keyboard through BES. But, it looks like something that isn't accessable to BES Express without going through the whole installation and everything... basically, another section of policies that isn't controlled through policy.bin.

BlueKeyboard Download - Download the manual, see page 26.

Best of luck getting it resolved. -- Joe

Last edited by John Clark; 04-07-2007 at 04:32 PM..
Old 04-07-2007, 04:35 PM   #59
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
basically, another section of policies that isn't controlled through policy.bin.
I did fix the issue on my BES attached BB by having the IT dept do their thing. I've just been looking for a way to remove the restriction from my old BB so I can use the keyboard (and others) on that BB as well. I may have to switch devices so the new policy is pushed to the old device. However, that only allows the one particular application permission to the keystroke injection. It doesn't really *solve* the core problem.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:13 AM   #60
hb88xx
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: v

Quote:
When you download BES Express, it comes in a self extracting ZIP file. When you run it, it extracts the files to C:\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server 4.1.3\. In this directory is one called "ITPolicy"... which contains the program to generate policy.bin files.

Go forth and free your (personally owned, not attached to a corporate network less you get fired for cause) BlackBerry!
It's not only BES express. When you unpack the SP3 for 4.1 which is free to download, the folder and tool are there too