BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 03-16-2007, 10:10 PM   #21
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Another potential problem. I've not tried this on vista. I don't even use vista. If it's going to work you'll need the latest version of Desktop Manager 4.2.1 SP1 which can be found here:

BlackBerry - BlackBerry - Sys Req V4-2 Pack 1

I don't know if the registry is the same on Vista. Maybe someone else here has tried this on Vista?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:15 PM   #22
lauragal
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7130e

Well, I can tell you that it the Desktop Manager that came with my BB 7130e does not recognize my BB after downloading the manager to a Vista computer. I don't know if Vista is the problem or it's something else. I was doing a search of the forums to see if there was something I was overlooking when I installed the Desktop Manager.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:22 PM   #23
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Laura, that version won't work with Vista. Only the version of DM I posted above will work with Vista.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:26 PM   #24
lauragal

Thanks John (we must have been posting at the same time!)

I am downloading the version you suggested now, to see if that will work.

Thanks again!

Laura (sorry to be such a pain)!
Old 03-16-2007, 10:31 PM   #25
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Trust me, you're not a pain. There are a couple others here that really are a pain right now. You're simply someone who I can help. I hope you get it sorted out. DM 4.2.1 SP1 will work with Vista. However, if the procedure above doesn't work with Vista then you'll need to find an XP machine. I know it will work on that. I can only assume the registry entries are the same for Vista. If not, you'll be out of luck until you find an XP machine or someone can give instructions for Vista.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:38 PM   #26
lauragal

Thanks so much for your time and help, John.

I'll give it a shot on Vista. I don't have access to my daughter's XP machine right now - she took it with her and will be back tomorrow. So if this doesn't work, then I'll try it on her machine tomorrow.

I cannot believe this has literally taken up my whole day and night - I'm glad we had a Nor-easter here today as I had no intentions of going out anyway!!!

Thanks again - and I'll let you know if it works on Vista.

Laura
Old 03-16-2007, 11:26 PM   #27
lauragal

Update:

Cannot even seem to install DM 4.2.1 SP1 to the PC. Keep getting error messages. Will have to wait until I can get my hands on my daughter's XP PC. What a total waste of a day!!!

Laura
Old 03-16-2007, 11:35 PM   #28
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Sometimes BlackBerry days go like that. That's how I learned BlackBerry. Wasting my days away messing around with it, searching these forums, trying this and that. If you search around for a while you'd find a thread about completely uninstalling Desktop Manager and reinstalling it. That might be what is necessary. However, if you've spent that much time on it today it would probably be best to start fresh tomorrow.

Get a good night's sleep and try again tomorrow or give it a few days and come back to it. Sometimes I get where I want to throw the thing at the wall. That's when it's time to be done!

Been there. Done that.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:11 AM   #29
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauragal
Update:

Cannot even seem to install DM 4.2.1 SP1 to the PC. Keep getting error messages. Will have to wait until I can get my hands on my daughter's XP PC. What a total waste of a day!!!

Laura
Laura, if I may put in a suggestion John. Sorry for the disruption. However if Laura has an INTEL based cpu Mac ... then if she's willing even with her local Apple store rep for guidance update the firmware of her Mac - which SHOULD NOT disrupt any app installed or preferences or anything - then installed Boot CAMP. Its perfectly legal to install your daughters WinXP SP2 OS disc for a DUAL BOOT option - follow directions on Apple.com site for BOOTCAMP and specific model firmware. (*heck if you have Parallels even better for dual OS mode/coherence).

Then you can follow John's procedures in his original post above to the letter.

PS2BOTH of you. Again sorry for the intrusion just a possible option I'm suggesting. John sorry for the intrusion once again. Also is there a way to follow your steps and the policy.bin procedure in your original post WITHOUT uninstall of the BBDM - I failed as I tried to rush through without uninstall & reinstall - I should've known better :(

Cheers.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:17 AM   #30
lauragal

Hi Jagga,

Thanks for the suggestion - but I'm not sure what you mean. I do have an Intel-based CPU (MacBookPro), and if I can do this via Boot Camp, without having to fool around with my daughter's computer, that would be even better.

I also have AppleCare so I could call them anytime free of charge to walk me through it, but I believe they only deal with the computer and not non-Mac-based devices.

Sorry if I'm just not getting what you're saying!!

Laura
Old 03-17-2007, 12:32 AM   #31
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Boot Camp is an option. I have zero experience with it. Can't help ya with that one, sorry.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:22 AM   #32
lauragal

I am about to shoot myself!!!!! I was finally able to download DM 4.2.1 SP1. Got it working. Downloaded policy.bin. Wiped my BB.

Believe it or not - I cannot get to the next step. "From the Windows Start Menu select "Run" - I honestly cannot find "Run" anywhere on the start menu!!!!!

HELP!!!!!!

Thanks,
Laura
Old 03-17-2007, 01:31 AM   #33
lauragal

Never mind!!

I successfully removed the IT Policy!!!! Now I just have to figure out how to get my email accounts back!!

Thanks again
Laura
Old 03-17-2007, 01:33 AM   #34
John Clark
BBF Moderator

WooHoo!!! Never gave up! Great job!
Old 03-17-2007, 02:05 AM   #35
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107

Quote:
Never mind!!

I successfully removed the IT Policy!!!! Now I just have to figure out how to get my email accounts back!!

Thanks again
Laura
Atta Girl! Nice work. Now your a BB pro user! Totally Cracked out - and I mean that in the biggest way of respect & comradeship.

If your on a BES then on your work computer's BBDM sync it there, then an automatic Enterprise Activation will set it up.

If its personal ... login to your providers BIS site and click on resend service books or just goto Options> Advanced Options > Host Routing Table and RE-Register.

All is well & looking up here on out!
Old 03-17-2007, 03:53 AM   #36
ohad_129
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: 237be374
Carrier: orange il

how you made it?
do you can disable the fire wall?
please let me know
thank you
Old 03-18-2007, 01:13 PM   #37
camaxtli
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9780
PIN: a colada
Carrier: Tmobile

Hi John,I was hoping her question about will the computer return to normal before she touched it would be answered. The registry has me slightly worried as I was in the same boat as Laura, I use Mac at home and so I had to do it on my desktop at work, should I be worried?
Old 03-18-2007, 09:54 PM   #38
lauragal

John and Jagga,

Thanks!!! Trust me, I was sweating all the way!!!!! But I do feel like a pro now!!!! I am no longer on a BES at work so now worries there - they were the ones who caused this problem to begin with!! And I was able to re-send the service books (the site was down last night but I was able to do it this morning). Thanks to both of you for all your help.

Ohad - I did not have to disable my firewall.

Camaxtli - if you follow John's instructions step by step, there should be no problem. My husband's PC is working without any problems. Although you're going into the registry, it seems to me that you're just changing a part of the registry that pertains to the Blackberry, so anything else on the computer is untouched.

Last edited by lauragal; 03-18-2007 at 09:58 PM..
Old 03-22-2007, 12:17 AM   #39
camaxtli
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9780
PIN: a colada
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
John and Jagga,

Camaxtli - if you follow John's instructions step by step, there should be no problem. My husband's PC is working without any problems. Although you're going into the registry, it seems to me that you're just changing a part of the registry that pertains to the Blackberry, so anything else on the computer is untouched.
Thanks. I havent heard anything so....I guess its cool.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:50 PM   #40
bradpoff

Model: 8310
Carrier: att
Default need someone to write a program

Instead of disabling the BES stuff, I want a program that will issue a wheel click every 19 minutes since my password timeout is 20 minutes. That way I don't have to keep entering the password everytime it vibrates to tell me I have another meeting but won't let me see the meeting announcement.

Anyone know how to do this? I'm not a programer but it would seem like a simple thing to do (always is for the ignorant)

Appreciate the help.