Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 06:45 AM   #41
navindugar

Model: 9900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: vodafone
Default Re: My Bold 9900 has died 1 day after software update

Please Login to Remove!

Faced similar problem. I took out the battery and inserted. Then pressed power button while keeping the track pad pressed. Presto !! it booted after being in coma for 2 days. Now will try to delete all data, install new OS and then restore backup. Hope it recovers well...
Old 12-24-2011, 01:11 AM   #42
stevew
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Z10
Carrier: Koodo Mobile

What was the original problem you had? I'm not aware that the procedure you mentioned above is something that actually does anything...

Previously owned:
At least 17+ different BB's since 1999 -- too many to list...
Old 12-26-2011, 08:46 PM   #43
Bamellis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9850
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by asteele View Post
Wow - so mine died a day after a software update, and you are saying that you have one which also died a day after a software update - I wonder if there is a clue here - or if this is just a coincedence.

I have confident that the health of my PC (Win 7) and the USB port and cable are all fine.

I have backed up my numerous BB's on this machine many times without issue before.

When the BB started its constant 10 second reboot cycle, it was the middle of the night and it was fully charged and being charged on the mains charger - so it decided to "die" all on its own, it was not connected to anything other than a mains charger at the time.

I am not sure that this matters, but in the interest of disclosing everything - my BB 9900 actually failed during the restore part of the software upgraded when all was well in the world and I was just updating the software. I had to use bbask to wipe the OS on the partially updated/restored unit and I then ran loader again to ensure that there was a totally clean install of the new OS - and I then used the BB Desktop Manager to restore my previous backup - all that worked fine, and I then (thankfully) took another backup later in the day as well.

At least I know that the BB 9900 performed a full days work on the new OS without any issues... before it then died whilst in a mains charged state. I am not sure if I can blame the new OS, or if I have just been unlucky with a hardware failure.

It would be nice to know that some other 9900 users have updated to the latest software and got through a couple of days use without issue... who is going to be brave enough?
I have the torch and am on my third device since the update last week. I received the new one this morning after paying a visit to the Sprint store. Today I used it all day with the 7.0 and updated when I got home. It was fine until I updated but now I can't get it to connect to my pc (the also couldn't connect the one I got on the 23rd to the computer at the Sprint store today so they replaced it AGAIN), the ringer randomly shuts off (even though it is still in my default profile), and it is constantly freezing up. I'm pretty confident that the update is the problem. If anyone has a clue on how to go back to 7.0, I'd like to know.... that is if I am lucky enough to get it to connect to my pc so I can perform the update. I'm noticing the battery life has been terrible since the update, too. Good thing Sprint doesn't want me to send the batteries back with the broken phones because I now have 3. I had it fully charged and 30 minutes after unplugging it, it was only at 50%.

I know when they came out, the Bold Touch and Torch both had OS 7.0 (at least I think so) and I am not sure if the update is exactly the same but since they came out around the same time, I decided to check here after my third phone started being difficult after the update.

Last edited by Bamellis; 12-26-2011 at 08:50 PM.. Reason: Added info
Closed Thread