Old 09-28-2007, 03:34 PM   #1
lenineto

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vivo (Brazil)
Default BES - Wireless activation doesnt work

Please Login to Remove!

Can anyone give me a hint here?

I've installed BES (express edition) for testing, but there is no way I can get wireless activation to works.

Here is my platform:
- Windows 2003 SP2 Standard server + Microsoft Exchange 2003 SP2 (with OWA and OMA enabled) + MSQL 2005. Exchange works just fine, users can send and receive emails.

- BESX 4.1 installed on the same physical server as Exchange 2003

- Blackberry Curve with BES and unlimited data plan from Vivo (Brazil). VIVO doesn't supply APN information.

Here is the situation:

I've successfully installed BES on my server. From Blackberry server configuration, Test SQL server connection is succesful, Validate SRP key and ID says both are valid, Connection to srp.us.blackberry.net on port 3101 is successful.
I've created a user on BlackBerry Manager, then I set an activation password for it.
On my BB 8300, I go on the config for Enterprise Email, I put my email adress on it, put the activation password, and click Activate.
The first 3 times I tried to do that, I could see the email with the DAT file on the mailbox, but it would just stay there forever. I had to manually remove that email and restart the activation proccess.
Now if i try activation again, I dont even see the email with the DAT file anymore (but I believe its still coming in, just being processed too fast). I say that coz when logged in on OWA, after starting the activation process I get a new message warning but when I check inbox there is nothing new there.

Bottomline is, on my BB 8300 screen all I get is " Activating user@domain..."
After a long time the activation will end with an error "Cannot connect to the server. Contact your administrator".
I've read many many posts about this and I tried all I found, but so far no luck. I cant get my BB device registered.

Sorry for this long ass post, just tried to provide as much detail as possible hoping anyone can show me the light on this issue.

Thank you guys in advance.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:20 PM   #2
pintu
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100T
Carrier: AT&T

I had a simliar problem with acitivating BB 8820.

Here are my 2 cents:

1. Resend Service address books from BES for that user.
2. Delete user on BES and re-add.
3. Use the USB cradle method to do the initial activation. Then use wireless to test e-mails.

Hope this helps.

P
Old 10-05-2007, 07:38 AM   #3
lenineto

Thanks for your reply Pintu.
Unfortunately, here is what I got:
1. I don't think I can (at least I dont know how to do it) resend services to a user without a device registered.
2. Tried that too. Deleted, re-added, deleted, created a brand new user. Same thing. Nothing works.
3. USB is not an option for me since I'm running BES on a dedicated server in a datacenter. I dont have physical access to the server, thats why I need wireless activation.

I'm still in the dark on this subject
Old 10-05-2007, 08:02 AM   #4
BBAdmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: .
Carrier: .

Good level of info, thanks. If your ETP message is being orphaned in the inbox then check your BESAdmin permissions and ensure that the .DAT file is not being removed or malformed by your Anti Virus.

Also, whenever you have a failed activation I always recommend performing a Wipe Handheld and resetting the Activation password on the BES before attempting another activation.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:15 AM   #5
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

[QUOTE=Also, whenever you have a failed activation I always recommend performing a Wipe Handheld and resetting the Activation password on the BES before attempting another activation.[/QUOTE]

This is always a good step to try with a fail activation. I would try to do the following:
1) wipe the device
2) remove user from the BES
3) check the users inbox and trashcan and delete all activation emails
4) restart the Policy and synchronization services
5) re-add the user
6) set activation password
7) run enterprise activation on the device

Hopefully this helps.

Last edited by jsconyers; 10-05-2007 at 08:26 AM..
Old 10-05-2007, 08:30 AM   #6
lenineto

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBAdmin View Post
Good level of info, thanks. If your ETP message is being orphaned in the inbox then check your BESAdmin permissions and ensure that the .DAT file is not being removed or malformed by your Anti Virus.

Also, whenever you have a failed activation I always recommend performing a Wipe Handheld and resetting the Activation password on the BES before attempting another activation.
Thanks for your reply BBAdmin.
I've tried to wipe my handheld but it didn't help too.
Now about the BESAdmin permissions, I feell you maybe right about that. I will try to remove my BES from the server and install it on a separate server for a test.
I'm still a newbie on blackberry so all this thing is new to me.
I'm sure I will still have more problems ahead. After activation works, I will then work on the MDS (and I heard its not easy).
Old 10-05-2007, 08:36 AM   #7
lenineto

Thank you Jsconyers.
I'm going for a fresh install of BES and wipeing the handheld again. Hopefuly it will work this time
Old 10-05-2007, 10:40 AM   #8
Fletchi18
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: a Colada
Carrier: Verizon

I had something like this come up when I set up my BES just a few days ago. The permissions of the BESAdmin account were incorrect in the Exchange Server Manager. Under the actual Exchange server from the Server manager, I had missed 'Administer Infomation Store' permisison for the BESAdmin account. Once I did that, the next time I tried an activation, it picked the email right up and Wham-O, an activated Blackberry!
Old 10-05-2007, 11:34 AM   #9
BBAdmin

Model: .
Carrier: .

If you need any clarification on BESAdmin permissions then check my pre-installation thread here:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/bes-...ng-thread.html

Old 10-05-2007, 11:48 AM   #10
fadmin

Model: Z10
Carrier: Fido

Still don't get it why don't you install BB manager only on your workstation and run wired activation...
Old 10-05-2007, 11:52 AM   #11
jsconyers

He always could, and probably should as a backup method. However, he should get the wireless activation to work regardless. What if he has users that are not local to him and need their devices activated. It is a hassle to have the user ship the device to you, only for you to activate it and send it back.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:55 AM   #12
fadmin

Model: Z10
Carrier: Fido

But at least he can bypass email as a possible activation failure...
Old 10-05-2007, 12:03 PM   #13
jsconyers

good point, He said he is moving the BES to it's own server. I am hoping that clears things up for him. I guess we will have to wait until he gives us an update.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:28 AM   #14
newbie_zeng

Model: 8100
Carrier: singtel

hi all,

i am a newbie to this so be kind and sorry for the long mail.

i am currently also having the same issue as lenineto.

Only difference is that my BES is domino based.

Now I only had 1 device (8100 Pearl) for testing.

I had tried initially using 1 user ID for testing, which i manage to get it to work.
was able to receive and send mail.

subsequently when i wiped out the device and tried another user, the problem always occurs at the enterprise activation which is not responding.

i thought it might be the user problem, so i tried to configure the deivce with another different user, but still stuck with the same problem at enterprise activation.

At the device end, the enterprise activation will timed out and not responding after some time and ask to contact system administrator.

Configurations
BES 4.1.4
windows 2003
domino 6.5.4
pearl 8100

this is roughly what i see at the server end.

.....User is authorized for BlackBerry services by Enterprise Service Policy; will proceed with activation
....Message queue: total pending packets=3 (1:0:0:1:0:1:0:0:0:0), packets sent to wireless network=3, internal packets=0, queued events=1. Last HH Contact: 10/06/2007 11:03:04 AM
......... BES pending count 3, sent 3, queued 0

..........BES pending count 8, sent 5, queued 3
..........Message queue: total pending packets=8 (6:0:0:1:0:1:0:0:0:0), packets sent to wireless network=5, internal packets=0, queued events=4. Last HH Contact: 10/06/2007 11:41:18 AM

I had also tried synchronize the mails desktop manager and the device, was able to do it but I still don't see the mails at the device.

Really not sure where is the problem?
Old 10-09-2007, 01:40 PM   #15
lenineto

Guys I'm sorry but I was out of town for a few days and I couldn't try to reinstall BES yet. I will try it today and post an update here.
Meantime, thank you all for so many replies to my thread.
This community rocks.

Last edited by lenineto; 10-11-2007 at 09:13 AM..
Old 10-09-2007, 05:49 PM   #16
bertiebassett
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenineto View Post
This communicty rocks.
Yes generally in Orlando in May...

(do a search for WES (www.attendwes.com))
Old 10-29-2007, 08:58 AM   #17
GPFreire
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
Carrier: TIM

I'm this problem too. How can I registered my blackberry? The carrier say that i can activating but I can't. Show me activating user@domain

Win2k With SP4 + BES 4.1.4 + Domino 6.0.3 + MSDE + 8300 Curve - Carrier Vivo - Brazil

Tks

Last edited by GPFreire; 10-29-2007 at 09:12 AM..
Closed Thread