Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 08:25 PM   #1
daves
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T, former Vzw
Question telenav final announce before turn - 8830 vzw

Please Login to Remove!

I'm on 8830 VZW with current telenav (purchased last week). Usually use a garmin when driving but though I'd see how well this works (bought the telenav gpsr).

How well do you guys find the announce before the next turn working. For example, on the garmin, the final announce is .1mi before the next turn (for 30 mph roads, for example). On that final announce, it shows the turn and the distance to the turn, .1 mi .. so I pretty much know exactly where to turn.

On the telenav, though, it seems much more vague. I had the prefs set to show the turn just after the prior turn, but now changed it to announce before the upcoming turn. I haven't had a chance to try it with that setting, but do you find it reliable as a way to know where to turn? Even with the old pref, the telenav was announcing the next turn, but it seemed to vary greatly and was not a real way to tell when to turn (that combined with a problem where the audio was not reading street names eventhough I had it set on full audio).

For you who've used the telenav for a while, how well does this work for you. Is there a consistent distance before the turn it announces? Does the fact that this is running over a network on a smart phone that is also doing other things contribute to the vagueness of the final annoucne b/c the OS may be tied up and/or need to deal w/ network things at the same time? e.g. my handheld gps only has to navigate, so it does it pretty well.

Is this just a different between handheld with preloaded maps vs. a smart phone running a small app over the network, or does telenav do this ok and I just haven't figured it out yet?

any comments are appreciate..thanks...
Old 09-23-2007, 09:07 PM   #2
rickthornton
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

I can't answer your question directly since I have never felt this to be an issue and therefore, never paid much attention to it. I have always felt like I received plenty of notice with the exception of when there were multiple turns in a very short distance. One difference I have noticed with Telenav as opposed to navigation systems that do not use the street name is that Telenav does not necessarily give you a "turn now" sort of instruction since it generally instructs you to "Turn right on Main Street in .5 miles" and so forth.

Unless you have a setting problem, I don't believe you will find yourself lacking instructions necessary to sucessfully find your way.

My Preferences are set to "Full Audio", "Always Show Next Turn".

One feature that may help you is to remember that pressing the space key will provide "on demand" instructions while navigating.
Closed Thread