BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 02:47 PM   #1
Rubberduckzilla

Model: 9520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone UK
Default Just recieved a Blackberry Storm 2!!! (in the UK)

Please Login to Remove!

Hey people,

just wanted to pop in and tell everyone how great i think the BBStorm2 9520 is!

ok, Blackberry's are like marmite, you either love them or hate them.
i think there brilliant, ok the Iphone has alot of Pros, very little cons, but one you go blackberry, you rarely go back.

ok, im on Vodafone in the UK, and this morning after much griping and *****ing with my service provider over the instability of the the BBstorm 1, they agreed to give me a storm 2, i have 11months left on my contract, and they didnt ask me to lengthen the contract or pay anything more, just because i sent back 3 handsets of the original storm.
they initially gave me a Sony Ericsson Satio, and i hated it, so i whined some more,

this morning, i walk into my local vodafone shop, and enquire as to if im getting the Storm 2 next week when it releases here in the UK, the manager who i dealt with before, informs me she can do one better and give me the Storm 2 now!!!

now from what im aware and from the lack of people talking about it on various other places on the internet, i can only assume, im one of the very few literally less than 10 people in the UK that has the BBstorm 2. its due for release here on monday 26th october.

i opened the box instore, and opening the box was like looking into a mythical chest, im sure if i cast my mind back abit, i can remember the lights coming out from under the lid and angels in the background making melodic sounds in the background, but i cant be sure.
the store staff all gather round, and are all bright eyed at the first glimpse of a real storm 2 !!
i take it out, find the battery and put it in with the simcard and my 8GB memory card.
it boots up, am i the only one that thinks that the storm 1 had an awfully long boot up time? well this one does it in half the time! i kid you not.
theres no real surprises upon the boot up, different loading screen for the initial switch on, but thats about it.
the first thing i think anyone will notice is a nice little Icon in the top right of the screen "WiFi" thats a welcome sight, means i can surf nicer, link up to my wireless router at home and other places. its great, makes the surfing experience nicer.
other than that, the once glossy black and silver buttoned sides are now Rubbery matt black, its not toooooo bad. and the metal surround of the screen and running top to bottom that was Silver also, is now more a Gun Metal colour. makes it stand out less but still keeps it looking really nice.

the screen is as promised, nice and snug, with the 4 bottoms along the bottom no longer segregated from the screen, but all put in together.
the press of the screen is no longer loud and annoying, its more muffled, still clicks but not as loud when pressed.

something i see a rumour of was the possibility to turn the screen clicking off, but i havent found it yet

something else aswell! the back of the phone, is no long switch pushed to remove, its now a case of putting your finger nail under the bottom and flicking it upwards, i wonder how long that clasp will last? i see that as being one of the few problems that might arise with the new storm

the SMS is now more "chatty look" like the Iphone has, but not as nice. i think they should of left that alone, ill mess about with the settings later and see if "stripes" is better than "bubbles"

i can also see alot of grime and dirt working its way into the headphone jack, but i think they could of put a cover on it, wouldnt of done no harm.

the phone also doesnt come pre-loaded with some of the software and apps the original had, like Google Maps and VodaFone find or watever it was called, all this has to be downloaded manually.

the new Storm as promised has the 2GB built in memory which should make things better. but time will tell on how much of a difference it will make.

hope i havent bored you lot to tears and your all still reading,

i give this phone a definate 8/10 and is defo something ill be singing the praises of for a while yet.

hope this makes some peoples minds up or helps with their decisions on what phone to get next.

regards,

Rubberduckzilla
Old 10-24-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
Blueberry Tooth
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9600
Carrier: Telus

Hey that sounds great. I think. Didn't think it would be released yet. Can you tell me what the price is without a contract. And does anyone know it if unlocked can it be used on the Rogers network? Lastly if I can does anyone know where I can buy a 9520 now? Can I order from Vodaphone UK?
Old 10-24-2009, 03:34 PM   #3
Rubberduckzilla

Hi Tooth,

im not sre about European networks etc, but i do know over here in the UK, you cant buy it offline (just the phone) unless you goto Gumtree or Ebay.
you cant order from Vodafone on just a handset, you need to take out a contract, and its being released this monday coming to Pre Ordered customers only, but i kicked up enough of a stink, they gave it to me now to shut me up, i threatened to leave and goto O2 for a iphone 3gs lol, so they gave in and gave me what i wanted instead :p

give it a week, then look on ebay is my advice.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
Blueberry Tooth

Model: 9600
Carrier: Telus

Saw that Vodafone Portugal has the "new" BB Storm. But I'm confused is this the 9520? I thought the 9500 was only cdma and Vodafone is only GSM. The picture looks like a 9500. Or am I wrong?
Old 10-24-2009, 03:44 PM   #5
Rubberduckzilla

send me a direct Link to the webpage
Old 10-24-2009, 04:01 PM   #6
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

blueberry = the 9500 is GSM Storm 1, the 9530 is the CDMA Storm 1.
The 9520 is the GSM Storm 2, and the 9550 is the CDMA Storm 2.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 10-26-2009, 08:33 AM   #7
alphasports
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: Rogers (CAN) / A1 (AUT) / Swisscom (SUI) / T-Mobile (USA)

literacy would be nice, but thanks for the effort
Old 10-26-2009, 09:28 AM   #8
swstranger
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphasports View Post
I'll guess english isn't his first language. How well do you communicate in your second language?
Old 10-26-2009, 12:09 PM   #9
matt73uk

Default Got my UK Vodafone Storm 9520

I received my Storm 9520 from Vodafone today and I'm very impressed with it. I was worried that moving from the Bold 9000 to the new touchscreen might cause me a few problems but so far it's great to use.

The only thing I'm disappointed with is the lack of a storage card in the box. My Bold came with one so why not this one? Oh well I'll be ordering a 16gb Micro SD today!

At least they put a nice little protective case in the box and a cleaning cloth so I don't have to buy those. The headphones are a bit crappy though. The ones I got with my Bold are much better.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:37 PM   #10
matt73uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphasports View Post
Why is there always an idiot that has to ridicule the grammar of others on forums? Is there a forum rule in here that makes it ok for you to do so? Grow up!
Old 10-26-2009, 01:51 PM   #11
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

So what's the dirt on typing messages on this new badboy? Especially compared to the old Storm. How's the browser perform? Is the lag gone? Those are the 3 things I want to know about compared to the old beater STORM.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:41 PM   #12
matt73uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt View Post
So what's the dirt on typing messages on this new badboy? Especially compared to the old Storm. How's the browser perform? Is the lag gone? Those are the 3 things I want to know about compared to the old beater STORM.
Well first of all, I've been playing around with it all day and there is no lag anywhere! None at all.

The browser is a big improvement on the Storm 1 but still no match for the iphone Safari browser. It would've been nice to have pinch zoom but we're stuck with clicking the screen to zoom and using the escape key to zoom out again. I tried installing the Bolt browser which I've been using on my Bold for the past few months but it didn't work very well and needs updating to work better with the Storm 2.

As for typing on the keyboard, it's so much of an improvement over the original it really is a breeze to use. I couldn't type on the first Storm which was the reason I stuck with the Bold but this time around it's much better. In portrait mode I use Suretype which displays a qwerty keyboard but with 2 letters on each key. It looks odd but works surprisingly well, and the predictive text option is very good. In landscape mode the full qwerty keyboard works very well and even with my large thumbs I can type very easily and have only made a few mistakes so far.

This phone is so much of an improvement over the original you really have to have a go on one to understand. What I will add is that a lot of reviews and videos have said that the screen doesn't move....absolute rubbish! The screen DOES move and clicks in just like the first one only not as much. It's definitely a lot more user friendly and I'm very glad I took the plunge and pre-ordered.

Go get one!
Old 10-30-2009, 03:50 AM   #13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
Carrier: vodafone

how about the software? is the storm 1 software still compatible with storm 2?
Old 10-30-2009, 04:50 AM   #14
Strawberry7

Carrier: Vodafone

WOw excellent Post, thank you!! I have mentioned it on every forum on here now I think!! But I shall say it again! My Storm 2 arrives today Ive never had a blackberry but I am very excited about it!! Thanks for the info, its really helped!! YIPPEEEEEE!!!

And some people make me chuckle making silly grammer comments, there is always one isnt there... everyones been a great help, literacy or no literacy it all makes sense to me!!

Peace Out.... =o)
Old 10-30-2009, 04:52 AM   #15
ACJones

Model: 8800v
Carrier: Vodafone

Just wanted to say "thanks" to the OP for posting this story. I'm going to print it off and take it in to a VF shop, 'cos I'm in the same boat and would very much like a Storm 2 for free without changing my contract! ;-> Have played with one at work and yes it is really nice.

-ACJ
Closed Thread