BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 10:03 AM   #1
PFloyd

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-mobile
Question PC hangs at "Applying Computer Settings" after installing Desktop Manager 4.6+

Please Login to Remove!

Hi, everyone.

I have tried this on two separate PCs, using two different versions of the Blackberry Desktop Manager.

On my first laptop (Windows XP Pro SP2), after installing Desktop Manager 4.6 (with the media manager), my PC would hang for 3 minutes at "Applying Computer Settings" when logging in to my machine.

At the time, I did not understand that this was a result of the Desktop Manager.

I got a new laptop this week (XP Pro SP3) and installed version Desktop Manager 4.7 (with the media manager) and that's when I noticed the same behavior and understood what it was coming from. I uninstalled it and the problem went away; logging in to my PC was a quick as it was beforehand and the "Applying Computer Settings" would just flash on my screen briefly. I tried installing 4.7 without the media manager, and I still had the same hanging behavior at Applying Computer Settings.

(FYI, I'm running without the Desktop Manager on my PC for now. My 8320 is on BES, but I use the Desktop Manager for backing up my phone every so often.)

Any ideas? I've looked around and only see references to the BB server software causing this problem. The solutions there didn't help.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:38 AM   #2
PFloyd

Well, it does seem that someone else has noticed this problem, too, but I guess there's still no answer for it.

Since I can't post links yet...it was noticed in the following thread:
162511-critical-security-vulnerability-blackberry-desktop-software.html#post1192364

(Be nice if you could at least post a link to another forum discussion!)
Old 03-20-2009, 08:28 AM   #3
cri-tech

Model: 8700c
Carrier: AT&T

Don't know if anyone has found a fix for this or not, but I've noticed this as well. Seems to be really impacted if you are using Media Manager. I am on hold with BB tech support to see if they can come up with a workaround.

Environment:
AT&T Desktop Manager 4.6 (460_b016_multilanguage.exe)
Windows XP PRO SP3 part of a domain
2 to 3 min. delay at Applying Computer Settings or Applying Personal Settings. Not sure if this is because of the way GPO's are being applied. (ascyn or sync)
Old 03-20-2009, 08:46 AM   #4
PFloyd

Angry The problem still exists for me.

Still doesn't work properly for me, with or without the Media Manager. I don't have the Media Manager installed currently, and, for what is installed, it was working without hanging until recently, and I can't tell why. The only thing I can note is that I had a 'bad' install (the installer hung, but it had installed everything) and I think it didn't install/configure whatever causes the hanging.

Still want an answer. Let me know what they tell you.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:56 PM   #5
cri-tech

They told me to uninstall and then use KB article 02206 to reinstall. I've been working on this all day. Do you have Roxio Easy Media Creator 8 on your system/s? Symantec End Point Protection 11?

As a test, I was trying to pull SEP 11 off and then Roxio Easy Media Creator 8. In the mist of removing SEP 11, I corrupted my networking. After Removing Easy Media Creator 8 Suite, it didn't hang any more. I'm currently reloading a backup ghost image to the pc to try and just remove the Roxio Suite to confirm.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:48 PM   #6
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

SEP 11 itself is a bit of a memory hog.

If you still have the desktop manager installed, try going to Start -> Run, type MSConfig and go to the startup tab, disable all and restart see if that improves your startup time.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 03-22-2009, 05:28 PM   #7
cri-tech

Tried disabling everything using MSConfig. No difference in startup, still hangs at applying computer settings. Actually a little shocking.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:34 AM   #8
cri-tech

If you have Symantec Enpoint Protection, you can try turning off Tamper Protecion. Also, If you find the Roxio Hard Drive Watcher service, try disabling that. Still working with Symantec Support. Let me know how it turns out.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:10 PM   #9
cri-tech

Smile

I think my issues are more related to the Symantec product Enpoint Protection. I'm going to dig and research more on that side of the issue. Hope you find an answer, for that matter I hope I find an answer.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:18 AM   #10
KOR
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Typhoid Mary

For what it's worth, we experienced the same issue with several devices and finally nailed the problem down to being Media Manager. Did a complete uninstall the reinstalled Desktop Manager without Media Manager and none of the users experience the issue any more.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:40 PM   #11
Spoor

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A

Yep, doing it to me too! 2 and a half minutes "Applying Computer Settings", uninstalled 4.6 and 45 seconds. Reinstalled 4.6 and 2 and a half minutes again.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:13 AM   #12
supernewf77

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ROGERS
Unhappy Problem Still Exists

Hello,

I have the same problem and when I unistalled and then reinstalled the software without Media Center (no Roxio) the problem still existed. I'm not quite sure why it works properly on some computers and not on others.

I also noticed that if the laptop wasn't connected to the network there was no problem at the "applying computer settings" stage, but as soon as I reconnect the problem came back.

I see this has been going on for months now, does Blackberry know how to fix this problem or not?
Old 10-15-2009, 01:29 PM   #13
KOR
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Typhoid Mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernewf77 View Post
Hello,

I have the same problem and when I unistalled and then reinstalled the software without Media Center (no Roxio) the problem still existed. I'm not quite sure why it works properly on some computers and not on others.

I also noticed that if the laptop wasn't connected to the network there was no problem at the "applying computer settings" stage, but as soon as I reconnect the problem came back.

I see this has been going on for months now, does Blackberry know how to fix this problem or not?
Were there, perhaps, some older versions of DM that didn't get installed, or reg keys left behind? Excluding Roxio has worked for all my users.
Closed Thread