Jwilliams1008
No longer Registered.

Model: 8310
PIN: 243b2864
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
i said I was done and I really meant I am done arguing, i just have to laugh at this reasoning though. I really need to read that last post jwilliams1008, it made a long week a bit easier
I thought you said you were done? Or did you mean you were done except for one last jab?
Old 01-31-2008, 04:39 PM   #42
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

The bottom line is that some people charge for their work and some don't. Some people pay for themes and some don't.

Trying to figure out why someone would pay for a theme when they could get another theme for free is like trying to put reasoning to why someone prefers the color blue over the color red.

I will tell you that while I appreciate the work that the many theme builders put into their themes, I haven't run across one yet that I would buy - just because I'd prefer not too. Not because I don't appreciate their work (I do - in fact I envy people who can build nice clean themes), but that's just my preference.

And I like blue.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:39 PM   #43
Jwilliams1008
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
Jwilliams, your tread title says "Touchy question", yet you act surprised by the responses you are getting. Your question has been answered multiple times in multiple ways. I agree with dawg. This is beating a dead horse at this point.
I'm not surprised by the responses, I am surprised that no one understood what I was asking.
I totally made the post knowing that people would have a different point of view, what I didn't know was that no one would have even understood where I was coming from. People actually don't understand why I would compare theming one OS to another which is unfathomable.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:40 PM   #44
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000

actually that entire post was sincere. (and i said i meant i was done arguing) I was thanking you for giving me a laugh, it was exactly what i needed after this week.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:43 PM   #45
Jwilliams1008
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
The bottom line is that some people charge for their work and some don't. Some people pay for themes and some don't.

Trying to figure out why someone would pay for a theme when they could get another theme for free is like trying to put reasoning to why someone prefers the color blue over the color red.

I will tell you that while I appreciate the work that the many theme builders put into their themes, I haven't run across one yet that I would buy - just because I'd prefer not too. Not because I don't appreciate their work (I do - in fact I envy people who can build nice clean themes), but that's just my preference.

And I like blue.
Seriously!? How many times can I say this, I am not asking why some people charge for a BB theme yet some people don't... I get that. What I am asking is.... you know what nevermind. Apparently I need pictures, flow charts, video, and a kindergarten teacher to explain it.

Please tell me there is one person that actually gets what I'm saying? I'm not saying agrees with me, just understands what I'm saying.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:44 PM   #46
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000

MrKyoo let me get some of that NASA popcorn lol
Old 01-31-2008, 05:05 PM   #47
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwilliams1008 View Post
you know what nevermind. Apparently I need pictures, flow charts, video, and a kindergarten teacher to explain it.
Oh, please bring play-doh and some washable markers for those who you really think are less-educated than you.

You did ask why. I will quote your question again.

Quote:
Jwilliams1008
why when a much harder platform to theme (such as windows) is always free, something that has less demand and effort such as the blackberry have premium themes.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:14 PM   #48
slmoney
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: TMobile

Personally, I believe in Free Themes. Plazmic puts out a product (Themebuilder) for free, most of the icons found in a REAL theme are free, graphics are also found for free.

BUT...I also believe that when a person designs a them that takes quite a while to make, take the Moko themes that I have done...I made quite a few of the graphics on that theme. I feel I should be compenstated for my time it took me to develop and test.

There was another post that stated that many of the free themes are on sites that depend on traffic...that is SO true! Google Adsence and other advertisers pay an amount per page impression...the more people visiting for Free Themes, the more we make from Google.

And of course there are website that steal themes to generate their own traffic (nope not going there in this post)..lol.

Oh..and to answer another question...Not everyone will buy a theme. I think I have sold about 50 themes since I started posting them 4 months ago.

I can post a similar theme (free) and it will be downloaded hundreds of time over a paid theme.

And Peter...I still miss your work...hopefully you will be able to get them back online when Plazmic releases TB 4.3

Steve
Themes4BB.com
Old 01-31-2008, 05:14 PM   #49
Redflea
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A

Seek first to understand, and then to be understood.

At the risk of straying back to the original topic...I think your core comment/implied question is this:

"As a consumer I would think twice about paying for something that could be duplicated easily (at least compared to a windows theme)."

Of course, any answer you get here will be personal - no one here has done any market studies on this, so we can't expect a general response that covers the BB theme market accurately...we're pretty much data-free.

So if I've got your question right, I can tell you that personally, I have paid and will pay for a theme because:

1. They're cheap, and I make good money...I fritter $5 away on many things that have much less overall utility to me than a theme...it's (to use a trite phrase) chump change to me.

2. I'm too busy to learn how to make themes (put another way, I have many other things that I have to do and want to do that I feel are better ways to spend my time). I buy software (and many other things) because I don't have the time/patience/interest/skill set to learn how to make them.

3. I enjoy "rewarding" what I consider good work, and particularly when the author is a small (sometimes very small) businessperson, which is common w/themes, and also, as when I find a theme here in the forum, I can connect w/the actual developer in a somewhat personal way.

4. I tend to stick with one theme for a while, or move between two favorites for an extended period. So in my particular situation I get a lot of fun/enjoyment/utility from the themes I use.

5. It makes my wife crazy to see all the piddly charges to my Paypal account when she's doing her frequent Quicken reconciling. (She's the family finance guru.) <evil grin>

So that answers what I believe to be your question from my personal perspective. If you want a broader overall market view you're gonna have to pay me for a comprehensive market study, including focus groups, anova tables, and lots of powerpoint presentations.

And I can't imagine why anyone would pay someone for that! :D
Old 01-31-2008, 05:18 PM   #50
John Clark
BBF Moderator

PIN: s & needles

Why do people pay for water bottles? Because it's easier to buy them and take them with you then fill a thermos yourself and take it with you. Most themes average $5-$10. It takes several hours (maybe more) to create one theme. If I really wanted another theme, $5 doesn't seem like too much money to pay to someone who just spent hours creating it. That being said, there are many free ones out there too.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:18 PM   #51
Jwilliams1008
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redflea View Post
Seek first to understand, and then to be understood.

At the risk of straying back to the original topic...I think your core comment/implied question is this:

"As a consumer I would think twice about paying for something that could be duplicated easily (at least compared to a windows theme)."

Of course, any answer you get here will be personal - no one here has done any market studies on this, so we can't expect a general response that covers the BB theme market accurately...we're pretty much data-free.

So if I've got your question right, I can tell you that personally, I have paid and will pay for a theme because:

1. They're cheap, and I make good money...I fritter $5 away on many things that have much less overall utility to me than a theme...it's (to use a trite phrase) chump change to me.

2. I'm too busy to learn how to make themes (put another way, I have many other things that I have to do and want to do that I feel are better ways to spend my time). I buy software (and many other things) because I don't have the time/patience/interest/skill set to learn how to make them.

3. I enjoy "rewarding" what I consider good work, and particularly when the author is a small (sometimes very small) businessperson, which is common w/themes, and also, as when I find a theme here in the forum, I can connect w/the actual developer in a somewhat personal way.

4. I tend to stick with one theme for a while, or move between two favorites for an extended period. So in my particular situation I get a lot of fun/enjoyment/utility from the themes I use.

5. It makes my wife crazy to see all the piddly charges to my Paypal account when she's doing her frequent Quicken reconciling. (She's the family finance guru.) <evil grin>

So that answers what I believe to be your question from my personal perspective. If you want a broader overall market view you're gonna have to pay me for a comprehensive market study, including focus groups, anova tables, and lots of powerpoint presentations.

And I can't imagine why anyone would pay someone for that! :D
Now that is an answer. Thank you.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:21 PM   #52
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

ok, redflea, then you win...

Here is your blue ribbon!

Old 01-31-2008, 05:24 PM   #53
Jwilliams1008
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Oh, please bring play-doh and some washable markers for those who you really think are less-educated than you.

You did ask why. I will quote your question again.
Yes that was my question, and you'll see that I didn't ask why some people charge for a bb theme and others do not. Maybe everyone should re-read it again.

Oh and I didn't say anyone here was less educated than me, in fact I'm sure thats not the case. Education has nothing to do with this. A bit of an open mind would help.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:29 PM   #54
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Apparently I need pictures, flow charts, video, and a kindergarten teacher to explain it.
Your words can stand on their own.

Look I'm smiling, should you wonder if I am kidding you or not.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:30 PM   #55
Perfect Storm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Rogers

Anyone ever see that X-Files episode where dude was banging his head on the police car window and then it suddenly exploded all over the car?
Yea, that'll be me in a minute or two...
Old 01-31-2008, 05:36 PM   #56
Jwilliams1008
No longer Registered.

People are free to pay what they wish for anything they wish for any reason they wish. That isn't under debate What strikes me as odd is that the BB community doesn't think twice about charging for and paying for themes. I would think that, with the exception of a truly labor intensive and unique theme, they would insist on it being free. It's worked out that way for the windows community. And don't say that theming a bb is harder than windows, I don't know anyone that would win that debate. And don't ask why are we comparing them.... which bb themes are the most popular, oh the ones that look like other os (iPhone, Vista, OSX, etc..).

If you want to say we pay or charge because we can... thats fine, thats your answer. I'll accept that. It's not the answer to the question I asked but then again no one has shown they understand the question in the first place.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:37 PM   #57
Jwilliams1008
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Storm View Post
Anyone ever see that X-Files episode where dude was banging his head on the police car window and then it suddenly exploded all over the car?
Yea, that'll be me in a minute or two...
Why? You could very easily just avoid the thread. Everyone has that right. No need to beat yourself up.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:46 PM   #58
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

omg, PS , make room
Old 01-31-2008, 05:48 PM   #59
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Why does the BB community enable the charging of themes?
Quote:
why when a much harder platform to theme (such as windows) is always free, something that has less demand and effort such as the blackberry have premium themes.

Your question(s) have been answered.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:54 PM   #60
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Quote:
Why does the BB community enable the charging of themes?
I'm not sure there is any 'enabling' going on here (although I'm about to enable myselft to a rum and Coke in a minute). It's simple: People want to charge for their work and people are willing to pay for it.

I've reread your original post (and had some of Kyoo's popcorn, and ran from the Demon Llama). I must be missing something.

I still like blue.