BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 02:10 AM   #1
I8UB4
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Will the Storm OS ever be good enough?

Please Login to Remove!

I'm a long time BB user and got the Storm on launch day. I have until Sunday to decide whether to keep it or not. I really like the Storm a lot, but the OS really needs some work and I have to decide whether my faith that RIM will get the OS together soon is stronger than my concerns about the current state of the OS.

Today I was shopping at the mall and stopped by the Apple store and played with an iPhone for about a half hour. I bought an iPhone 3g on launch day last July and returned it after 14 days for too many reasons (all which are documented on all the forums and blogs).

While I still feel that the iPhone is more of a toy than a business device and I could never replace my BB with it, I couldn't help but be impressed with the snappiness of the OS and the beauty of the graphics on all of the apps. I mean there are some unbelievably beautiful, cool, groundbreaking apps on the iPhone. Things like Shazam, Remote, AroundMe, Pandora Radio, Band, and all of the games.

Granted that all of these are games and entertainment, but it got me wondering if the Storm OS is capable of ever creating apps that are as beautiful and functional as the iPhone's OS. I mean, is the BB OS robust enough to do these kinds of graphics? These are desktop quality graphics, and the BB OS just seems so BASIC (almost like comparing Pong or Space Invaders to Madden '08 or Call of Duty).

I am a phone enthusiast, but not a computer expert by any means. Can any of you that are developers, mods or just computer literate let me know if this OS will ever be able to measure up to the Apple or Android operating systems?
Old 12-20-2008, 07:54 AM   #2
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

I did not get the Storm at least yet because some of the reasons you mentioned. Some of the lurking revised OS are supposed to close the gap. Whether it reaches the level you want we can only hope.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 12-20-2008, 08:21 AM   #3
7 VII 7
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

I downloaded the new OS to my storm last night .83 and WOW what a difference! It feels like a new phone, how it should have been when it launched... the acelorometer is so much smoother, more application memory, camera is VAST improved and faster and the browser seems faster also.. you need to download .83 and check it out... I feel in love with the phone again!
Old 12-20-2008, 03:32 PM   #4
Neurobit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 VII 7 View Post
I downloaded the new OS to my storm last night .83 and WOW what a difference! It feels like a new phone, how it should have been when it launched... the acelorometer is so much smoother, more application memory, camera is VAST improved and faster and the browser seems faster also.. you need to download .83 and check it out... I feel in love with the phone again!
I agree, my phone is a lot more responsive.
I think that with a few more firmware releases (and third party applications), this phone will be almost perfect.

The only thing that concerns me is the responsiveness of the click screen, specially on the edges. Not sure whether this can be resolved through a software update (seems like a hardware issue to me, but time will tell).

Paul
Old 12-20-2008, 10:30 PM   #5
I8UB4
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

I downloaded .83 as well and it is an improvement. There is no doubt in my mind that RIM will get this device working perfectly in a few months.

I guess what I'm asking is whether the Blackberry OS is capable of ever doing the kind of graphics and sophisticated programs that OSX and Android are/will be capable of doing. Is it a dinosaur of a platform?

For functionality, BB can't be beat. But can they survive two, three or five years down the road by building on this platform?

I don't know the answer. I'm just looking for opinions from the experts here.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:53 AM   #6
hudres
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: n/a
Carrier: verizon
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by I8UB4 View Post
I downloaded .83 as well and it is an improvement. There is no doubt in my mind that RIM will get this device working perfectly in a few months.

I guess what I'm asking is whether the Blackberry OS is capable of ever doing the kind of graphics and sophisticated programs that OSX and Android are/will be capable of doing. Is it a dinosaur of a platform?

For functionality, BB can't be beat. But can they survive two, three or five years down the road by building on this platform?

There is no question that .83 is a significant improvement. Remember that the Storm is a hardware platform. Software can always be changed. Pretty much everyone on this forum would be classed as an 'Early Adopter". When you do that, you have to expect a few bumps and bruises.

Each successive OS has been an improvement. It is clear that RIM really wasn't ready to launch the Storm when they did, but were forced to do so by market considerations. New hardware, new interface, there are bound to be issues and lots of them.

But it seems that RIM is responsive and, at least as a business device, when coupled with the good advice found elsewhere on this forum (keyboard settings and fixes, memory and battery suggestions, etc.), the Storm is a totally viable device.

I am into my third week (and fourth OS) and it is getting better continuously. I think the most important fix is the keyboard screw adjustment. This fixed several problems and made the keyboard highly responsive. I am now typing as fast as I was on my 8703e (which was still not great, but the only basis for comparison).

The new OS (4.7.0.83) has definitely improved the speed of many applications. One, (Mileage Manager, a vehicle expense tracking program) is so fast (essentially instantaneous) that it rivals the performance of my high-end laptop. Once every thing else is working like this program, there will be no competition for the Storm. It demonstrates what RIM had in mind with this device and it is most impressive.

I would think that by the summer, RIM will have this under control and for the moment, it is way better than anything else out there. 73
Old 12-21-2008, 01:58 AM   #7
richpjr

Model: 8130

Quote:

Yes, the Blackberry OS is a dinosaur and is aging rapidly. It may be possible to patch it to get the graphics better but Apple has a big head start and appears to be pulling away. Blackberry will survive, especially with their real core customer base. To me, the Storm is kind of a cross over device to try and appeal to both the business guy as well as the consumer. The problem is, it does neither particularly well. I have a Storm and am "stuck" on Verizon for a variety of reasons and the iPhone is not an option for me. But if the iPhone was offered on Verizon, I'd guess not many Storms would be sold. My iPod Touch simply fuels my Apple envy.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:35 AM   #8
evilblade
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
PIN: 20CAAE94
Carrier: Vodafone UK

If iPhone soft after almost 2 years and run on 20 years old CPU is, i guess finally this will be smooth as well.

Cheers
Old 12-23-2008, 02:41 AM   #9
The Truth
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 VII 7 View Post
I would be weary of jumping to these conclusions, I ran .83 for a few weeks before deciding that it was too unstable to keep. Im currently using .76 now which is much more stable. For the first 2 weeks .83 ran perfectly but over time it seemed to get worse and worse to the point where my phone almost became unusable. I suspect some third party app incompatibility (google talk, yahoo messenger, etc.) were what caused the downfall, but overall your OS should be compatible with these RIM approved apps.

On other forums people discuss in depth the issues with .83 which include the infamous Verizon Logo screen of death, reboots, freezing, etc. But most people are too caught up with the improved battery life and better camera to really take these issues to heart.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:45 AM   #10
mikestorm

Quite honestly, I don't think they will build on this platform. I suspect this is the last time we'll see this OS. The iPhone's OS was developed from the ground up with the specific device in mind to take advantage of the iPhone's unique design and functions. This is why the process and flow of the device are bar none and mundane actions such as menu navigation are a work of art.

The Storm's OS, on the other hand, was modified from a conventional BB OS to work with the Storm. Look how well that's working out. RIM will say it only appears that way so as not to disenfranchise existing BB users (maintaining the same look and feel) but that's just marketing spin.

I suspect the next gen Storm (or any future touchscreen blackberries) will sport an OS that was developed specifically for the device.

As for the hardware, that's another story. I think that BB has firmly thrown their hat in the ring to go after Apple, and this is certainly not the last Storm we'll see.

P.S. Not a developer, programmer or industry insider, just my .02
Old 12-23-2008, 08:34 AM   #11
ScottRPriester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: STORM
Carrier: VERIZON WIRELESS

Quote:
I am a phone enthusiast, but not a computer expert by any means. Can any of you that are developers, mods or just computer literate let me know if this OS will ever be able to measure up to the Apple or Android operating systems?
Sometimes I wonder what people expect out of a device. I've had my phone for almost two weeks, and have the latest software upgrade and am perfectly happy with my phone.

I think people want something 100 percent perfect, and considering it's an electronic device, so you're never going to get that.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:56 AM   #12
Kopter

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon (BES)

I agree with ScottRPriester... just what do folks want from their device? I was in a Best Buy over the weekend looking at one of those $200/8 inch display mini laptops.... well guess what.. my Storm does just about everything the mini laptop does... and best of all the BBerry has UNSTOPPABLE push email; the main reason I use a BB to begin with !!!

The .83 OS is snappier and really takes the Storm to where it needed to be. Upgrade today.

As an aside, there was a piece in today's WSJ about RIM's intention to launch a software store.... sometime early next year. That said, I love the apps I have on my Storm already. I seriously cannot thing of anything I would NEED to add.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:00 AM   #13
mikestorm

I don't think the OP is comparing function for function with the iPhone, I think he's commenting on the overall synergy between the iPhone's hardware and the (current) firmware that runs it, and wonder's if the Storm's OS will ever have a comparable relationship with its device.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:07 AM   #14
Kopter

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon (BES)

Does anyone recall the issues with the iPhone's debut OS... if memory serves, there were a number of patches/updates; allowing the iPhone to be better able to have that relationship.
I think the Storm will get there...
Again, with each released OS, (.65, .75, leaked .76, .83), the interface between third party apps and the OS has gotten better. IMHO !!
Old 12-23-2008, 10:49 AM   #15
jdcdpm52

Model: 8130
Carrier: verizon wireless

So is it a bad thing that blackberry put the storm out with the OS maybe not quite ready for primetime?...the OS updates seem to be addressing the problems as they come up. So with all of the people using the storm and bringing up the problems as they encounter, RIM seems to be addressing them fairly quickly, therefore we are getting the device we want based on our feedback. I guess we are the test subjects...but is that a bad thing when it leads to a device and OS we like. (I am still on the Curve but will be getting a storm shortly expecting the OS updates will keep addressing the issues it needs to as they come up).
Old 12-23-2008, 11:20 AM   #16
CubicleDrone

Version 0.83 is an improvement. The OS will get better as the iterations increase.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:28 AM   #17
Vertioch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Every technology product is released with problems. Is this ethical? Probably not, but you simply cannot squish every bug with internal testing. It's when it hits the marketplace that users find the problems. Things are designed according to how developers believe a product will be used, often that is simply not how they end up being used, and that frustrates a user because it seems logical a product should work how they want it to. It is important that the hardware not be a liability, because software can be fixed, and sometimes used to help/enhance hardware.

The Storm will never be an iPhone. If you want mobile games, buy yourself a DS. Games on a BB are something to pass the time when you're in transit, I don't believe it's meant to be a pretty gaming console.

The hope of the storm for me, is that it is mobile device I have always dreamed of, a phone, Internet Device, Organizer (PDA), mp3 player, and digital camera all wrapped up in one. If it does anything else, great that's a bonus. Ever since I used to carry around a palm, a cellphone, and an iPod I wished there would be a replacement for those to reduce excess items. For me, the storm is it. it isn't perfect. But, the problems are more in the software than the hardware.

The technology is getting close to having a device like the Storm be a laptop replacement... Perhaps the iPhone could offer the same, but it simply isn't as secure, nor does it have the corporate capabilities of BES. BES is really RIMs advantage at this point...

But, if you want a toy phone, get yourself an iPhone. This isn't meant as a slam. Some people want toys, and the Storm isn't on par with the iPhone in that department (and I don't predict it ever will be). There's nothing wrong with that.

Now, if they could just find a way to truly secure bluetooth so I could use that technology without worrying about someone hacking my phone...

Oh, and I've had mixed results w/ .83... some things are better... but my phone crashes more than it used to on .75... I'm hopeful the official release for Verizon will improve that.

Last edited by Vertioch; 12-23-2008 at 11:29 AM..
Old 12-23-2008, 11:47 AM   #18
acoustix
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9930

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilblade View Post
If iPhone soft after almost 2 years and run on 20 years old CPU is, i guess finally this will be smooth as well.

Cheers
I'm not sure what you're talking about. The iPhone's CPU wasn't around 20 years ago or 10 years ago. Heck, most desktop computers weren't even running at 620MHz 10 years ago.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:37 PM   #19
billjab

Carrier: vzw

Will there EVER be as many apps as the iphone? they games on the iphone as well as programs like pandora seem out of league for this phone since i got it...
Old 12-23-2008, 01:03 PM   #20
gsontag
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
PIN: 3050BF93

I have to agree with Kopter. When the Iphone first came out it had its bugs and everyone complained about that. Now people are saying that it is unbelievable that the storm did not launch with a apps store or a perfect OS just b/c the iphone has it now. But need i remind you that there were multiple touch screen devices out before the iphone and when the iphone launched it was not perfect. Give the storm some time to get moving and it will surpass the iphone.

And as for having as many apps as the iphone. . . I honestly hope there will never be that many apps. If i wanted a toy i would have gotten an iphone to listen to music and play games rather then email and phone calls. Don't get me wrong having a ton of apps to choose from is nice but why in the world would I need a fake Koi pond on my phone?