Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 11:27 PM   #1
AZsteelman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: ATT
Default Mystery - huge data usage while in Mexico

Please Login to Remove!

I was in Mexico City a couple weeks ago. Found out today on my bill there was an unbelievable amount of data used while I was there. The records showed @ 2:30 am one nite 10,950kb. I was asleep. Every nite there was some huge data used. Several times also in the morning more big blocks of data. It wasn't me, no big emails or attachments. Can't get anything that large anyway. I wasn't watching movies or surfing.

Anyone have any idea what could be the reason for this? I've got nothing running that could use that type of data. Normal use monthly isn't much data at all. I did nothing different.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:05 AM   #2
Wolf_Dreams
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Default Re: Mystery - huge data usage while in Mexico

Sounds like the same kind of scams you run into at the airport: dirty passort $50 fine (paid in cash)

The extortion the cops commit. Tourists passing thru can be easily targeted by cellular company employees.

I would point out the steady, average data usage before you got anywhere near Mexico City

Next time, use this Free Data Tracking App. It tracks every single bit of data and wifi usage. It even logs the usage and can send an email to a user-selected email address...

E-Office Mobile Data Alerter (trial)
ITS TOTALLY FREE FOR SINGLE LICENSES!!

BlackBerry App World - e-office Mobile Data Alerter - trial
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 05-12-2011, 10:41 PM   #3
pshute
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Optus

Not sure about the large amount of data, but I've had users complain about high charges for small amounts of data when in other countries (SE Asia).

The bill showed normal bits and pieces of data being charges normal amounts by other telcos as he travelled. Then one night a particular telco charged huge amounts for the same traffic.

I now advise users to either turn the phone off most of the time while travelling, or at least turn off wireless. Then they turn it on a couple of times a day to check email. The phones seem to regularly transfer small amounts of data, even when nothing seems to be happening, so I suppose it can just add up to a lot.

You just don't know what you're going to be charged, so don't give them the chance.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:45 PM   #4
biggy82

PIN: N/A
Carrier: TSTT bmobile

RSS feeds from FB, Twitter and other social networking sites can add up so make sure and change your auto-notification settings for these sites. if you have a lot of BBM contacts, everytime they update their statuses, your phone will use data. if you have email configured, try using the email filters so that stuff you can read later (on a normal computer connection) like e-magazine subscriptions, get put in a folder automatically. therefore, only important e-mails stay in your inbox and get transferred to your phone

hope this helps
Old 05-15-2011, 01:58 PM   #5
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

AZ, post an update if you get to the bottom of it, or even if you don't.

The only thing I can think of that would use a lot of data at one time at more or less the same time each day would be a podcast app downloading podcasts. But it sounds like you would know if you were doing that.

I'm guessing scam or some sort of error.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

Last edited by aiharkness; 05-15-2011 at 01:59 PM..
Closed Thread