BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: Was the problem resolved?
Work Perfectly 0 0%
Useful 0 0%
No Real Help 0 0%
A Complete Waste Of Time 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 01:57 PM   #1
maraz

Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Digicel Trinidad and Tobago
Default Possible fixes for Desktop Manager/Driver/No Standard Modem Issues (Vista)

Please Login to Remove!

Good day all,

I had a BB 8100 which I had Tethered to my HP Dessktop (Running Vista 32bit) to use as Modem using Desktop manager 4.2.something. I upgraged to a BB 8120 and attempt to upgrade the DM software that came with the device and that's where my problem began. After a week of googling I have managed to have all issues resolved by applying various fixes.

I decided to post these fixes in one location to assist others that may be having the same issues I had.

NB. Please note that I do not claim to be the person that came up with all of these fixes...I have simply gathered them into one central location to hopefully save some people alot of time, frustration and money.

Issue 1.
Destop Manager Freezes/Hangs/Not Responding after Software upgrade

Resolution
Perform a clean uninstall of Blackberry Software.

Task 1: Uninstall BlackBerry Desktop Software

For Windows 98/ME/2000/XP
  1. Close BlackBerry® Desktop Manager, if it is running.
  2. Open the Control Panel and double-click Add or Remove Programs.
  3. Select BlackBerry Desktop Software and click Change/Remove.
  4. On the InstallShield® Wizard window, select the Remove option and click Next.
  5. On the Uninstall Options window, select the check box labeled Remove all user settings for BlackBerry Desktop Software.
  6. On the Confirm Uninstall window, click OK.
  7. On the InstallShield Wizard window, click Finish.

For Windows Vista®
  1. Close BlackBerry Desktop Manager, if it is running.
  2. Open the Control Panel and click Programs and Features.
  3. Select Uninstall a program.
  4. Select BlackBerry Desktop Software and click Change/Remove.
  5. On the InstallShield Wizard window, select the Remove option and click Next.
  6. On the Uninstall Options window, select the check box labeled Remove all user settings for BlackBerry Desktop Software.
  7. On the Confirm Uninstall window, click OK.
  8. On the InstallShield Wizard window, click Finish.

Task 2: Remove computer registry entries

Warning: The following procedure involves modifying the computer registry. This can cause substantial damage to the Windows operating system. Document and back up the registry entries prior to implementing any changes.

Note: This task removes registry entries for any Research In Motion® software on the computer, including BlackBerry Manager for the BlackBerry® Enterprise Server.

For reasons that may or may not be known, BlackBerry Desktop Software may not have been installed or uninstalled properly. As a result, some registry keys mentioned below may not be present. If you cannot locate a particular registry key that is mentioned, proceed to the next step.

To delete the Research In Motion registry keys, complete the following steps:

Note: Two registry keys may exist at this location. An alphabetical list starts at the bottom of the {<number>} entries.To determine which {<number>} key to remove, click on each one until the display name on the right side of the window displays BlackBerry Desktop Software.

Close the Registry Editor.

Task 3: Delete folders from the computer

To delete the Research In Motion folders, complete the appropriate procedure below, depending on the version of Windows that is installed on the computer.

For Windows 2000 or XP
  1. Open Windows® Explorer.
  2. Browse to C:\Program Files\. Delete the Research In Motion folder, if present.
  3. Browse to C:\Program Files\Common Files\. Delete the Research In Motion, Pumatech Shared, and Pumatech Desktop Setup folders, if present.
  4. In C:\Program Files\Common Files\, rename the InstallShield folder to InstallShield_Old.
  5. Browse to C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\. Delete the Research In Motion and BlackBerry Desktop folders, if present.

Note: If you are unable to see the Application Data folder, it may be a hidden system folder. See the Additional Information section of this article for instructions on how to display hidden files and folders.

For Windows Vista
  1. Open Windows Explorer.
  2. Browse to C:\Program Files\. Delete the Research In Motion folder, if present.
  3. Browse to C:\Program Files\Common Files\. Delete the Research In Motion folder, if present.
  4. In C:\Program Files\Common Files\, rename the InstallShield folder to InstallShield_Old.
  5. Browse to C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\ and delete the Research In Motion and BlackBerry Desktop folders, if present.

Note: If you are unable to see the Roaming folder, it may be a hidden system folder. See the Additional Information section of this article for instructions on how to display hidden files and folders.

Note: If the Pumatech software is being used by synchronization software for other devices, re-install the synchronization software.

For Windows 98 or ME
  1. Right-click on the Start button and select Explore to open Windows Explorer.
  3. Browse to C:\Windows\Application Data\. Delete the Research In Motion folder, if present.

Task 4: Register the atl.dll file

The atl.dll file needs to be registered with Microsoft® Windows® in order for BlackBerry® Desktop Manager to work properly.

To register the atl.dll file, complete the procedure that corresponds with the Microsoft Windows operating system you have installed on your computer.

For Microsoft Windows 98, ME, or Windows NT 4.0
  1. Open a command prompt by selecting Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.
  2. Depending on your operating system, type one the following at the command prompt and press ENTER:
  3. For Windows NT 4.0, type cd c:\winnt\system32
  4. For Windows 98 and ME, type cd c:\windows\system
  5. Type regsvr32 atl.dll and press ENTER. A message indicates that the registration was successful.
  6. Type exit and press ENTER.
  7. Restart the computer.

For Microsoft Windows 2000 or XP
  1. Click Start > Run.
  2. In the Run window, type regsvr32 atl.dll and click OK. A message indicates that the registration was successful.
  3. Restart the computer.

For Microsoft® Windows Vista™
  1. Click Start > All programs > Accessories
  2. Right click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
  3. In the Command Prompt window, type regsvr32 atl.dll and press Enter.
  4. A message indicates that the registration was successful.
  5. Restart the computer.

Task 5: Restart the computer

When the computer restarts, you are ready to re-install BlackBerry Desktop Software.

Issue 2.
Vista Not Installing/Finding/Locating Drivers/Driver Issues

Resolution
Locate Drivers Manually + Update INF & PNF Files

If Vista in not locating the necessary drivers please follow the below steps to point Vista in the right direction.

1. Ensure that you have Admin Access.
  2. Hit Start and Right Click on Manage.
  3. Select Device Manager
  4. Browse the Dropdowns for your device. There will be a yellow caution sign() next to it.
  5. Right Click on the Device and select update/install Driver.
  6. Select the option to locate Driver Manually.
  7. Select browse and point installer to c:\windows\system32
  8. Select ok and Allow Installer to search for Drivers.

All necessary drivers should be located and Installed.

If the Above doesnt work try steps below.

For a more permanent fix the please try the below fix posted by another user (WickedMX...thanks man without you i would have still been totally lost).

"I've been experiencing the same problem with usb storage devices for the last few weeks and have visited numerous forums discussing it. After having no joy I decided to take a look around my system folders and have now got these devices working again. While looking around I discovered 2 points of interest:

1. In C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository I had two folders named "usbstor.inf" but each one had a different set of numbers attached to the end of the folder name. - could this be where part of the problem lies?

2. When i looked in my C:\Windows\inf folder i discovered the usbstor.inf and usb stor.pnf files were missing - this definitely had to be an issue.

Once I discovered these anomalies, I proceeded to copy the pnf and inf files from the most recently updated usbstor.inf folder to C:\Windows\inf. I then went back to the update driver wizard, pointed to the inf folder and what do you know but they all started working again."

Issue 3.
No Standard Modem after drivers have been Installed

Resolution
Update mdmgen.inf File/Add Hardware Manually

Click Start>type Run in search box and press enter>type %systemroot%\inf. Click OK.
Locate the mdmgen.inf file, then copy into a new folder on the desktop and name the folder mdmgen.inf_copy.
Open the copied mdmgen.inf File using Notepad and Search for "standard Modem" using Ctrl+F. If a list of Standard modem (e.g. Standard Modem; Standard Modem 33300. etc) is present mdmgen.inf file is updated. If the entries are not found you will need to obtain an updated mdmgen.inf file from another PC (XP Copies will work as well).
Once you have determined that you have the updated mdmgen.inf file open the Desktop Manager and go to Control Panel>Add Hardware
On the Add Hardware Wizard click next>Select "install the Hardware that I manually select..." and click next>Select Modems and click next>Tick "Dont Detectmy modem..." and click next>click on have disk then browse to your desktop and select the mdmgen.inf_copy Folder and then open the mdmgen.inf file> Then click ok.
The drivers for the BB Modem will then be located, you will them be asked which version to install, select Standard Modem 333000 and install on all com ports.

Once completed the Blackberry Standard Modem will now be displayed in Device manager and can now be configured for use as a modem.

These are the steps that worked for me and if the issues you face are the same as mine it should for you as well. I hope that you find this info useful.

If you try it and it works or you have any thing to add please let me know.

Thanks.
Closed Thread