BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: Would you want the next Curve/Bold to be touchscreen?
Yeah it would be great 13 33.33%
Nooooooo please don't :( 19 48.72%
Don't care, doesn't bother me either way 7 17.95%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 01:38 AM   #1
BlitzSix
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Rogers
Default Do you WANT touch screen?

Please Login to Remove!

I sometimes wonder if I'm the only one but I'm not a fan of touchscreen at all. And I know that with this you guys will agree since we love our keyboards, but I'm saying that even if they made a new device with a keyboard AND touchscreen I woudln't really like it.

I just don't see the appeal, I mean if it already has a keyboard then why make it touch? Then the icons would have to be bigger to make it "finger friendly" and I just prefer using a trackball to navigate around. A lot of people see touchscreen as an upgrade, but the way I see it, you're still using a mouse on your PC/Mac and no one plans to use touch monitors so why do people want it on phones?

I really hope the next generation Bold/Curve doesn't become touchscreen :(
Old 12-16-2008, 02:53 AM   #2
Ben850
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: G1
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted (T-Mobile 8120)

I've been craving a touchscreen, but want to keep the BB functionality and do NOT want the storm so I ordered a G1 yesterday and will keep my BB on the back burner
Old 12-16-2008, 09:32 AM   #3
mrtune
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzSix View Post
I just don't see the appeal, I mean if it already has a keyboard then why make it touch? Then the icons would have to be bigger to make it "finger friendly" and I just prefer using a trackball to navigate around. A lot of people see touchscreen as an upgrade, but the way I see it, you're still using a mouse on your PC/Mac and no one plans to use touch monitors so why do people want it on phones?

I really hope the next generation Bold/Curve doesn't become touchscreen :(
Have you every had to do a lot of scrolling with the trackball? It is a huge pain in the butt. I don't mind for using it to select my way through menus or to pick an app to open, but it's usability limits end their.

I would much prefer to scroll through a long message list or email or webpage by just sliding my finger on the screen than rolling the trackball.

I came from an iPhone to a blackberry. Touchscreens can be very good if implemented well, Apple has shown it's possible.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:28 AM   #4
Fletchi18

Model: 9530
PIN: a Colada
Carrier: Verizon

It has to be a good device for me either way...touch screen or not. If it's not a good device, then I don't care about the bells and whistles, it would still be a bad phone.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:28 PM   #5
alslsb

Model: Class
PIN: erest

I am more excited about the screen space for movies and web browsing. I actually wish RIM would have an equivalent to the T-Mobile G1 google phone; scroll ball,touchscreen and a slid out keyboard.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:28 PM   #6
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Model: 9630
PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Don't Care -- I love my Storm.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:53 PM   #7
CrazyBeautiful
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900

Wirelessly posted

Well I don't mind scrolling a lot with my trackball or just clicking the #9 on my Pearl till I get to where I need to go. Touch screens are cool but I really love my Pearl. My Pearl ofcourse doesn't have a full keyboard but just like a regular phone you get use to texting. I love it all the way around just the way it is except that it doesn't have a video recorder. But other than that, I love my Pearl and am not to interested in a touch screen. Plus like you said everything has to be bigger to be finger friendly and that's just not cute.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:58 PM   #8
strike2tamu
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBeautiful View Post
Wirelessly posted

Well I don't mind scrolling a lot with my trackball or just clicking the #9 on my Pearl till I get to where I need to go. Touch screens are cool but I really love my Pearl. My Pearl ofcourse doesn't have a full keyboard but just like a regular phone you get use to texting. I love it all the way around just the way it is except that it doesn't have a video recorder. But other than that, I love my Pearl and am not to interested in a touch screen. Plus like you said everything has to be bigger to be finger friendly and that's just not cute.
Lol
Old 12-16-2008, 02:00 PM   #9
kjjb0204
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

If anyone's played around with the new Samsung Epix at an AT&T store, you'll quickly see why having a physical keyboard and a touch screen can be a great combination. If rim could make that combo, it might just be the ultimate BB. Since rim only has one or the other at the moment, I'll take the physical keyboard.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:02 PM   #10
nchavez
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: ATA

I personally like the actual keyboard, although have been recently tempted into the whole touchscreen evolution because my girlfriend got a G1. That's a great device, still like the BB UI better but man, it's sweet.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:42 PM   #11
rockbottom8
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
PIN: 321D643B

gimme a touch screen with keyboard!

I am annoyed by my dad's Storm. Thank God I stayed with the 8830
Old 12-16-2008, 09:46 PM   #12
radimus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (8700c)

I have no desire for a touch screen device anymore. I much prefer a hardware keyboard over any of the soft keyboards I have tried. I also do not like the way the soft keyboards take up a lot of the screen when you activate them. I am never as accurate with them as with a hardware keyboard as well.

The last touchscreen devices I liked are the Windows Mobile PDA's. Navigating with the stylus is very quick and I can write pretty quickly using the Block Reognizer. But you need to use the stylus, which really limits one handed operation. I tinkered around with a iPhone and a Storm already. I couldn't stand their keyboards.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:36 AM   #13
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

I doubt RIM will force everyone to go with touchscreens. It's just not their style given their past offerings in the different model lines. Personally, I've never had a touchscreen that didn't either completely fail or go so far out of alignment that the included utilities couldn't realign it.
Closed Thread