Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Default Ascendo Money for Blackberry

Please Login to Remove!

Ascendo Money for Blackberry

Date reviewed: April 4th, 2006
Version: 1.0
Web: http:www.ascendo-inc.com

Summary of application: Ascendo Money is a "checkbook" type of application that is available for the Blackberry. It is designed for those who, like me, only carry a bank card and not a full blown checkbook. Some carry receipts, but I always seem to lose mine. With this application, you can ensure that the funds withdrawn are accounted for every time.

Price as tested: $14.95USD
Payment types: Card or "Bill My Phone"
================================================== =======
Hi there! Back with another review (hopefully this one will be up to par with Lgreenberg). The product in the spotlight this time, Ascendo Money. I stumbled across this product upon the need for a new money managing application. Carrying around a checkbook can be cumbersome and awkward. I rarely remember to put my deductions down in the book anyways. That can lead to money managing disasters. This program is designed for users who travel light, carrying only their trusty blackberry.

When I downloaded the program, I purchased through their new "Bill my phone" option, which directly charges your carrier account. There was a hiccup with the billing process and I never received my registration code. That was resolved quickly by an email through customer support. As soon as I had my registration code, I was on my way checking out the program. The main screen is as shows:

The main screen is blank with no account set up initially, but a quick trackwheel click and your on your way. You can set up an account by selecting new account. From there you can set your account name the currency and the amount that is currently in your account, as well as the start date. One funky thing that I noticed that has not taken much time to get used to, is that you cannot add decimals. For instance, to enter $40.00 you just enter 4000.

Once you start entering transactions, they are automatically organized (as they should be ) by date. You have to remember to put a - next to the dollar amount for deductions as there is no option for deduction or deposit on the transaction add menu.

Once a transaction has been entered, the user can view all contents and make the necessary adjustments (edit) to the transaction.

This program offers decent functionality and versatility for its users. It contains a balance option, automatically balancing the account and presenting a pop up screen with your total. You can delete a transaction or delete all transaction on or before a certain date. You can sort by date or by date. On the main screen there is a send by mail option in which you can send an account report from your blackberry to an email address of your choice. Unfortunately at this time, I have not successfully opened the attachment (comes as a .txt file) so I cannot comment on the view of that option. One thing I noticed as well is there is no security feature of this application. Meaning anyone who is snooping in your blackberry will see all of your transactions with ease. All though there is no space for account numbers, I still like knowing my privacy is contained.

Overall, for the price this application is easy to use and very clean. If you like different colors or styles, the have the following:

Classic; Red; Grey; Blue; Modern; Aquamarine; Lines; Mechanics

I like the program and plan on keeping it, but was not full blown impressed by it. It suffices for what I need, a low priced account managing application. With an unsuccessful email application and no privacy control, this application has earned 3 blackberry's out of 5 in my book. Good luck

Last edited by coreyg510; 04-05-2006 at 01:14 PM..
Old 05-29-2006, 05:40 PM   #2
BerryCool
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: T-Mobile

Marc from Ascendo here. We launched Version 2.1 of Money recently. It resolves the issues raised by Corey.
- More intuitive entry of dollar amounts with decimals.
- Menu options for Add Deposit and Add Withdrawal to avoid entering the "-" (minus symbol).
- Added Desktop Sync tool as alternative to Export via email.
- Added password protection.
http://www.ascendo-inc.com/Money.html
Old 06-01-2006, 01:29 AM   #3
kurrupt_1
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: 2159FC90

For some reason when I export from MS Money and import into Ascendo Money the balance is not the same. And for the life of me I can not figure out why.

Can anyone help with this issue?
Old 06-05-2006, 05:14 PM   #4
Workingmen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: ATT

kurrupt,
I have not exported out of MS Money but had a similar problem where the balance was not reflecting all of my entries. Each account has a start date and if that date is after some of your transactions, it does not include the earlier ones in the balance. I had to edit the account and move the start date of the account back a few months.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:20 PM   #5
Workingmen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Marc,
Version 2 is a great upgrade and well worth the money! The ability to synch both ways to the desktop application allows the entry of data on the road by BB and if you have more data to use a full size keyboard.

A couple of minor corrections I noticed. When I delete a transaction on the desktop and synch to the BB, the BB puts the transaction back on the desktop even thought the desktop deletion was the last activity. The other item is that the desktop is still on Version 1 and can not do the transfers to another acccount. One last question is why doesn't the desktop install as a program instead of having to find the file and clicking on the executable?

Overall, a big upgrade to the money management software on the BB!!!
Old 06-06-2006, 11:12 AM   #6
stripesace
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300

Does this software direct synch with money?
Old 06-09-2006, 12:48 PM   #7
BerryCool
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workingmen
kurrupt,
I have not exported out of MS Money but had a similar problem where the balance was not reflecting all of my entries. Each account has a start date and if that date is after some of your transactions, it does not include the earlier ones in the balance. I had to edit the account and move the start date of the account back a few months.
Workingmen is right.

The reason we allow you to reset the balance amount and initial balance date is that some people don't have the time to enter all of their transactions or they make mistakes and don't want to reconcile.

If you one of them , simply reset the balance in Ascendo Money to the most recent balance amount and date reported by your bank and make sure that all transactions since this date have been entered into Ascendo Money.

Marc
Ascendo
http://www.ascendo-inc.com/MoneyFAQ.html
Old 06-09-2006, 01:59 PM   #8
kurrupt_1
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerryCool
Workingmen is right.

The reason we allow you to reset the balance amount and initial balance date is that some people don't have the time to enter all of their transactions or they make mistakes and don't want to reconcile.

If you one of them , simply reset the balance in Ascendo Money to the most recent balance amount and date reported by your bank and make sure that all transactions since this date have been entered into Ascendo Money.

Marc
Ascendo
http://www.ascendo-inc.com/MoneyFAQ.html
Marc,

I did as you suggested and changed the date on the BB and it worked great! However, I wanted to import everything from MS Money and that's when I came across the problem. Even if I changed the date to sync it still have me differring amounts. So, unless you have a fix that I can use I will use it, if not then I will have to settle for what transaction I have now instead of the past 6 months that I needed.

Other then that you have a great program. I wonder if someday it can sync with MS Money without having to export/import the information.

Nic

Last edited by kurrupt_1; 06-09-2006 at 02:17 PM..
Old 06-10-2006, 08:14 PM   #9
koleary19067
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: STORM
PIN: MOBILE
Carrier: VERIZON

Does it sync with Quicken ?
Old 07-06-2006, 05:50 PM   #10
BerryCool
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by koleary19067
Does it sync with Quicken ?
Ascendo Money syncs with the Ascendo Money Desktop. From the Desktop, you can Import/Export to QIF and CSV files which will allow you to exchange data with Quicken. Direct sync to Quicken is on our development roadmap but can't commit to a date.

marc
ascendo
Old 07-12-2006, 06:19 AM   #11
Workingmen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Kurrupt,
In the desktop version of Ascendo, under "file / preferences" there is a choice of how many items to synchronize. Could setting this much higher solve your issue?
Workingmen

ps: No I don't work for Ascendo, just like the program since I have been looking for this capability since the day I moved to a BB from WM.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:09 AM   #12
kurrupt_1
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerryCool
Ascendo Money syncs with the Ascendo Money Desktop. From the Desktop, you can Import/Export to QIF and CSV files which will allow you to exchange data with Quicken. Direct sync to Quicken is on our development roadmap but can't commit to a date.

marc
ascendo
Marc,

I had to replace my BB, due to a mishap on the freeway while riding, I loaded Ascendo Money and it's asking for a reg code again. Can I get a new code sent to me?
Old 07-17-2006, 09:31 AM   #13
stripesace

Model: 8300

Marc,
Do you see Direct Synch to Microsoft Money anytime soon?

This is one thing I really miss from carrying my Dell Axim...
Old 07-17-2006, 10:40 AM   #14
kurrupt_1
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripesace
Marc,
Do you see Direct Synch to Microsoft Money anytime soon?

This is one thing I really miss from carrying my Dell Axim...
I miss the same thing with my iPAQ. This would be a feature that would be sweet. Also if Ascendo Money would automatically set the date to match the date in MS Money so we don't have to configure the date manually.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:25 PM   #15
BerryCool
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Some answers and a few questions...

Thanks for your questions and in some cases, your reponses. We really appreciate it!

>>Do you see Direct Synch to Microsoft Money/Intuit Quicken anytime soon?
We have had a lot of requests for direct sync so it is moving up our priority list. We will discuss it and decide when we lock down the features list for Version 3 planned for Spring 07.
The current version of Ascendo Money syncs with the Ascendo Money Desktop. From the Desktop, you can Import/Export to QIF and CSV files which will allow you to exchange data with MS Money/Quicken.

>>Also if Ascendo Money would automatically set the date to match
>>the date in MS Money so we don't have to configure the date manually.
Do you mean the initial balance date? I think we may have fixed it but not sure. Could you use our contact us form to work it out and then we can post a response. Ascendo Inc. - Award Winning Software for Java Telephones & PDAs such as Blackberry, Symbian, etc. > Contact Us

>>I had to replace my BB, due to a mishap on the freeway while riding,
>>I loaded Ascendo Money and it's asking for a reg code again.
>>Can I get a new code sent to me?
You can get Registration Keys from the distributor you purchased the product from. If you hand ANY problem retrieving your key, write us using Contact Us form and we will hunt it down. Please see Ascendo Money - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for more info.

>>The other item is that the desktop is still on Version 1 and can not
>>do the transfers to another acccount.
We fixed that. You can download latest version from distributors. Upgrades from 2.0 to 2.x are free.

>>Why doesn't the desktop install as a program instead of having to
>>find the file and clicking on the executable?
Good point. Added it to feature requests. For now you can drag the AscendoMoneyDesktop.exe file to the Start button and drop it in the program list to create a shortcut.

This thread was set up for Ascendo Money Version 1 but discussion has changed to Version 2, launched ~April 06. It would be great if somebody could do a review for Version 2 so new people reading the thread don't get confused. Best place would be BBF Reviews section but I think only certain members are allowed to post there, not sure... Does anybody know?

Best,
Marc
Ascendo Inc.

Last edited by BerryCool; 09-06-2006 at 01:36 PM..
Old 09-25-2006, 03:22 PM   #16
kurrupt_1
CrackBerry Addict

When you do a Backup/Restore from BB Desktop Manager what is the file name that restores the transactions for Ascendo Money?
Old 11-19-2006, 12:51 PM   #17
trpenner
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700G
Default Ascendo didn't work for me

Rather than duplicate my post here http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...-software.html

I will tell you that I LIKE the layout of this software for the blackberry. The problem that I have with it is that it does not auto-populate and does not come up on the screen you want. Please see the above posted question regarding my relentless quest for a good checkbook program including what I have tried. I would love to see Ascendo make some progress. It has great promise.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:25 PM   #18
pengrus

Model: 8800

One thing would be great to have is to view the TOTAL Combined Balance of different accounts. For example if you have 10 accounts include brokerage, mutual fund, banking account, etc, it shows the combined balance sort of Total Net Worth function. Otherwise, you will have to add them up one by one to know how much money you have...
Old 01-27-2007, 09:49 AM   #19
Dellplain

Model: 7290

I am a relatively new BB user... I'm still fumbling around my 7290, coming from a Treo 650, and being an overall Palm user since the '90s.

One application that I could not live without on the Treo was called Checkbook 3. It did exactly what I needed it to do. Ascendo Money is the closest thing that I could find, however, there are some basic functions that don't make sense to me.

For instance, when viewing Balance (All), the balance reflects all items, including those post-marked with a future date. To me, the Ascendo solution would normally be to run a filter for all transactions thru today's date, however the filter view does not show a balance total. So, there is no way for me to see a balance of all Paid and Unpaid transactions thru today's date. My ideal situation would be for Money to not take any future dated transactions into consideration when viewing Balance (All) until that date actually occurs. So, for instance, if today is Jan 27 and I enter in a transaction for Feb 12, that item does not get reflected in the total balance until Feb 12.

The other major feature that I miss from my Treo days is some sort of auto-populate function for the Items field. Having to constantly re-type such a field entry seems redundant for such an application.

I also don't necessarily see a reason for populating a time field for each transaction as I don't think banking operates at a minute-by-minute basis... but I could be very wrong.

If these features could be implemented, I know that my Ascendo Money experiences would be significantly improved.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:15 AM   #20
laughfactory

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Not impressed

I too come from a Treo background. Having heard so many good things about Blackberries, I've been surprised at the poor quality and general dearth of 3rd party applications. One area which I've been very disappointed in the available options is personal finance software (i.e., checkbook). There seem to be basically three options available. Ascendo supports my 8830, but is ugly (frankly), unintuitive, and offers an awkward layout and very few features. But that seems to be par for the course with this sort of software on the Blackberry. Wisespend wouldn't even run on my 8830, though I liked the look of it the best of the three I tried. None of them would I be willing to pay for. Which is sad since the application I swore by on my Treo 650 was free. *sigh* I'm almost desperate enough to just write my own app.