BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
perpetualjon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Can't delete videos from playlist after deleting them from memory card...

Please Login to Remove!

I'm running the latest OS (5.0.0.351). If I copy a video to the memory card via Windows Explorer, I'm stuck with it on my playlist forever now. I can re-connect the phone and delete the video file and disconnect but the video will still show up in the list of videos. If I attempt to delete the video from the BB, it asks me "are you sure...", I say yes, and then it just does nothing. It's like it can scan for new videos but not removed ones. Anyone else have this problem?

UPDATE: If I pull the media card from the back and re-insert it, the deleted files go away from the list but I'd rather not have to do this everytime!

Last edited by perpetualjon; 12-09-2009 at 03:57 PM..
Old 12-09-2009, 08:53 PM   #2
rm3

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Try taking the battery out and then put it back in and see if the videos are still on the phone.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:33 PM   #3
perpetualjon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well, I can get the deleted videos to vanish from the list just by pulling the memory card out and back again but I'd rather not have to do that every time I make changes to my list of videos...
Old 12-12-2009, 10:14 AM   #4
jcp007
Thumbs Must Hurt

Alt+Right Shift Delete+Del to do a battery pull.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:48 PM   #5
jimroe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

Try using any app on the Blackberry to delete the videos. The device creates a file - BBTuumbs.dat - that stores data about the files in many of the directories on the SD card. Deleting a file from a PC doesn't update that index which thinks the file is still there. Deleting the file with a Blackberry app updates the file.

And - don't make the mistake (like I did) of deleting BBThumbs.dat with the card in the phone - you'll corrupt the SD card. If you want or need to - remove the card and put it in a cadr reader and then you can delete all the BBThumbs.dat files you can find - they will be rebuilt correctly the next time you insert the card.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:56 PM   #6
perpetualjon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimroe View Post
Try using any app on the Blackberry to delete the videos. The device creates a file - BBTuumbs.dat - that stores data about the files in many of the directories on the SD card. Deleting a file from a PC doesn't update that index which thinks the file is still there. Deleting the file with a Blackberry app updates the file.

And - don't make the mistake (like I did) of deleting BBThumbs.dat with the card in the phone - you'll corrupt the SD card. If you want or need to - remove the card and put it in a cadr reader and then you can delete all the BBThumbs.dat files you can find - they will be rebuilt correctly the next time you insert the card.
Actually I'm glad you mentioned that because I was about to try deleting the thumbs.dat file next! This makes things a real pain because I can't just transfer files via the mass storage device mode for videos now. Mind you, I have always used this mode for transferring MP3's and it always just refreshes the list after I unplug...
Old 12-15-2009, 04:24 PM   #7
Yippee38
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

I've had this problem and I just deleted the BBthumbs.dat file. I allow storage mode when I connect, then open the BB "drive" and navigate to the videos directory. I've done it several times like this (still in the phone) with no problems.
Closed Thread