BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 05:46 PM   #1
blime84

Model: 8600
Carrier: cingular
Default WebMessenger Mobile IM NOW FREE!

Please Login to Remove!

Was just browsing webmessenger.com and saw that their service has now switched from pay to free for the consumer(non-enterprise) versions of the Mobile IM software. This is one of the best mobile IM offerings out there, the only thing holding it back was that it was on a subscription basis before($35 a year). Now that it is free, I think it is the best offering out there. It provides what IM+ and JiveTalk provide, except its free of charge. This change is very recent, as I have not even seen a press release on it yet.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:49 PM   #2
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

general info: be sure you agree to the Customer Service Agreement, it is only "free" up to a certain amount of use (which of course might be fine for some folks):

Quote:
YOU UNDERSTAND THAT THE FREE SERVICE IS SUBJECT TO WEBMESSENGER’S "FAIR USE" POLICY FOR FREE ACCOUNTS. YOU WILL BE IN VIOLATION OF THIS POLICY IF, WITHIN ANY TWENTY-FOUR HOUR PERIOD, YOU SEND AND/OR RECEIVE MORE THAN 500 INSTANT MESSAGES, EXCLUDING ALL ADVERTISING OR INFORMATIONAL MESSAGES SENT TO YOU DIRECTLY BY WEBMESSENGER. IN THE EVENT YOU ARE DEEMED TO HAVE VIOLATED THIS POLICY, WEBMESSENGER WILL ATTEMPT TO NOTIFY YOU OF THE VIOLATION VIA EMAIL AND OFFER TO UPGRADE YOU TO A PAID WEBMESSENGER ENTERPRISE PRODUCT THAT IS OFFERED TO HIGH USAGE CUSTOMERS. IF YOU ELECT NOT TO UPGRADE, YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE TERMINATED. ANY FAILURE BY WEBMESSENGER TO ENFORCE THIS POLICY WILL NOT PRECLUDE US FROM ENFORCING IT AT ANYTIME IN THE FUTURE, WHETHER FOR PAST OR CURRENT VIOLATIONS.
http://webmessenger.com/company/Cust..._Agreement.htm

Don't forget the fine print that says you will allow them to spam you with ads and things:

Quote:
b. WebMessenger may automatically terminate your Free account without notice if: (i) no instant messages are sent from or received in your account during any continuous thirty (30) day period (for purposes of this determination, advertisements and informational messages sent by WebMessenger are not considered instant messages received) or (ii) you or an intermediary blocks or filters any instant message sent by or on behalf of WebMessenger to your WebMessenger Mobile IM account(s) where you receive your instant messages.
Re-read (ii) closely, if you block ads coming from them to you they reserve the right to terminate your account. I have never used them and am saying nothing negative, just to be sure and understand why it's Free now and your usage limitations. It *sounds* a little less "free" and a little more "ad supported", or at least that's what I take away from reading this document.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:31 AM   #3
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post
general info: be sure you agree to the Customer Service Agreement, it is only "free" up to a certain amount of use (which of course might be fine for some folks):

"+customer_agreement+"

Don't forget the fine print that says you will allow them to spam you with ads and things:

Re-read (ii) closely, if you block ads coming from them to you they reserve the right to terminate your account. I have never used them and am saying nothing negative, just to be sure and understand why it's Free now and your usage limitations. It *sounds* a little less "free" and a little more "ad supported", or at least that's what I take away from reading this document.
good catch
Old 02-08-2008, 11:35 AM   #4
gibber9583
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
PIN: ?
Carrier: AT&T

I never much liked Webmessenger anyways...
Old 02-08-2008, 12:00 PM   #5
Redflea
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Yup...I went to look at it and noticed that as well. I have JiveTalk so not an issue for me, but folks signing up for this should be aware. Nice of you to post this, Riviepop.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:52 PM   #6
blime84

hmmm... didnt ever read the agreement... but I have been using the client, and at the moment there is currently no advertisments/spam on it(at least in the last 72 hours) As for the usage policy.... I don't know if I have ever sent 500 msgs in a 24 hour period, but I highly doubt they will cancel my account or try to send me an enterprise product if I like to chat... though this does make me want to inquire about that(as I cannot see them trying to sell an enterprise solution to a single person). Thanks for the info though!
Old 02-08-2008, 01:00 PM   #7
Dawg
No longer Registered.

for some reason I cant seem to stay logged in with them JT is a much better way to go I guess i just need to shell out the cash again.

FTR I never got any spam either.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:43 AM   #8
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

WM used to be best of class. If you are willing to have the adds I suspect this will be a good client for many.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:11 AM   #9
donniebyers
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

In my couple of days of use, i must say that the free version is totally ASS-tastic...

It looks and feels cheap and i have trouble logging in.

now I know why it's "free."
Old 02-14-2008, 07:54 PM   #10
blime84

is anyone getting advertisements using this client? I have not, but people keep saying "if you are willing to deal with the ads" or is this just something that may pop up in the future?

the one real issue I had with WM was getting connected initially since I don't use a BES... I discovered that my APN settings had to be set up for my carrier(after a email to support) This info is in their FAQ, but not sent in the registration email, which caused some major frustration the first 30-40 minutes of use(support answered me within an hour)... I suggested they send the info regarding setting up your APN settings in the registration email, perhaps they will implement it soon. If you are trying to use this product like me and are getting "cannot connect to server" just go to the FAQ and search the page for APN until you find a link that tells you how to set it up.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:16 PM   #11
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650

I will stick with JT.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 02-15-2008, 07:01 AM   #12
Dawg
No longer Registered.

i havent been able to log in for a week
Old 02-15-2008, 09:37 AM   #13
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530

Doh, I was going to try this out. I am looking for a messenger client that will do googletalk/aim/ (and maybe msn). Any recommendations? Jivetalk? this one?
Old 02-15-2008, 09:38 AM   #14
Dawg
No longer Registered.

jive talk is still the best
Old 02-15-2008, 09:41 AM   #15
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
jive talk is still the best
Thanks ;) I will try that out (hopefully they have a demo).
Old 02-15-2008, 09:45 AM   #16
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

FYI for anyone else:

BeeJive :: JiveTalk mobile messenger - instant messaging to go
Old 03-02-2008, 11:38 AM   #17
littlemin

Sorry I am a newbie but why is JT better?

I just installed WM and did have trouble logging in the couple of times but now its okay.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:05 PM   #18
twgolf

Model: 8703e
Carrier: verizon

If I send 500 messages in a day, I'm in trouble.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:40 AM   #19
olaola

Carrier: CMCC

anyone tried this IM software on OS 4.5?
i don't know why i can not open it.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:10 AM   #20
olaola

Carrier: CMCC

I have my APN setup, all other applications are working now, only webmessage still does not work, i got a error message "cannot connect to the server"

the server in the setting is login.webmessenger.com and the port is 9000, is this correct?
Closed Thread