Old 09-06-2010, 06:54 AM   #41
devnull
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: I747
Carrier: at&t

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesarmitage View Post
Not keen on this Desktop Manager - loses the ability to choose which email folders are forwarded to the BB..

Anyone know where I can get the 5.X version for a reinstall please
The very same link you got 6 from.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:53 AM   #42
CanuckBB

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sand View Post
I ordered a 64 bit computer yesterday and I will install 64 bit Office... I was going to use CompanionLink to help sync the BB as I have read it does work. Can you let us know why CompanionLink did not work?

Sandy
Hopefuly you are not using any 3rd party add-ons for Office, as most still don't work for 64-bit.

Aside from the ability to use massively large spreadsheets, there is no functional difference between 32 and 64 bit Office.

Remember that software companies will put the dev $ where it will have the most impact. 64-bit OS, while on the rise, is still fraction of the market. And most computers sold with Win7 64-bit have Office 2010 32-bit preloaded.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:03 PM   #43
The Sand
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9810
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks for your advice. In regard to 64 bit Office I have checked and am ready to go with what I use xxx8211; the only question is RIM, and I have another computer than can sync if I need to wait until next year for RIM to deliver the 64 bit option. But I am keeping my fingers crossed that CompanionLink will get it done for me.

You see I ordered the most monstrous tech spec slaying computer Alienware can deliver to my door. I am tall, but there is xxx8220;uncertaintyxxx8221; as to whether I can physically handle the weight of this mind blowing machine (it's a laptop.) It is totally bad azz!

There wonxxx8217;t be one thing on this forward marching tech destroyer that will run 32 bit.

Thank you for your input though... one should make sure they take into consideration what you have stated. Your advice is always welcome

Sandy

Last edited by The Sand; 09-06-2010 at 03:13 PM..
Old 09-06-2010, 07:22 PM   #44
CanuckBB

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

Good luck Sandy.

I'm still somewhat befuddled as to why MS chose to not allow 32-bit apps to hook into Office 64 bit. I get the '"it's the future", "it's the greatest", but it's still a transition app. I can see Office 2012 not having the feature, but 2010 should, to ease the transition to 64 bit.

Oh well.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:57 PM   #45
The Sand

I agree… too bad you aren’t in charge. Heaven forbid MS should make the transition easier…

Thanks for the well wishes on the new system. I am pretty darn excited about it!

Sandy
Old 09-08-2010, 11:01 AM   #46
MarvinK
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700C
Carrier: Cingular

Yes, I noticed the lack of features related to mail (selecting folders to sync wireless, encryption, etc.) in BlackBerry Desktop 6... it looks pretty, but is a step backwards in business functionality.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:59 PM   #47
MaxBuck

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokie123 View Post
Some other forums noted problems installing Desktop 6.0 if you did not install 5.0 beforehand.

I ended up using the check for updates feature from Desktop 5 (under the Help menu), which promptly found version 6.0 and took care of all the configuration.

Everything went pretty painlessly except for having to re-establish my Bluetooth connection (ended up deleting the old connection to my device, rebooted the PC, added device back through Windows, then Desktop 6 found the Bluetooth connection).

I'm running XP SP3 and sync my data to Outlook 2007 (BIS).
I have now been attempting for a week to either uninstall Desktop 5.0.1 and/or install 6.0, without success.

Error message when trying to uninstall 5.0.1: "The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it."

Error message when trying to install 6.0: "Error 1714. The older version of BlackBerry Desktop software 6.0 cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group."

I've searched multiple forums in my attempt to resolve the problem, being directed to Microsoft products that no longer exist and to performing registry edits that do not solve the problem. I'm about ready to dump this thing (Tour 9630) and move to an Android. What a mess.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:41 AM   #48
PressureDrop

Model: dr01d
Carrier: Verizon (LTE!)

I downloaded v6 last week, finally got a chance to install it this morning - LOVE it so far.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:03 PM   #49
Yippee38
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

[QUOTE=Andi;1640823Can't find add-in sync... not sure about that but I have a high end user who will flip out if he can't sync data vault - hope he doesn't update to the new DM[/QUOTE]

FWIW, I cannot get DataVault to sync using this software. It shows up as an options, but when I tell the software to Sync, it doesn't sync DataVault.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:36 PM   #50
WayneM

Model: 9650
Default DM 5 & 6. . .still fail on Internet connect. . .

Can find no place to put this query and related thread was closed without resolving.

I just took delivery of a 9330. Been off with Palm Treo (loved it) and then HTC Flip due to business requirements. Decided to try BB/Rim again since those worked well for me (8700C). My main concern is that I need to keep my phone in sync with my Outlook 2007 info. 2600+ contact reference database, detailed calendar, and modest Notes and Task list.

I am running into the same killer issue with installing DM (5 then 6) and the report that DM can't see the Internet. (I als see that even when people have done a workaround, it comes back to haunt them next time they update DM!.)

FYI: have done all the following:

Done following on two machines. One XP Pro SP3, one XP Home SP3.
Complete uninstalls of DM and even ActiveSync.
Registry scrub as per KB articles to get rid on any RIM or PUMA entries.
TOTAL disablement of AntiVirus, antispam, etc.
TOTAL disablement of Firewall.
Internet is via DSL, direct wire on one mach8ine, WiFi on another.
USB connection DIRECT to REAR port connector. (Not front or thru HUB.)
Change to add Default port IP address and a specific port.
Registry hack to change "0" to "1" or whatever, but the entry mentioned does NOT exist in the Registry. Nothing close!

I noticed that the thread where this was fully documented, and left unresolved, was closed.

I'm not thrilled about dumping the two day old phone, but Best Buy is suggesting it considering RIM support. Amazing to think that Android could trump RIM just becasue of some sort of flawed, four-year-old, error that RIM cannot fix!

Other option is Win Mobile. I thought I'd had enough of that, but RIM software capabilities even look poor in comparicson to Win 6.5 . I would have never thought that would come to pass.

I've done this in an interative manner for the past two days and spent over ten hours. High hopes each time, then no success.

I'd like to see a reliable fix, but the outlook (sorry for pun) is dim. . .rhymes with RIM.

Wayne
Old 11-07-2010, 12:40 AM   #51
The Sand

So sorry... what a bummer to put in so much work and yet still no joy. Trust me, been there and done that. I would suggest calling RIM tech support. You never know, they may be able to suggest something.

I do understand that not syncing with Outlook is a total deal breaker. I think the current smartphone players underestimate the value of the software that syncs the phone. I am purchasing Windows Phone 7 Monday (the supposed release date.) I am hoping for that perfect Outlook sync... have no idea how well it will go - from my own personal experience - there is something wrong with every smartphone out there (which includes their syncing software.)

Which keeps me searching for "my" version the perfect Smartphone. Who knows, maybe Monday will be my day.

But do try calling RIM...

Good luck!
Sandy
Old 11-07-2010, 01:48 PM   #52
The Sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneM View Post
Can find no place to put this query and related thread was closed without resolving.

I just took delivery of a 9330. Been off with Palm Treo (loved it) and then HTC Flip due to business requirements. Decided to try BB/Rim again since those worked well for me (8700C). My main concern is that I need to keep my phone in sync with my Outlook 2007 info. 2600+ contact reference database, detailed calendar, and modest Notes and Task list.

I am running into the same killer issue with installing DM (5 then 6) and the report that DM can't see the Internet. (I als see that even when people have done a workaround, it comes back to haunt them next time they update DM!.)

FYI: have done all the following:

Done following on two machines. One XP Pro SP3, one XP Home SP3.
Complete uninstalls of DM and even ActiveSync.
Registry scrub as per KB articles to get rid on any RIM or PUMA entries.
TOTAL disablement of AntiVirus, antispam, etc.
TOTAL disablement of Firewall.
Internet is via DSL, direct wire on one mach8ine, WiFi on another.
USB connection DIRECT to REAR port connector. (Not front or thru HUB.)
Change to add Default port IP address and a specific port.
Registry hack to change "0" to "1" or whatever, but the entry mentioned does NOT exist in the Registry. Nothing close!

I noticed that the thread where this was fully documented, and left unresolved, was closed.

I'm not thrilled about dumping the two day old phone, but Best Buy is suggesting it considering RIM support. Amazing to think that Android could trump RIM just becasue of some sort of flawed, four-year-old, error that RIM cannot fix!

Other option is Win Mobile. I thought I'd had enough of that, but RIM software capabilities even look poor in comparicson to Win 6.5 . I would have never thought that would come to pass.

I've done this in an interative manner for the past two days and spent over ten hours. High hopes each time, then no success.

I'd like to see a reliable fix, but the outlook (sorry for pun) is dim. . .rhymes with RIM.

Wayne
One thing that worked for me in the place you are in with software not working correctly, is to do an image backup using Acronis or Norton Ghost and then reinstall your operating system, by using the built in recovery or Windows DVD. The first thing you do after the reinstall (after connecting to the internet of course) is download and install the problematic software - in your case the Desktop Manager. If it runs (and usually it will) then you set up the system again. If it doesn't, you simply restore back the image you made with Acronis/Norton Ghost. Usually a reinstall will fix it. Of course that is quite a bit of work... but if the software means a lot to you it may be worth it.

Just passing along what has worked in the past for me...

Again, good luck!
Sandy

p.s or course backup your data first - so you can restore that back if you do decide a reinstall is the way to go...

Last edited by The Sand; 11-07-2010 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: Added p.s.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:54 AM   #53
ofelas

Model: 9550
Carrier: VZW
Default Re: Desktop Manager 6.0 (42) released

How does one remove an old device from the "select device" dropdown list in DM 6?
Thx!
Old 12-01-2010, 08:49 PM   #54
urinclined

Model: 9650

I'm getting conflicting information. Are you saying the DM 6.0 will allow a Windows 7 64bit/Outlook 2010 64 bit to sync with the 9650?
Old 12-01-2010, 11:18 PM   #55
The Sand

RIM said they will deliver 64 bit Outlook 2010 sync capability some time next year. But you can use CompanionLink to get it done. I have not tried it though... but others have.

Sync calendar and contacts on Android, iPhone, iPad, BlackBerry - CompanionLink

Sandy
Old 12-12-2010, 06:11 PM   #56
computerperson

Model: 8830
Carrier: mts

Running Windows 7 64-bit & BDM 6 & CompanonLink (BB on enterprse exchange server) & that works fine.

However BDM6 will not load applications list from BB.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:24 AM   #57
ress

Model: 8520
Carrier: administrator

thx for share masta
Old 04-25-2011, 10:05 AM   #58
phrider

Model: 9812
PIN: 6.02214179E23
Carrier: TMO US

Now that Desktop Software v6.0.2 B43 is out (as of 4/14/2011), does anyone know if security certificate sync has been (finally) added?

Any other key practical improvements?
Old 07-16-2011, 05:54 PM   #59
cjsmailing
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9550
Carrier: Unlocked and have a SIM card that registers on the t-Mobile network

I am new at all this and want to know how you decide which Dektop Manager version you decide to download?. I saw 5.0, 5.01(Windows OS), and now 6.0 listed here. How do I know?

I have a Blackberry Storm 2 v5.0.0713
Old 07-17-2011, 08:20 PM   #60
The Sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrider View Post
Now that Desktop Software v6.0.2 B43 is out (as of 4/14/2011), does anyone know if security certificate sync has been (finally) added?

Any other key practical improvements?

I would also like to know this... I am still using a Bold 9000 OS 5.0 so I can have SMIME. I can upgrade, and would like to, but have no idea how to get the certs onto BB OS 6.0 or the new BB OS 7.0 that is coming. Emailing the certs onto the BB may work, but I have heard of nobody that has done so successfully...

It would be nice to know if RIM is going to keep supporting SMIME going forward.

Sandy