Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 09:19 AM   #1
chetan6

Model: 7290
Carrier: ATT
Default Backup File Security

Please Login to Remove!

Hello -
I regularly take backup of my blackberry. I secure my Blackberry with a password also. My question is regarding the security of the backup file.

When I take a backup do I need to remember the password also? Let's say I took a backup a month ago and after that I changed my blackberry password. And for reasons unknown I forgot the password which I had set when I took the backup. In the event of failure when I try to restore it from that backup will it ask me for a password? If yes, which one? If not - then is it not a security breach considering the fact that the backup CD might be stolen and somebody else can load my personal data on their Blackberry.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks and Have a Great Day.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:52 AM   #2
talipse
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700
Carrier: CIngular

When I take a backup do I need to remember the password also?

No, you are not prompted for an old password when you are reloading from a previous backup. It will only prompt you for your current password on your BB.

If not - then is it not a security breach considering the fact that the backup CD might be stolen and somebody else can load my personal data on their Blackberry.

Some companies do consider this a security breach, and thus push down the appropriate IT policy to prevent users from running a Desktop Backup of their handheld.

Nice try, but there are no security breaches in the BlackBerry Solution, that can not be eliminated.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:52 PM   #3
chetan6

Model: 7290
Carrier: ATT

I do not have a company provided blackberry. The thing is you can connect your blackberry to the synchronization software and if you have my CD which has a backed up file from my blackberry you can easily restore it and thus be able to import all my data on your handheld correct? I consider this as a security breach or maybe I am missing something here.

Your thoughts?
Old 11-21-2006, 12:04 AM   #4
patrickh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: T-mo

If your blackberry is password protected, no one would be able to backup or sync your blackberry without entering the password.

Once your data is backed up to a file, it is up to you to protect that file. You can encrypt it with any tool available for free on the internet.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:09 AM   #5
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan6
I do not have a company provided blackberry. The thing is you can connect your blackberry to the synchronization software and if you have my CD which has a backed up file from my blackberry you can easily restore it and thus be able to import all my data on your handheld correct? I consider this as a security breach or maybe I am missing something here.

Your thoughts?
My thoughts, don't keep the BB and the backup CD together. Secure the backup CD and stop worrying.

I back up my laptop to CD. It has the same risk.
Closed Thread