Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
LindaGreen

Model: Z10
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange
Default Brand new Z10 stuck on initial software update

Please Login to Remove!

I have just bought 2 Blackberry Z10's - 1 for me, 1 for hubby - got them today. Had to buy 2 new SIM cards as the previous phones were Curve 8900's and the SIM card is too large for the Z10 so bought 2 new Micro SIM cards and installed them into phone. Contacted carrier to get Pay-As-You-Go information transferred across to new SIMS and then turned phones on.

Initial start-up went fine but they are both now stuck on software updates and have been for the past 5 hours!

Have tried all the tricks, take battery and SIM out, wait for 5 minutes, put SIM and battery back in and started phone up again but still stuck on the same update screen and can't do anything else.

Have spoken with carrier - Orange/EE - who said that it does take a few hours but 5 hours is much more than a few hours! I have seen that there have been lots of people with a similar problem but the solutions they have been given seem to work - doesn't work for me.

The phones are fully charged so it's not a low battery. Have tried connecting through Blackberry Link on desktop but it won't recognise the phones since the new phones are not associated with our Blackberry ID's - it still only recognises the old phones - also it can't connect to the new phones because they are still updating software.

Seem to be stuck in the proverbial loop - very frustrating

Have we made a big mistake as we are now without mobiles phones since the old SIMS have been deactivated and the new ones aren't working

Can anyone assure me that it will eventually complete the update?
Old 07-11-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: Brand new Z10 stuck on initial software update

On the update screen - did it say it is trying to do an update or is it asking to swipe left?
Has it asked you to sign in to a WiFi network?
Old 07-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
Arcaneman

Model: 9810
Carrier: At&t

Okay so my suggestion would be to allow link to backup phone first. It should do this first automatically.If your software is still thinking of the old phone info and it doesn't recognize the addition of the Z10 then you need to treat this as a fresh install. I think you shouldn't need to log into your blackberry account info until the Link officially finishes with the backup of the Z10. Another tip if your phone turn on you could always update your software by going into settings and click on Software updates and have it search for one. If the device software says its up to date then go ahead and log into blackberry world as it comes preloaded on the BB10 phones. Follow the prompts.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcaneman View Post
Okay so my suggestion would be to allow link to backup phone first. It should do this first automatically.If your software is still thinking of the old phone info and it doesn't recognize the addition of the Z10 then you need to treat this as a fresh install. I think you shouldn't need to log into your blackberry account info until the Link officially finishes with the backup of the Z10. Another tip if your phone turn on you could always update your software by going into settings and click on Software updates and have it search for one. If the device software says its up to date then go ahead and log into blackberry world as it comes preloaded on the BB10 phones. Follow the prompts.
Did you read their post? Their Z10s are stuck on updating software and are not recognized by Link.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:14 AM   #5
LindaGreen

Okay, thanks for the suggestions everyone but it as I mentioned, I have tried Blackberry Link, but that won't connect to the phone because it is trying to update the software on the phone. I have no control over the phone because all I can access is the "Checking for Updates" dialogue with the circle going round and round.

When we first put the SIM and batteries in we went through the process of connecting to our WiFi - putting in the password etc - so it is connecting to that okay. We left them updating last night and this morning the screen had changed to "tap to continue" which we did and it then said it was checking for regional updates and has now gone back into the "Checking for Updates" scenario again which so far has been running for nearly an hour and is going nowhere. Looks like this is going to take another 8 hours or so and still we are completely without mobile phones

Very frustrating and I am on the verge of ringing Orange and telling them to just re-activate my old SIM in my Curve 8900 and trying to sell these new phones because right now they are now good to us whatsoever
Old 07-12-2013, 06:45 AM   #6
ZombieBerry
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND

Hello Linda,

If you can turn off the device (or pull the battery), and have a somewhat fast internet connection, you can download this file 10.1.0.4543 once it has been downloaded, you can unzip it (using some type of archiving software (WINrar, 7zip, etc), you can then load this OS onto your device)

Once the file has been extracted, and with your device off, you can double click the install file and then connect your device to your computer (with the device still off or the battery out)

Once you have clicked on the install file, you should see a window open up with the phrase "Connecting to Bootrom", then you can place the battery in your device or turn it on. It should load the OS very quickly (5 - 10 minutes), your device will reboot and you should be presented with the initial setup again. That may fix your device trying to download some update (I am not sure which screen your device is stuck at, but if the above doesn't work, I would ring Orange and either exchange the device (last resort?) or if you are able, bring it into an Orange retailer.

Bootrom loader screen should look like this...

Last edited by ZombieBerry; 07-12-2013 at 06:48 AM..
Old 07-13-2013, 04:30 AM   #7
LindaGreen

Thanks for this - if all else fails I will give this a go, however there is light at the end of the tunnel as one of the phones has now completed the updates and is fully functional - sadly it's my husband's phone, not mine!

He did speak to a guy in a phone shop who said that the updates do take forever but once they are done the phone will not disappoint.

I had a slight hiccup with mine in that the battery drained in the middle of the update process so I think it went back to the beginning of the download. Hopefully it will be done some time today.

Thanks for all the help and advice everyone
Old 07-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #8
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

oh - during set up I make sure that the BB is plugged in and connected to a WiFi network...
Old 07-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #9
tsac
BlackBerry God

PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Orange does offer a blackberry data plan on the "pay as you go" plans but has limits and some restrictions indicated on their web site. The big issue is the BB plan is not automaticaly added to the blackberry phones. It might be worth calling the carrier and make sure you have a data plan that works on the blackberry not a generic plan
Old 07-13-2013, 09:34 AM   #10
ZombieBerry
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND

Z10s don't use BIS. Why would they need a specific plan? Isn't set up done after connecting to the network?
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 07-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #11
tsac
BlackBerry God

PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Yes they do not use BIS but maybe the OP does not have a plan that allows this type of service. Some carriers consider social data as a basic plan and want different type plans for other types of service. Orange does indicate there are limits on their web site so calling the carrier may help. Only a thought
Old 07-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #12
LindaGreen

No I have a dataplan on my Orange account plus the download was coming over WiFi so that wasn't the problem.

The problem was actually caused by the phone getting stuck in a loop because we eventually turned the WiFi off and then suddenly the phone had completed its updates so if we had turned the WiFi off sooner it would have been finished sooner - basically it just got stuck.

Everything is fine now - thank you all very much
Old 09-02-2013, 12:08 AM   #13
arunkraman

Carrier: t-Mobile

Had the same problem with the phone being stuck on the Software Update screen. Tried everything and no luck - finally after browsing through multiple solutions across different threads (not my doing !),
- turned off my phone by keeping the power button pressed for 10 secs (you can also remove the battery)
- installed BlackBerry Link, updated it to the latest version,
- went to the settings page in the link software
- inserted the battery in the phone with the USB cable connected to the computer (if battery is inserted, just connect the USB)
- the software automatically prompted me with the device name of my z10
- clicked on restore factory defaults
- software suggested that there is an updated version, so decided to download it via the computer than the phone
- all this while the phone is connected
- when I started the download, it suddenly said phone is disconnected, but I didn't do anything
- then the software started to download and the phone was blank
- finally the download and install was complete and my phone was usable
Closed Thread