BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 12:44 AM   #1
TriggerHappy

Model: 7290
Exclamation 7290 on T-Mobile, issues with any TCP app

Please Login to Remove!

I just got a new 7290 from T-mobile, to replace my old Sidekick 2. I'm using the same T-mobile account, but have removed the Sidekick Data plan and added the Blackberry Unlimited Data with BES plan, since I want the extra email sync functionality and 'net reliability. Problem is, not one single 3rd party app works. I've tried Verichat, IM+, BBWeather, jmIRC, and a few others I've since removed that I don't even remember the name of. I do have uppercase GPRS, my web browser works fine, and my email works fine.

I've spoken with three different T-mobile reps, all say that my account has all the correct WAP settings, including wap.voicestream.net, or whatever's listed in the sticky (yes, I've read and followed all the FAQ's and stickies ;)). I've deleted all my service books and had them resent from the My T-Mobile page, and manually by a T-mobile rep.

BES email works. At least I think it does, since I can send myself something and it automatically attaches the privacy sig that my exchange server puts on every email. The redirector running on my work PC also automatically forwards emails to my BB if it matches my filter settings.

Every TCP/Internet program gives me a timeout error. I've tried enabling and disabling MDS when possible, with no change. I've power cycled the Blackberry, I've reloaded the device software.

Some specific error messages/states :

IM+ 3.11 : Automatic configuration runs for over an hour, no results. If I force it to stop, it says it failed to detect network settings.
BBWeather : "Error : Unable to open connection."
jmIRC using the same settings as mIRC on my home PC : "Error : Unable to open connection."

T-mobile's native IM program works fine, but it doesn't seem to support more than one IM network being logged in at once, so that won't do at all.

Despite my inability to run any of the dozen or so 3rd party apps I've tried, every T-Mobile rep I've spoken to has told me to call support for the apps in question. I find it hard to believe that it's 12 different apps, rather than the way my (recently switched from a different data device) T-mobile account is setup.

I've spent a good 10 hours or so over the last couple days searching this site, howardforums, and google for answers, with no luck so far. Any other things I can check, or do on my end? I have a fair bit of experience with PC networking, but this Blackberry/Cell stuff is new to me. Seems like it shouldn't be this hard, it's kinda just setting up the right gateway (wap.voicestream.net) and making sure the gateway knows to let me through (which T-mo says it is), right? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by TriggerHappy; 01-19-2006 at 12:49 AM..
Old 01-19-2006, 02:52 PM   #2
tomchuk

You're creeping me out. I'm also in Brooklyn, also just got rid of my sidekick II for a 7290, and am experiencing all the same problems.

I've tried everything listed in all the FAQs for TCP setting - wap.voidestream.com with and without user/pass. The only difference is that with user/pass I get "unable to open connection"; without user/pass I get "unable to create tunnel" or some such thing. I can't get IM+, MidpSSH, BBToday or BBWeather to work at all.

I'm going to play around a little more and then give T-Mo a call. I'll let you know if I make any progress.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:34 PM   #3
Remnant

I got my 7290 not too long ago with T-Mobile and it was a big headache, but I got it working! The wap.voicestream.com is T-Zones. The reason why the 3rd party apps aren't working for you is because you don't have T-Zones activated on your account. Call 611 on your phone and ask for the Blackberry support.. Tell them T-Zones isn't working on your phone. Once T-Zones is enabled, then wap.voicestream.com address starts working automatically, but give it 24 hours after you put in the request. Don't bother mentioning wap.voicestream.com, you'll just waste your time.

T-zones is free and is included with all T-mobile accounts, but for my BB it wasn't working til I called in.

Last edited by Remnant; 01-19-2006 at 05:36 PM..
Old 01-19-2006, 07:36 PM   #4
tomchuk

Ugh, I'm so tired of dealing with 1st tier support. I've tried calling and telling them my 3rd party applications aren't working, I've tried telling them t-zones isn't working, I've tried asking them about TCP settings and APN names. Every time it's: "sorry sir your blackberry comes with unlimited internet and email, I can't do anything else for you."

Maybe this is just something you have to wait for? I'll give it a few days and then try to get in touch with someone at t-mobile who knows what they're talking about.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:39 AM   #5
tomchuk

Well, somehow it's working. I enabled the firewall just for kicks, and all of a sudden, bbToday is requesting stock quotes, I allow and now everything from MidpSSH to IM+ is working fine.

I think the firewall thing was just a bit of a fluke, it seems it's just a matter of patience.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:00 PM   #6
TriggerHappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remnant
I got my 7290 not too long ago with T-Mobile and it was a big headache, but I got it working! The wap.voicestream.com is T-Zones. The reason why the 3rd party apps aren't working for you is because you don't have T-Zones activated on your account. Call 611 on your phone and ask for the Blackberry support.. Tell them T-Zones isn't working on your phone. Once T-Zones is enabled, then wap.voicestream.com address starts working automatically, but give it 24 hours after you put in the request. Don't bother mentioning wap.voicestream.com, you'll just waste your time.

T-zones is free and is included with all T-mobile accounts, but for my BB it wasn't working til I called in.
Betcha that's it. T-Zones has to be off for the sidekick, and I didn't mention it when I called. None of the people I talked to seemed to know half as much as I learned from reading the FAQ's here.

I'll confirm this fix if it works, and PM the FAQ folks to see if it's worth adding.
Closed Thread