Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 06:01 PM   #1
Steve
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint
Default "Does not contain" filter

Please Login to Remove!

I'm on a BWC/BIS (web client), ATTW/Cingular.

I use a username@mydomain.com account that is forwarded to my username@mycingular.blackberry.com address and I POP the username@myPOP3domain.com address.

I'm trying to reduce the amount of spam that is sent to my BB. Nearly all are a result of the Sober.Y worm where it spoofs "To" and "From" addy's.

Has anyone been able to get "Does not contain" filter to work? This filter should allow anything that is correctly addressed to three addresses, which would clean up a lot! When I set up the following, absolutely nothing is forwarded to the handheld. When I realized it, I deleted the filter. But, now I have no way to manually push the messages that sit in the webclient's Inbox, but that's entirely a different issue.

The filter settings I'm trying are:

When a new message has the following conditions:

If [any] of these conditions are true:

...[Sent To/Cc] [does not contain] [username@mydomain.com]
...[Sent To/Cc] [does not contain] [username@myPOP3domain.com]
...[Sent To/Cc] [does not contain] [username@mycingluar.blackberry.com]

Then do the following with the message:

BlackBerry Internet Service
...Move to folder [Inbox]

Handheld
...[ ] Forward to handheld
......[ ] Header only
......[ ] Level 1 notification

...[x] Do not forward messages to handheld

My default filter is:

Do the following with the message when no filters apply:

Handheld
...[x] Forward to handheld
......[ ] Header only
......[x] Level 1 notification

...[ ] Do not forward messages to handheld

I don't give out username@mycingluar.blackberry.com and my username@mydomain.com is not a pre-filtered g-mail or other account. I do have two other filters for moving incoming messages to specific folders and those work well.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 11-27-2005, 06:07 PM   #2
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

I never used the filters at the providers bb account, they s*uck big time, I have all my e-mails forward to the BB and use the Gmail to forward to the BB. This accomplishes two things, first the spam filters at Gmail are super i went from over 200 spams a day to about maybe 3 or 4 that get through, second and most important, using the gmail both as the receiving end of all my e-mails and the return address for my BB, it keeps my BB e-mail away from the harvesters, this controlling the traffic extremely efficiently.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 11-27-2005, 08:19 PM   #3
ventmore

I used to use T-Mobiles filters very effectively. Your problem is that it needs to read 'If [all] of these conditions are true'. The way you have it set up, each email must be addressed to all three of your adresses to make it through to the handset.

HTH
Ventmore
Old 11-27-2005, 11:41 PM   #4
Steve

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventmore
I used to use T-Mobiles filters very effectively. Your problem is that it needs to read 'If [all] of these conditions are true'. The way you have it set up, each email must be addressed to all three of your adresses to make it through to the handset.

HTH
Ventmore
I read it as "any" of the three addresses below, as opposed to "all" three. I'll try it that way as well as each individually.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 11-28-2005, 05:31 AM   #5
ventmore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
I read it as "any" of the three addresses below, as opposed to "all" three. I'll try it that way as well as each individually.

Thanks,
Steve
If you write the rule as [any], then for instance, if you get an email sent to you're 'username@mydomain.com' address, then it will never make it to the handset, because even though it has that address in the 'to/cc' field, when the rule tests the second address, 'username@myPOP3domain.com' the test will be true (as it doesn't contain it), and it will not send the email to you're handheld.

As a test...leave the rule as it is, and send yourself an email with all 3 of your email addresses in the to/cc field. You should then receive 3 copies of that email, as all 3 addresses will receive it, and all three of the conditions in the rule will be false.

Cheers
Ventmore
Old 01-08-2006, 03:56 PM   #6
mikester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Rogers

I have just been doing the same exercize and I thought that I finally figured it out but something is still wrong. I did a search and found this thread.
I set up the filters just like Steve at first. It didn't work and when I finaly found a tech support guy who seemed to know how this works he also told me to change the first line to say "all". He also suggested that I set up a Spam folder so that when an email does not meet the requirements of the filters it sends it to the spam folder and not to the handheld. This way I can catch errors.
It seemed to work well when we did tests but then I saw that I wasn't getting the messages from Blackberry Forum. It was sending it to the spam folder even though it was addressed to the proper email address.
The only thing that I did diferent than Steve is that I not only had the 3 lines with the email addresses I also had 3 more lines containig first & last name ,First name ,and The Family's Name
I think that is what is giving me the problem. When I send a test from the BB or a computer that has me in the address book it automaticaly adds my name to the Send To along with the email address. When I get mail from theB
BB Forum it just has my email address in the Send To. Maybe I should try removing the last 3 line in the filter.
Any suugestions would be welcome. I really don't want to start with Gmail and more accounts.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:01 PM   #7
ventmore

Remove the last three lines mate, and just check it against the email addresses...should work a treat
Old 01-08-2006, 04:03 PM   #8
mikester
Thumbs Must Hurt

I am going to try that right now. Let you know if it's good. Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:08 PM   #9
ventmore

No probs mate...are the other 3 lines in a separate filter?
Old 01-08-2006, 04:17 PM   #10
mikester
Thumbs Must Hurt

One filter had 4 lines and the second fiter had 2 lines
Old 01-08-2006, 04:18 PM   #11
mikester
Thumbs Must Hurt

How do I link this thread onto another thread?
Old 01-08-2006, 04:20 PM   #12
ventmore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikester
One filter had 4 lines and the second fiter had 2 lines
That'll be your prob then mate. The filters will not work 'together' as such. They will hit the first filter, and come through fine...when they hit the second one, it is only looking for the 2 names, and when it doesn't find either one, it dumps the message to the spam folder.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:31 PM   #13
ventmore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikester
How do I link this thread onto another thread?
Copy the address out of the address bar, and paste it into the other thread...I assume that's what you mean
Old 01-08-2006, 04:32 PM   #14
mikester
Thumbs Must Hurt

So now I deleted the second filter and the one fiter has three lines. Is that ok and also do you know if an email arrives on ones desktop Outlook but is not opened will it still be sent to the handhead.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:34 PM   #15
ventmore

If outlook collects the email from your email server before RIMs server does, then you will never receive it on your handheld, unless you have your Outlook set to leave mail on the server.

Hope that makes sense
Ventmore
Old 01-08-2006, 04:37 PM   #16
mikester
Thumbs Must Hurt

That makes sense. So if I want to do a test I should close Outlook on my desktop.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:38 PM   #17
ventmore

Yes, definitely
Old 01-08-2006, 04:53 PM   #18
mikester
Thumbs Must Hurt

That's it mate, it works fine now. Thanks again for your help. I really would like to link this thread to a thread on BB General Discussions. How would I do that.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:55 PM   #19
ventmore

No problem at all mate

You should be able to 'copy' the URL from the address bar, and then 'paste' it into the other thread.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:57 PM   #20
mikester
Thumbs Must Hurt

I knew it would be as simple as that. Thanks
Closed Thread