Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 05:20 PM   #1
albiesf
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon
Default Verizon Passed on the iPhone

Please Login to Remove!

I don't know if anyone has seen this USA Today article, but Verizon had dibs on the iPhone...and passed! Another one for the VZW circular file...

Verizon rejected Apple iPhone deal - USATODAY.com

"There's a time for compromise...it's called later".
Old 01-29-2007, 11:39 PM   #2
apple85
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Tour

I know I read the today and was FURIOUS! This is why when my contract expires I'm leaving Verizon. I'm done with out dated crippled phones. Is it so much that Apple asked to control where the devices were sold and to get a portion of the monthly costs? Obviously to Cingular it wasn't!
Old 02-05-2007, 02:43 PM   #3
meinp5
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Storm

Apple was probably demanding a price that Verizon wasn't going to pay. Either that or the margins weren't good enough on the resale. I don't blame them really, the iPhone isn't really that great anyway(just my opinion).
Old 02-06-2007, 02:58 PM   #4
archer6
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by meinp5
Apple was probably demanding a price that Verizon wasn't going to pay. Either that or the margins weren't good enough on the resale. I don't blame them really, the iPhone isn't really that great anyway(just my opinion).
I believe your right.

Now that the smoke has cleared from the MacWorld Tent there seems to be a Fire-Storm of negative opinions on the web. Financial analysts, high tech professionals and marketing professionals all seem to be questioning all aspects of the i-Phone viability.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:02 PM   #5
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700G

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer6
Now that the smoke has cleared from the MacWorld Tent there seems to be a Fire-Storm of negative opinions on the web.
You really shouldn't play with matches.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:53 PM   #6
meinp5
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Storm

Quote:
I believe your right.

Now that the smoke has cleared from the MacWorld Tent there seems to be a Fire-Storm of negative opinions on the web. Financial analysts, high tech professionals and marketing professionals all seem to be questioning all aspects of the i-Phone viability.
Exactly...200 some new inventions...200 new ways to break.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:27 PM   #7
archer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by meinp5
Exactly...200 some new inventions...200 new ways to break.
Precisely !

200 Laughs for those of us that refuse to buy into the Hype!
Old 02-09-2007, 10:45 PM   #8
albiesf
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default New Samsung Phone!

Definitely a lot of negative reviews on the iPhone...seems everyone was caught up in the buzz. On that note, Samsung will being come out with a new phone next week that may be more practical than the iPhone. Yes, it has a slide out keyboard but it will have a touchscreen as well.

http://www.redherring.com/Article.as...Communications

Old 02-10-2007, 01:15 AM   #9
archer6

Default i-Phone Now Obsolete

Apple i-Phone...
Too Little Too Late

"On Thursday, Samsung announced its Ultra Smart F700 mobile phone, bearing a likeness to Apple’s upcoming iPhone due out in June. Electronics giant Samsung plans to show off the new phone at the 3GSM telecommunications conference in Barcelona next week."

This sounds like a serious threat to Apple.

Then when one takes into consideration that the i-Phone is still far from ready, the MacWorld show may be remembered as nothing more than a blip on the radar screen of failed attempts.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:27 AM   #10
albiesf
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Apple i-Phone...
Too Little Too Late

"On Thursday, Samsung announced its Ultra Smart F700 mobile phone, bearing a likeness to Apple’s upcoming iPhone due out in June. Electronics giant Samsung plans to show off the new phone at the 3GSM telecommunications conference in Barcelona next week."

This sounds like a serious threat to Apple.

Then when one takes into consideration that the i-Phone is still far from ready, the MacWorld show may be remembered as nothing more than a blip on the radar screen of failed attempts.
Hey archer6, totally agree with you. The Samsung phone looks pretty sweet and probably a better deal than the iPhone which for now is still in the vapor stage

Old 02-10-2007, 10:13 PM   #11
SanFrancisco

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Verizon passing on the iPhone was just one of a big box of evidence out there that the iPhone is all hype and will be a dud. I just don't think the product is such a surefire hit that Verizon would agree to any terms Apple might demand.

Some BBF members labeled our negative comments about the iPhone as lies, unfounded speculation, stupidity, diatribe, [and some other highfalutin jabs or insults].

Although I do not know any of the details, I suspect Verizon looked at the iPhone in detail and determined it was not going to be a hit. I am sure they just did not flippantly pass on the opportunity.

And it seems to me that Apple then had to "beg" Cingular to take it. Cingular said OK, but got ridiculous concessions from Apple, such as pricing, contract term, etc. [most of which will change as the units do not fly off the shelf]. I think any exclusive terms that Cingular obtained were entered into to account for the roller coaster ride the phone may take the first few years.

And as I said in the Pearl section, with so much criticism about the iPhone, as compared to praise, I don't think that bodes well for sales in June. In a sense the iPhone will be DOA. Yes, those dedicated to anything Apple who will buy it, but other than those few, I don't think the phone will do well.

As far as predictions, I'll go on record that the two things that will kill the iPhone are 1) the touchscreen; and 2) the built-in battery.

Fact is, consumers don't like touch screens. They don't work that well [did you see the Prada demo and how many errors he made when trying to use the touchscreen]. If there is going to be a touch screen interface the device should also have a keyboard. This combination has been better received by consumers [e.g., the iPaq and other PDAs with keyboards and touchscreen interfaces]. Touchscreen only = flop. Simply put, touch screens are crap for doing any kind of typing. So unless one wants the iPhone strictly as a "fun multi-media device," it is doomed as a phone for texting or e-mails.

And who is going to want to clean their phones every hour because the panel will be nothing but a big grease trap.

On the battery, I think it's a misguided move to sell a multi-media device that also doubles as a phone, with a battery that cannot be removed for charging and another put in its place.

It's one thing to have some multi-media device or camera go out because one does not have additional batteries to use. You just toss it aside and say "Oh well, no more juice."

But if the battery goes out on a cell phone and one cannot insert another, that's serious if the phone cannot be used. I just think that will cause all kinds of problems, especially in emergencies.

I can't recall ever seeing a cell phone that did not have a removable battery. Why on earth Apple in 2007 would come out with a phone with a non-removable battery is beyond me, especially in light of the load and strain a multi-media/cell phone device will place on the battery.

I guess some BBF members can continue to believe the iPhone is so innovative that it will [or has] caused other manufacturers to freak out and go back to the drawing board. But it seems to me that such Members are in the extreme minority considering that most reviews, discussions and comments about the iPhone are negative. And such comments and reviews are not from bashers of anything Apple, but from respected people in the industry.

Like I said before, wish there was a pool on what will happen with the iPhone. I could take some money from some people who don't know better but think they know it all.

We shall see.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 02-14-2007 at 02:04 AM..
Old 02-11-2007, 12:42 PM   #12
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700G

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco
Verizon passing on the iPhone was just one of a big box of evidence out there that the iPhone is all hype and will be a dud.
Based upon what evidence not based in fantasy? Please provide Verizon sources on the record.

Quote:
Some BBF members labeled our negative comments about the iPhone as lies, unfounded speculation, stupidity, diatribe, [and some other highfalutin jabs or insults].
Want some sassafras with your highfalutin?

Quote:
Although I do not know any of the details...
Say it isn't so ... again!

Quote:
And it seems to me that Apple then had to "beg" Cingular to take it. Cingular said OK, but got ridiculous concessions from Apple, such as pricing, contract term, etc. [most of which will change as the units do not fly off the shelf].
What Cingular evidence exists to support this fantasy? Your conclusion is premature. Sound familiar?

Quote:
And as I said in the Pearl section, with so much criticism about the iPhone, as compared to praise, I don't think that bodes well for sales in June. In a sense the iPhone will be DOA.
Unaccountable, anonymous internet forum posts are your standard? Duly noted!

Quote:
Fact is, consumers don't like touch screens.
So that's why Microsoft is such a dismal failure. Got it!

Quote:
They don't work that well [did you see the Prada demo and how many errors he made when trying to use the touchscreen]. If there is going to be a touch screen interface the device should also have a keyboard. This combination has been better received by consumers [e.g., the iPaq and other PDAs with keyboards and touchscreen interfaces]. Touchscreen only = flop. Simply put, touch screens are crap for doing any kind of typing. So unless one wants the iPhone strictly as a "fun multi-media device," it is doomed as a phone for texting or e-mails.
Your assessment is the equivalent of comparing the Blackberry OS to the Microsoft Mobile - Smartphone Edition. Thanks for the apples and oranges!

Quote:
And who is going to want to clean their phones every hour because the panel will be nothing but a big grease trap.
If this 'argument' had any validity, it would apply to any phone with a screen of any kind that has the potential of coming into contact with human skin. Greaseballs shouldn't blame their fate on external forces. Enjoying your argumentative joyride?

Quote:
On the battery, I think it's a misguided move to sell a multi-media device that also doubles as a phone, with a battery that cannot be removed for charging and another put in its place.
Again, your assessment is conjecture due to the fact that the OS is the biggest factor in the cycle lifespan of a battery. More baseless conjecture.

Quote:
But if the battery goes out on a cell phone and one cannot insert another, that's serious if the phone cannot be used. I just think that will cause all kinds of problems, especially in emergencies.
Guess I'd just have to wave down one of the many motorists making illegal lane-changes around me to borrow the cell they're on in the case of such dire emergencies.

Quote:
I guess some BBF members can continue to believe the iPhone is so innovative that it will [or has] caused other manufacturers to freak out and go back to the drawing board. But it seems to me that such Members are in the extreme minority considering that most reviews, discussions and comments about the iPhone are negative. And such comments and reviews are not from bashers of anything Apple, but from respected people in the industry.
No one who has not had the opportunity to have this device in-hand can objectively judge the iPhone since it hasn't been born yet. Those who have, differ with you by 180 degrees.

Should its birth be allowed or should it be continued to be treated like the birth of the antichrist by the self-serving?

Good thing for American jurisprudence that you only play judge, jury, and executioner on the internet.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:20 PM   #13
archer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco
Verizon passing on the iPhone was just one of a big box of evidence out there that the iPhone is all hype and will be a dud.

Like I said before, wish there was a pool on what will happen with the iPhone. I could take some money from some people who don't know better but think they know it all.

We shall see.
Well Said!......
Old 07-25-2007, 11:15 PM   #14
b13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
PIN: 2408BC18
Carrier: cingular

i didnt wait for my contract to be over, and i have been charged $750 :p
i was sick of their shitty phones and their customer service sucks!!! i bought the lg vx8600, and i dropped it in the water, i asked them for a replacement, but these idiots said that i didnt have insurance :-| i had insurance for 2 years, how can it dissapear??????
verison sucks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple85 View Post
I know I read the today and was FURIOUS! This is why when my contract expires I'm leaving Verizon. I'm done with out dated crippled phones. Is it so much that Apple asked to control where the devices were sold and to get a portion of the monthly costs? Obviously to Cingular it wasn't!
Old 07-26-2007, 06:27 AM   #15
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by b13 View Post
i didnt wait for my contract to be over, and i have been charged $750 :p
i was sick of their shitty phones and their customer service sucks!!! i bought the lg vx8600, and i dropped it in the water, i asked them for a replacement, but these idiots said that i didnt have insurance :-| i had insurance for 2 years, how can it dissapear??????
verison sucks!!!

Never had one issue with CS or service verizon rocks. BTW may want to watch the language
Old 07-26-2007, 09:17 PM   #16
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 35AABF91

ATT Wireless reported that iPhone activations fell shorter than what was expected. just in case anyone was interested....

IPhone numbers fall short of hype
Old 07-26-2007, 10:55 PM   #17
King-B
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
PIN: 23F8E72F
Carrier: SunCom

^^ That means more commercials. hahaha

By the way, whats all the fuss with this "Apple vs. Verizon" stuff? Apple is in the business of making money. Why would they want to partner with any CDMA carrier? Forget Verizon. They cant make money with just them. So who cares.

Let the folks at LG partner with Verizon.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:27 AM   #18
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBerry View Post
ATT Wireless reported that iPhone activations fell shorter than what was expected. just in case anyone was interested....

IPhone numbers fall short of hype

Yeah I read that with only 146 grand in activations way short of the million mark they set huh
Old 07-27-2007, 06:53 AM   #19
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

the million mark was for this year, not the first weekend. Also the 146k was for the first 30 hours, it comes from ATT quarterly numbers.

Apple said they sold 270k during the first 30 hours. And most estimates have them meeting their goals for the release. These numbers only account for the 6pm Friday - Midnight Sunday early morning.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:59 AM   #20
zero7404

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by King-B View Post
Why would they want to partner with any CDMA carrier? Forget Verizon.
the article in the OP's post is interesting......after reading it, i think that apple's intent was to go with verizon first. makes sense because according to them, they had "the perfect device" to offer up and sought out "the most reliable" (aka..."can you hear me now ?") carrier. probably a nice shot in the ankle for apple when they heard the answer. also, it makes sense, because with verizon apple would not have to worry about sim cards & all that happy crap.

personally i don't care much for verizon, but kudos to them for telling apple to go shove it. it's not every day that you see compaines out there setting up 'arrogant, and ****y' business models for the world to see as does apple. at least verizon maintained thier business ethics and to the point that they did not leap over skyscrapers & the like just to be the ones to offer up the ifone first.
Closed Thread