BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 12:08 PM   #1
tennapop
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9930
PIN: 33109831
Carrier: nTelos
Default 10 reasons why I'm sticking with my 8100 and not getting an iPhone.

Please Login to Remove!

Ok. Many of you out there may be wanting, or have purchased an iPhone in the last week. Now, I was one of you at one point. I DID want an iPhone. Not anymore.

Thanks to some research, and a few good programs i've come to the conclusion that my Blackberry is WAY better than an iPhone.

Here's why:

1. Keyboard.
Now, depending on which Blackberry model you have, you'll either have a full qwerty or you'll have a suretype keypad. Either way, you can use multiple fingers to text, email, or IM and not touch a screen with one finger and grease up your screen. If I wanted a touch screen, I'd get a PPC or a Treo.

2. Email.
Yes, I use Yahoo! for email. But it's not my primary. I use it for MySpace logging in, some forum boards, and to receive stuff from my girlfriend. I also use Gmail, and my PERSONAL BLACKBERRY EMAIL that is pushed to my handset as soon as it's sent. Do you get that with the iPhone? No. Did Apple say, "hey, you dropped 600+ dollars on a phone, we'll give you a .mac address."? No. Another plus.

3. Visual Voicemail.
Ok, it's a cool built in feature on the iPhone, but thanks to Word, I now have a visual voicemail program on my Blackberry.... And it's free. Eat that Apple.

4. Programs.
Ok, the iPhone is secure. That's a given, but if I have to load ALL of my apps through Safari and use web based programs. I like being able to do what I want when I want. I don't want to wait to load a new tab to get on AIM, or do whatever. On top of that.. The programs available for the Blackberry are endless. Not only can I do EVERYTHING the iPhone can as far as listen to music, get on the web, look at pictures, and make phone calls, but I can listen to XM on my Blackberry. There is so much more that I can do on top of all of that.

5. Activation.
Plain and simple. I can walk out of an AT&T store with a working Blackberry. I don't have to hook it to iTunes.

6. Music.
Ok... I don't have 8 gigs of music on my phone. I have around 2. But it isn't what I've purchased on iTunes. It's what I've pulled off my computer and added to my TransFlash card.

7. Camera.
I have one. Don't care what the iPhone has. Blackberries have 1.3mp and 2.0mp. iPhone has a 2.0.

8. Ringtones.
Ok, this may not seem that big, but go to your local mall and listen. Who uses the factory ringtone for their phone? Which one of your friends that have T Mobile use the T Jingle? What about the ATT Tune? Who uses the Nokia tone? Hardly anyone! It's about being an individual... You choose a ringtone based on what you like and your mood. Most likely it's an actual song. I don't want to hear the stupid iPhone tune EVERYTIME my phone rings!!! I like knowing that when I hear Punk Rock Princess from Something Corporate, it's my girlfriend. I want to be able to know when my friends call, it's a different ringtone.. Co-workers... Same thing.

9. Hardware.
My Blackberry uses a standard USB cable. iPhone uses a proprietary cable. I can use ANY headphones I want. I may need an adapter that I can get for about 5 bucks, but it'll work. I don't have to use special headphones with my phone. I can use my friend's Razr charger, I can use my friend's PPC charger. I can use a USB cable from a digital camera and charge my phone. Can the iPhone? No.

10. Business Factor.
What grown man in the business world would use an iPhone? No one I know. In my office it's PPCs, Treos, and Blackberries only. And I work for AT&T.

There ya go. Maybe if you haven't wasted your money yet, you'll think twice before getting one.

Just my two cents.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:19 PM   #2
PhillyGuy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: TMO

1) I am not an iSheep.
2) Proven stable OS
3) Proven email capabilities
4) Music - can use any MP3.
5) 3rd party software - OK, maybe not as much as WM but more than the iPhone.
6) Proven hardware
7) Cost - nuff said
8) Camera/Video - my Pearl has a camera. It okay to snap a quick picture of something for work, but if I want to take a picture, that's why I have a 5 mp Cannon.
9) Visual voicemail - who cares? I use GrandCentral. That's visual voice mail from my BB, PDA or any PC.
10) I AM NOT AN iSheep!
Old 07-06-2007, 12:32 PM   #3
4n6doc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

Let's not forget...

On a Blackberry, when writing a text message or email, you can go back anywhere in the message, reinsert the cursor and add text, and select/copy/cut/paste text within and between applications.

With the iPhone, you can't do any of that. You have to backspace all the way back to the point you want to change, make the change, and retype everything you just backspaced over. If you are on a webpage and want to tell someone about it, there's no way to copy the url from the browser and paste it into an email or text message.

I am a MacHead (different from an "iSheep" I hope!), but it is impossible to defendApple on this one. Leaving out such basic operations on an allegedly "groundbreaking" $600 device is just plain embarassing.

Last edited by 4n6doc; 07-06-2007 at 12:35 PM..
Old 07-06-2007, 12:35 PM   #4
Hemiolia
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A

What is this free visual voicemail program for the BB?

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2007, 12:36 PM   #5
dagreenjr

Carrier: att
Default i agree...

but you got to hand it to apple... the iphone is a lil nifty gadget for the PSP generation.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:37 PM   #6
4n6doc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemiolia View Post
What is this free visual voicemail program for the BB?

Thanks!
SimulSays [Beta] - www.SimulSays.com
Old 07-06-2007, 12:39 PM   #7
4n6doc
Thumbs Must Hurt

And what the hell is with not being able to replace the battery on the damn thing? It's stupid with regular iPods and plain moronic with the iPhone.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:40 PM   #8
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

How many iPhone threads do we really need in this forum?
I realize it's a hot topic for most of the US... but lets not forget... this is a BlackBerry forum.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:56 PM   #9
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
How many iPhone threads do we really need in this forum?
I realize it's a hot topic for most of the US... but lets not forget... this is a BlackBerry forum.
they will continue to grow as the minds get warped into the apple mind set
Old 07-06-2007, 01:05 PM   #10
twn2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Tmobile

I'm interested in how the Word program does visual vmail. Any input on that???

As for the iPhone, I was all set to be the first one in line at the Apple store until I got my 8100. I love Apple products (primarily because of the linux factor), but I had to totally bow (actually kneel)to the 8100. Due to my religion, I can't badmouth Apple....so I'll just remain quiet regarding the iPhone.

Tom
Old 07-06-2007, 01:32 PM   #11
Shishkabob87
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: Sig
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by twn2 View Post
I'm interested in how the Word program does visual vmail. Any input on that???

As for the iPhone, I was all set to be the first one in line at the Apple store until I got my 8100. I love Apple products (primarily because of the linux factor), but I had to totally bow (actually kneel)to the 8100. Due to my religion, I can't badmouth Apple....so I'll just remain quiet regarding the iPhone.

Tom
Also interested in the Simul Says app if anyone can offer anymore input on that.

And the iPhone...I'm an avid mac fan and will probably end up getting one down the line after my contract with the 8100 and tmo is up...For now I love my blackberry. But I also love the feel of the iPhone because it's not foreign to me in the slightest. I do have my issues but as stated by Tom..I can't badmouth Apple. Let's see how future generations of this product turn out eh?
Old 07-06-2007, 01:44 PM   #12
twn2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Tmobile

Going OT here, but I just downloaded Simulscribe. Not bad, pretty cool, worth $10/month, or what ever it is(?), not really. I guess it would be worth the money if I used my phone more for work, but I really try not to give the number out to customers, so most of my vmail is at the office....and I'm at the office most of the time. It's a cool idea though. A free service would be neat.

Still waiting on the "free" "Word" thing.

Tom
Old 07-06-2007, 01:55 PM   #13
Shishkabob87
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: Sig
Carrier: Verizon

Is it only the scribing that costs money? Or how else would it be visual vmail I guess?
Old 07-06-2007, 02:11 PM   #14
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4n6doc View Post
Let's not forget...

On a Blackberry, when writing a text message or email, you can go back anywhere in the message, reinsert the cursor and add text, and select/copy/cut/paste text within and between applications.

With the iPhone, you can't do any of that. You have to backspace all the way back to the point you want to change, make the change, and retype everything you just backspaced over...
I think there is a way on the iPhone to put your finger on the screen and move the cursor to an insertion point anywhere in the text without having to backspace. I saw it on one of those iPhone videos on their web site.

Even so, I still am not interested in the iPhone. Maybe one day, but not anytime soon.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:14 PM   #15
Vmalho2

Carrier: AT&T

iPhone....... I have seen it in person, played around with it, not a big fan. It looks cool at first, but it is not worth 650 bucks

1. I would rather have a keyboard then touch everything, thats annoying.
2. If that shit falls, its done
3. I have a 30gb iPod for a reason
4. I hate how you have to grab shit in order to scroll up or down, it just makes it more complicated
5. All the above
6. Whatever people said earlier about the phone
Old 07-06-2007, 02:37 PM   #16
karaokesuperstar
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: EAPPLE
Carrier: Tmo

No MMS, no video, not the BBs have them yet... not customizable...
Old 07-06-2007, 04:32 PM   #17
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: HEAD

Back when we discussed this in Jan-Feb of 07 I said that the touch screen and fixed battery would be the iPhone's biggest downfalls. I took the position that you simply cannot have a fixed or built-in battery on a cell phone. And typing on a touch screen is impractical and nonsense.

That aside, iPhone owners are complaining that to replace the battery one has to return the phone to Apple and pay a $86 fee to have the defective battery replaced. iPhone owners are upset that the battery is not covered under warranty. Plus if they want a temp phone to use while the one is in the shop having the battery replaced, add $30 to the $86. [Of course, this does not address that in between the time one is sending the phone and when the problem developed, one is presumably without a phone. As many of you know, even 24 hours without a phone is a crisis].

Also, iPhone owners are complaining that battery life is not as long as advertised [duh, I said that before, that manufacturers exaggerate, aka lie, about battery life].

Some people have reported on the Net that they have dropped their new phones and the glass screen shattered and the phone became inoperable. [No surprise there].

Lastly, reports are in from eBay that sellers hoping to cash in big by selling their iPhone[s] on eBay for thousands have in fact mostly broke even. After taxes and eBay fees, the iPhone has cost sellers about $675. Average selling price of the iPhone on eBay has been about $700. Of course, this does not include calculation of the time one spent standing in line.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 07-06-2007 at 04:36 PM..
Old 07-06-2007, 05:01 PM   #18
Dranakin

Yeah, after messing around with it for a half-hour, not really a fan of SimulSays.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:55 PM   #19
prodigee
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Fido (City, Unlimited)

if you're driving with an iPhone... you might wan make sure you have a passenger keeping an eye on the road for you...

what's good about the keys (on any phone) is that you can actually FEEL them. if you can memorize where each key is (or just the number keys), you'll be able to dial a number while keeping an eye on the road. if you get a wrong number, no problem: just hang up and dial again. you'll still be safer.

i used to use a nokia 7710 (touchscreen). dialing on that was a b & a half. only time i could dial was if i was stuck @ a red light or pulled over. other than that, if i tried to dial while driving, i'd keep having to stare and the screen & sometimes i'd miss... then i'd have to look for the "delete/back" button.

that's my 2 cents.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:17 PM   #20
CaCHooKa Man
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100c
PIN: 23E8EA8C
Carrier: Cingular

since i installed simulsays my pearls felt a little sluggish

Last edited by CaCHooKa Man; 07-06-2007 at 06:48 PM..
Closed Thread