Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 06:35 PM   #1
agault

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bell Mobility
Default Bell 9700 Sound Profile - Vibrate then ring

Please Login to Remove!

I just upgraded from the 8830 to the 9700 (on my 7th generate BB now!). RIM appear to have changed the way you can configure the sound profile. On my 8830, I had the option to configure an "In holster" and "Out of holster" setting but the 9700 doesn't appear to have this.

This is the config I had/want. Can anyone help me with the same config on a 9700?

Phone: Out of holster - Just ring
In holster - Vibrate x number of times THEN ring

Email: Out of holster - Just play 1 tone
In holster - Vibrate x number of times then play tone x times.

etc. etc.

Any help would be appreciated. I would like to be able to feel the BB vibrate in the holster and answer it before it plays any tones or rings (Ideal for work so I don't annoy everyone with the phone ringing).
Old 11-27-2009, 10:26 PM   #2
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

You can still do this with the new profile settings, it is just arranged in a different way. For your first example, and notice that the settings in parenthesis are up to you, the ones not in parenthesis must be set as indicated for this to work:

Ring Tone: (select the ring tone you want)
Volume: (set the volume level you want - notice you now have many more volume choices)
Play Sound: Always
LED: (your choice of on or off)
Vibration: Custom
Length: (your choice of short, medium, or long)
Count: (how many times do you want the phone to vibrate)
Vibrate: In Holster
Vibrate With Ring Tone: Off

This will achieve exactly what you want for the first example. The second example is just a variation of the first, so you shouldn't have any problems setting it up either. One thing to bear in mind, though: you must back out of the settings all the way (saving each time the warning message appears about saving your changes) for this to take effect. In other words, the best way to ensure the settings are applied is to make your changes, back out, save each time you are prompted, and take yourself all the way back to the home screen. I learned the hard way (after getting frustrated) that you have to back out of the profile settings screens (and save your work) before the changes are applied.

Let me know if you still have trouble... I'll be glad to help some more if needed.

Once you have this set, by the way, experiment with the different settings. It's pretty interesting what combinations you can come up with. Much, much better than the old way of setting ring tones, if you ask me. So much more flexible.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.

Last edited by ifonline; 11-27-2009 at 10:30 PM..
Old 12-06-2009, 04:47 PM   #3
agault

I appreciate your help and response. I got the phone one figured out but I still find it impossible to achieve what was possible on my old 8830.

When the BB is sitting in my PowerStation charger, I don't want it to vibrate and for incoming emails, I just want "one" ding/sound. (I get about 200 emails as a day so when I'm sitting at my desk, a single ding is sufficient).

When the device is in the holster, I want it to vibrate and then ding/sound 3 or 4 times for each email as sometimes I don't feel the vibration or hear it, especially in noisy environment.

Unless I'm really overlooking something, you can't control the number of times the sound plays in and out of the holster :(

Last edited by agault; 12-06-2009 at 04:48 PM..
Old 12-07-2009, 07:12 AM   #4
ifonline
Magic Bananas

You can still do this in a round-about way. Create a new profile and call it "Charging" or something like that. In that profile, set up your notifications however you want them to be when the phone is charging.

Next, go to the clock application, press the menu button, and select Options. Change the setting "When Charging" to "Enter Bedside Mode." Next, change the setting "Sound Profile" under the section "Bedside Mode" to the name of the profile you created earlier.

Save your options and exit the app. Now, when you place your phone into the charging station it will switch to your new profile and alert you just like you want (1 tone for each e-mail, for example). When you remove your phone, it will revert to the previous profile that you use for in-holster and out-of-holster notifications.

I hope that makes sense.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 12-07-2009, 12:56 PM   #5
agault

Thank you! That was an excellent suggestion that I'd never thought of!

If anyone from RIM is reading, it would still be nice to have that old "in holster" & "out of holster" profile capability. I realise I might be the minority but I hate loosing functionality during an upgrade
Old 12-07-2009, 04:39 PM   #6
ifonline
Magic Bananas

You're welcome. Enjoy.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 12-11-2009, 07:52 PM   #7
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107

DAMN! Looks like OS 5 changes a few things.

Yup I think I'll changeup my iPhone 3GS Mint for the 9700! Time to get my sh*t back in gear.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:58 PM   #8
mikhbond

Carrier: AT&T
Default This is horrible

I can NOT do what I could do with my 8820 in so far as ring profiles. I have 5 email accounts going to this BB and I have a different setup for each AND for phone calls, etc. I want them to do one thing out of the holster, and something else IN the holster. I've set it up SO MANY TIMES and it just doesn't work. It will only react as if its OUT of the holster and if I don't lock the keyboard, it will either start typing in the holster or set itself to vibrate only mode - which I don't want. I hate this. Is my BB not right? I'm running the lastest OS from AT&T 5.0.0.405

Last edited by mikhbond; 01-04-2010 at 10:59 PM..
Old 01-05-2010, 06:43 AM   #9
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Start your own thread and ask this question... I'll be glad to help at that point. This sounds like a hardware issue, not a profile issue.

Semper Fi 3/2/2

Last edited by ifonline; 01-05-2010 at 06:45 AM..
Closed Thread