Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 09:56 AM   #1
pomc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon
Default Merging multiple BES SQL databases and performance

Please Login to Remove!

We are looking into making changes to our BES environment to improve disaster recovery. Currently we have three Domino 4.1 BES sites with each having its own SQL server and database. Geographically, they are located on the East Coast, West Coast and Georgia.

We're considering changing to a single database for each BES to share which would make moving users from BES to BES feasible in the case of an emergency.

My questions:

1. Can three databases be merged? I've searched and read that dbmerge can combine two databases, but I'm not sure about three.

2. Is it true that the users will not have to reactivate if databases are merged?

3. Realistically, what will the performance of the West Coast and Georgia BES be if the single database is on the East Coast?

Thanks.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:40 AM   #2
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

Quote:
We are looking into making changes to our BES environment to improve disaster recovery. Currently we have three Domino 4.1 BES sites with each having its own SQL server and database. Geographically, they are located on the East Coast, West Coast and Georgia.

We're considering changing to a single database for each BES to share which would make moving users from BES to BES feasible in the case of an emergency.
What bandwidth / latency do you have between these sites?

Quote:
1. Can three databases be merged? I've searched and read that dbmerge can combine two databases, but I'm not sure about three.
Yes absolutely. 3 = (1 + 1) + 1 ... you merge two and then merge the 3rd.

Quote:
2. Is it true that the users will not have to reactivate if databases are merged?
If you merge according to the requirements set by RIM, you will not have to reactivate

Quote:
3. Realistically, what will the performance of the West Coast and Georgia BES be if the single database is on the East Coast?
It depends on the performance / latency. If you have < 85 ms RTT from each site to SQL, and you install the DBNS per the SQL move documentation you really should be good.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:01 AM   #3
pomc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdawg View Post
What bandwidth / latency do you have between these sites?
From the Georgia BES to the East Coast BES we have a dedicated DS3 circuit. From West Coast BES to East Coast BES (and SQL server) we have a 7,000Kbps permanent virtual circuit.

Thanks.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:23 AM   #4
wistowg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: O2
Default Merge databases = very risky

Have been advised by senior people at O2 that the RIM dbmerge tool is no longer supported and is likely to result in database corruptions. I'd be VERY interested to know whether anyone has a good experience of using this though - I didn't have the courage!
Old 04-22-2008, 11:55 AM   #5
scorp508
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 0000
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomc View Post
From the Georgia BES to the East Coast BES we have a dedicated DS3 circuit. From West Coast BES to East Coast BES (and SQL server) we have a 7,000Kbps permanent virtual circuit.

Thanks.
Bandwidth & Latency are totally unrelated. You should verify what you have for latency between the sites too.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:13 PM   #6
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by wistowg View Post
Have been advised by senior people at O2 that the RIM dbmerge tool is no longer supported and is likely to result in database corruptions. I'd be VERY interested to know whether anyone has a good experience of using this though - I didn't have the courage!
I've never heard of this ... I'm gonna ping my SAM and see what he says
Old 04-22-2008, 12:14 PM   #7
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp508 View Post
Bandwidth & Latency are totally unrelated. You should verify what you have for latency between the sites too.
They are related in this case. You need both enough bandwidth and low enough latency for it to be effective.
Closed Thread