BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 02-06-2006, 04:14 PM   #1
wlegge

Model: MDAc
Carrier: Vodafone
Default Internet browsing via BES using PocketPC

Please Login to Remove!

Hi All

I'm quite happily using my T-mobile MDA Compact (same as Imate JAM) on Vodafone here in the UK with our corporate BES, using blackberry connect.

It all works very well, including the calendar etc however I do miss the Blackberry Browser functionality from the 7250 I had before.

Anyone ever figured out how to get Internet Explorer (or opera) setup in PocketPC to be able to browse the web via the BES we have?

This would be a great bonus for me!

I presume I'd have to setup a separate GPRS connection and configure some proxy settings etc, however I don't want to use the Internet or WAP APNs from Vodafone as they won't route my traffic through the BES (and be included in my data plan).

Thanks

Will.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:53 PM   #2
saldous
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Where did you get BB Connect software for the Pocket PC from?
Old 02-08-2006, 01:06 PM   #3
CarlSpackler
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 30183C7D
Default I would also like to know!

Where were you able to get the BB Connect client?

I have some IMates I would like to test it with.

Thanks,
Carl
Old 02-08-2006, 01:24 PM   #4
CarlSpackler
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 30183C7D
Default Nevermind I found it...

Here is the link for anyone else that wants to experiment with it.

http://www.t-mobile.de/business/blackberry/software

Carl
Old 02-09-2006, 11:20 AM   #5
sting0r
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: dash
Carrier: tmobile

Anyone try the software? Is it in english? Also has anyone extacted it from the rom image yet. Maybe I will check it out at on the xda developer forums. Will can you confirm the language on the software or let us know where we can get it?
Old 02-10-2006, 04:44 PM   #6
Mr Pink57
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

I dont think you will be able to use something like the BB browser on a BES, since it uses MDS and I do not think your "jam" supports the MDS side of things. Your best bet would be to use Opera though.

pink
Old 02-15-2006, 05:34 PM   #7
wlegge

Model: MDAc
Carrier: Vodafone

Ok - lets clear up the blackberry on pocketpc thing then...

It DOES require a special version of the radio ROM to be on the device. I don't know what is special about it but all I know is that the blackberry client only works with certain 'verified' radio rom versions. 1.12.00 t-mobile being one of them.

1.13.00 doesn't work with blackberry - I've tried it.

The official t-mobile rom released in the uk for the mda compact includes the blackberry client, and I have a t-mobile mda compact, unlocked so I can use it on vodafone, running the official t-mobile rom but without installing any of the extrom stuff as it loads it full of useless stuff. Only the blackberry client and ms voice command installed.

The blackberry client software CAN be extracted separate, however without the supporting radio rom version it won't work - trust me.

I had an imate Jam before the MDA, I sold it and got the t-mobile MDA (I know they are the same thing) as I couldn't be bothered with all of this rom hacking stuff to get it to work. Official roms tend to just do the business required.

Anyway, hope that helps - shame about the MDS support, wonder if anyone could write a client for the pocketpc then?