Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 08:00 PM   #41
NancyK

Model: Curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: MTS
Default New Blackberry Curve User setting off alarms

Please Login to Remove!

I just started carrying a Blackberry Curve (with a magnetic case that turns the screen off when the Blackberry is placed in it) about a week and half ago. Since then, I can't go into stores with alarm sensors without setting off the alarms. No one has tried to search me yet, but it is embarassing and annoying. I know it is not something in my clothing or purse (neither clothes nor purse were new) and it started as soon as I was given the Blackberry. I am so irritated I am ready to tell my employer to take it back. Does anyone know what this could be and how I can make it stop happening? Otherwise, I will gladly go back to old technology (or stay out of touch, which is an even more attractive option...)
Old 11-15-2008, 09:44 PM   #42
clevebb
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint always

This was a nice surprise vacation from bb problems.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:23 AM   #43
kf6kmx

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickfromIL View Post
I thought it was happening to me once, turns out the security tag in my leather coat reactivated itself after time. While it was deactivated when I bought it, since i didnt cut that little tag out, it somehow regained it's strength after about a year and I was settting off every alarm in the mall.
Could be the rf energy in the phone is reactivating the security strip...
I bought a wallet once that had a security strip sewn into the liner, would randomly trigger alarms everywhere until we figured out what it was.

BUT rf can do odd things...
I do ham radio (hence my login name), I can stand in my yard, set my handheld (1/4 watt 440mhz) radio to the local repeater, and nothing happens... IF I turn on the PL (subtone squelch control freq) and transmit, I turn on the motion light on my driveway... change to a slightly different PL and I turn on the neighbors motion light!
Old 11-16-2008, 01:31 AM   #44
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

I don't think it's coincidence that the 2 people with problems both mentioned purses. So there may be some combination of things that's making this happen. So either it isn't the BB at all, or something else in the purse along with the BB is causing problems. And it's probably something fairly rare given this isn't a more common problem.

Only way to know would be to try a lot of combinations of things and see what it is.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:34 AM   #45
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

If it were the BlackBerry, there would be 15 million users around the US complaining--including myself.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:40 AM   #46
monkeypaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
If it were the BlackBerry, there would be 15 million users around the US complaining--including myself.
That's why I was saying it could be some rare combination of things and not just the phone itself. We don't know what else is in the purse.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:13 AM   #47
clevebb

Carrier: Sprint always

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf6kmx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickfromIL View Post
I thought it was happening to me once, turns out the security tag in my leather coat reactivated itself after time. While it was deactivated when I bought it, since i didnt cut that little tag out, it somehow regained it's strength after about a year and I was settting off every alarm in the mall.
Could be the rf energy in the phone is reactivating the security strip...
I bought a wallet once that had a security strip sewn into the liner, would randomly trigger alarms everywhere until we figured out what it was.

BUT rf can do odd things...
I do ham radio (hence my login name), I can stand in my yard, set my handheld (1/4 watt 440mhz) radio to the local repeater, and nothing happens... IF I turn on the PL (subtone squelch control freq) and transmit, I turn on the motion light on my driveway... change to a slightly different PL and I turn on the neighbors motion light!
I got scared NickfromIL was back!!! I checked, that post was from July
Old 11-16-2008, 12:12 PM   #48
Raptor464
Kid Tested. Mom Approved.

Model: 9700
PIN: eapple under the sea
Carrier: T-mobile USA

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
the issue the jsanders was talking about turned out to be a tag in a wallet I believe. I am 1000000% sure its not the BB
This happened to me at a library. Turns out the new wallet I purchased a few days before still had an activated security tag in it.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:04 AM   #49
NancyK

Model: Curve
Carrier: MTS

As a follow-up to my previous message, I had my Blackberry curve (including the case) replaced because it was either that or I couldn't carry it anymore. The problem with setting off alarms was that bad. Now that I have the new one (same model), I am having no problems. I have gone back to two of the stores where I set off alarms both entering and leaving and no problem. So, given that it was only the addition of the Blackberry that started the problem and a change of Blackberry fixed the problem, it obviously *was* that particular Blackberry. No one seems to be able to explain it, but at this point, it is no longer my problem.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:36 AM   #50
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyK View Post
As a follow-up to my previous message, I had my Blackberry curve (including the case) replaced because it was either that or I couldn't carry it anymore. The problem with setting off alarms was that bad. Now that I have the new one (same model), I am having no problems. I have gone back to two of the stores where I set off alarms both entering and leaving and no problem. So, given that it was only the addition of the Blackberry that started the problem and a change of Blackberry fixed the problem, it obviously *was* that particular Blackberry. No one seems to be able to explain it, but at this point, it is no longer my problem.
I still say it was the case not the BB
Old 03-03-2009, 03:35 PM   #51
JoeO

Model: 81xx
PIN: None
Carrier: Tmobile
Default Swallow

What if you swallow one of those security strips...or whatever...how big are they and what are they made of
Old 03-03-2009, 04:12 PM   #52
Raptor464
Kid Tested. Mom Approved.

Model: 9700
PIN: eapple under the sea
Carrier: T-mobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeO View Post
What if you swallow one of those security strips...or whatever...how big are they and what are they made of
Do it. I dare you.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:33 PM   #53
atuarre

Model: 9550

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBW View Post
I may have a couple of answers.

ONE: It may not be your BlackBerry - have a friend walk into then out of a store, maing sure no alarms get set off - then repeat while carrying your BlackBerry (you stay outside) - if it triggers, it is the BlackBerry - or something inside it. Repeat the same experiment with just the battery - and with the BB with no battery in it. If none of these things trigger the alarm, it's something else - probably somjething else in your purse or something in your clothing.

TWO: If you can establish that you set off their alarms without performing any illegal acts, you can tell them to screw off if/when they want to search something. Faults and flaws in their alarm system are their responsibility, not yours. They are not permitted to subject you to unwarranted search and seizure simply because they have flawed or faulty equipment. You're not guilty of anything and you don't have to take any crap. Get the store owner over and involved - and call the cops yourself - chew them out for the public humiliation at their election and without true probable cause - and insist that they provide you some remedy beyond their apologies.

THREE: If they refuse, find one of those lawyers who advertises on TV - you may have to call several - explaint that many stores buyt not all have this flaw in their alarm systems and what the result has been for you - take the lawyer shopping - he may want to carry a hidden video recorder - and you can bet that you will no longer be the victim when such incidents occur.
Actually, they can detain you till the police arrive, and if he/she does leave and the police get called, he/she can be detained until it is clear that there is no malfunction. It is just better to cooperate.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:45 PM   #54
monkeypaw

Quote:
Look at the inside of DVD cases for those white strips that are kinda raised. The ones where you pull it off have a foil type thing inside. They don't all look like that. The ones inside library books are very thin.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:54 PM   #55
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
If you were to swallow one, I would guess that tripping store alarms might be the least of your worries...at least until your stomach was pumped.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:20 AM   #56
bigbda1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

To get back on track. Check a garment you are wearing. A RF-ID tag is located in a jacket or some other piece of clothing. Someone forgot to remove it at point of purchase. I go in and out of retail stores daily for a living, with a 8100 and now with a 9000. It's not the BB.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:43 AM   #57
TXLady

Carrier: Sprint

Personally, I think it may be the microchip embedded by the aliens instead of the blackberry. (JK)

To the OP, if you can prove that it is the blackberry by doing the test suggested above, then I wonder if you would have a case for a warrenty exchange since this is not normal for blackberries and certainly impacts your use and enjoyment of it.

Edit: I now see that this was an old post somehow brought back up. And that someone else did exactly what I suggested above so at least that validates exchanging the BB.

Last edited by TXLady; 03-04-2009 at 08:48 AM..
Old 03-04-2009, 02:36 PM   #58
monkeypaw

The OP had her phone and case replaced and it fixed the problem. Post 49.
Closed Thread