BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 02:45 PM   #1
mmunchinski

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Default Problem with Enterprise Activation / Wireless PIM

Please Login to Remove!

I have recently setup BES v4.0 and am trying to get wireless activation to complete. What is happening thus far is, enterprise activation seems to go smoothly, BES correctly associates the handheld to the user and begins Calendar sync, once calendar sync completes it just seems to sit there and does not move onto task or address book syncing. I have read the documentation and have yet to find any help. Has anyone else run into this issue?
Old 02-04-2005, 08:11 PM   #2
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

Model: OU812
Carrier: Nintendo

I have this problem quite a bit with GW BES. What I usually do is add the user, then click on properties for the user. Disable all wireless sync (email settings, email, tasks, memos and addy book, but NOT wireless sync completely). Then activate the device. After wireless activation is complete, then set the previous back to true. This method works nearly 100% of the time for me where as the former only works maybe 1/3 times.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:54 AM   #3
mmunchinski

Model: 8700c

I will give that a shot. Thanks for the advice.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:49 PM   #4
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

it could depend on what all they have to transfer wirelessly, to be honest. on initial sync, i've seen this take 20 minutes and i've seen it take 2 hours. i haven't ever really investigated logs, so i'm not sure if its just getting errors (i will check this tomorrow if i get some free time). in some case, simply removing the battery (or hard reset for non-7100 handhelds) and letting it simply start over will fix the issue (sort of).
Old 02-09-2005, 09:25 AM   #5
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

Right Jibi, but I usually don't feel like waiting 2hrs for an activation to complete. ;) With the way I described. You transfer all the required info to the device on activation, then if they have an address book with 2500 entries, it doesn't take so long to pull them in when activating. You just enable it after the device is completely activated and let them download the addy book on their own time
Old 02-11-2005, 10:14 AM   #6
Lowtrac
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

I agree with the completion time varying based on user data. For the few OTA activations I've done, I've just started it going then left it on my desk and checked back later. I really haven't found it all that useful yet. I could see it if you have a larger environment than ours though.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:20 PM   #7
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowtrac
I agree with the completion time varying based on user data. For the few OTA activations I've done, I've just started it going then left it on my desk and checked back later. I really haven't found it all that useful yet. I could see it if you have a larger environment than ours though.
I think where it would really become useful is for companies that have travelling salespeople that rarely make it into the corporate office. They ship them a blackberry, or a credit card and tell them to go to their local provider and get a blackberry. Wirelessly activate it and the device never has to be in the hands of an administrator.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:24 PM   #8
ganesha71
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800

I usually stick the user's Blackberry into my cradle and utilize the Blackberry router bypass instead of going OTA. Very fast.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:28 PM   #9
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesha71
I usually stick the user's Blackberry into my cradle and utilize the Blackberry router bypass instead of going OTA. Very fast.
Same here, but in a pinch you could activate a new device from around the world and have it restore to a previous device's state if you wanted. I think that was more the pushing factor of the wireless activation. You don't have to be at the server to setup a new device.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:29 AM   #10
wichtel

my 2 cents on that:
If the mail server is "far away" network wise (>300ms) from the BES, the wireless activation gets stuck at about 88% and might last 7 hours ( yes we had this)
So the problem was not the wireless sync, but the slowness between BES and exchange.
Anyway I guess bfrye's hint will help on that as well.
Thanks
Old 04-18-2005, 10:39 AM   #11
rmstent

Default Blackberry Enterprise Activation Problem

Hi

I keep getting the problem mentioned (see below)

"I have recently setup BES v4.0 and am trying to get wireless activation to complete. What is happening thus far is, enterprise activation seems to go smoothly, BES correctly associates the handheld to the user and begins Calendar sync, once calendar sync completes it just seems to sit there and does not move onto task or address book syncing. I have read the documentation and have yet to find any help. Has anyone else run into this issue?"

When I have tried the resolution listed (see below)

"I have this problem quite a bit with GW BES. What I usually do is add the user, then click on properties for the user. Disable all wireless sync (email settings, email, tasks, memos and addy book, but NOT wireless sync completely). Then activate the device. After wireless activation is complete, then set the previous back to true. This method works nearly 100% of the time for me where as the former only works maybe 1/3 times."

However this still does not resolve the issue for me. Does anyone else have any other solution apart from cradling?

Many thanks in advance

Rich
Old 04-18-2005, 06:13 PM   #12
Dahood

Model: 8100
Carrier: vodafone

I recommend you speak to RIM directly. Had a problem whereby customised policies do not work upon enterprise activation. After being told to rebuild the server RIM successfully replicated the problem in their labs. Now they have recognised that the problem is global!
Old 04-24-2007, 02:31 PM   #13
amazonwoman

Model: Pearl
Carrier: tmobile

I'm having the same issue as above and nothing has really worked. It's just stalling at the calendar. I guess we just wait for it to finish syncing on its own? I did try to find some help on rim and blackberry, but the help is not so helpful.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:30 PM   #14
manishgirdher_81

Model: 8800e
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verison
Default I am not sure it will work in your case but for one of our user's case we had removed

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazonwoman View Post
I'm having the same issue as above and nothing has really worked. It's just stalling at the calendar. I guess we just wait for it to finish syncing on its own? I did try to find some help on rim and blackberry, but the help is not so helpful.
I am not sure it will work in your case but for one of our user's case we had removed all of delegates from his outlook calendar. It Worked after removing.
Closed Thread