BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 04:41 PM   #1
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T, VZW
Default Long Time Berry user gets an 8900!

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, so I decided yesterday to go pick up a new 8900 Curve. Now I've had my share of Rim devices over the last 6 or 7 yrs, and was most recently using a Bold up until yesterday. My reason for switching was pretty simple, 3G on at&t is just unbearable. Now before I tear into at&t's 3G network, I do have to say that it is improving as of late, but not enough to deal with the number of dropped calls I get in a day. Web speed is great on 3G, but only when it works. So that's pretty much why I decided to roll with the EDGE speed 8900.

After 1 day of use, I must say that this device is Great! A little on the small side, but after playing with it for a day, I've pretty much adapted to the difference in size moving from the Bold. As far as looks go, this is Rims nicest device in my opinion, it's super sexy, and the form factor is sick! Screen resolution is right on par with the Bold, maybe a little bit crisper when viewing the web and what not. Over all just a real nice feel!

Now as far as call quality goes, I'll go on record by saying this is just about the clearest, loudest Blackberry that I've ever used. The reigning champ to me was my 8800 a few yrs back, well that Belt has gone to another Champ. at&t's 8900 owns all previous contenders in that department. While the previous Curve, and even the Bold were all ok, this is just light yrs ahead in my opinion. As far as EDGE goes while using the web, I'll take it over at&t's 3G at this moment, maybe a 3 second difference when loading a page. I tested then both side by side, and depending upon 3G coverage, EDGE either beats it, or Losses by a few seconds. Like I said I'll take EDGE at this moment in time.

The camera is hands down the best that Rim has out right now! Blows the Bold away, just a pleasure to use when taking a picture. All the shots I took are crisp, and filled with beautiful color. The Video recorder is pretty good also I might add.

Build quality is Good, not great, but much better then the previous Curve models. From what I've been reading, the Tour and even the Onyx are going to be tanks! Which means Rim has been listening, and is going to start using some better quality material when building there future models. But this 8900 will do just fine at the moment.

Over all ,I'm very impressed, and really liking this device right now! I must admit, I did miss my Bold yesterday! But after a full day of use yesterday, and today, I'm totally loving the 8900! As of now, I'm making this my every day device. It's that good folks!

So there ya have it, my take on the 8900! I'd definitely recommend this device to any Blackberry user out there.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:25 PM   #2
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

I agree on the EDGE comment. Wish we could turn EDGE on and off on the Bold. Also device mem is nice. Placement of USB isn't great, but damn good device overall.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:32 PM   #3
kirrinjones
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9000
PIN: 208E7C41
Carrier: LIME, Jamaica

Wirelessly posted

I was just about to suggest that you drop down to 2G on your Bold but then I remember that at&t prevents you from doing that.

That's a bummer, here in Jamaica we have 3G as well (rolling out now) but we can still switch our phones between 2G and 3G.

I have some issues too with 3G, its as if 3G is beta technology and they are working out the kinks.

How's the processing speed on the 8900
Old 05-25-2009, 05:50 PM   #4
EricScott
Thumbs Must Hurt

I have had the Bold on AT&T since the day it came out and have generally been pretty happy. Came from a Pearl so the size/weight took some getting used to but once I did, I feel / felt like other BBs were "toys"...they just seems so small and flimsy. I have had some call failed / dropped call issues w/ .167 and .210 (I am in Manhattan BTW) but since upgrading to .266 things have been more stable.

Anyway, I upgraded my wife from an 8300 to the 8900 on AT&T on Saturday. I must say I am pretty impressed w/ the 8900. I definitely like the larger screen and bigger softer keys of the Bold better but the 8900's form factor is fantastic. Had I not already adjusted to the size of the Bold this would definitely be the device for me. I have run a number of side by side tests w/ Wifi off on both devices to compare identical web pages loads as well as apps like Google Maps. For the most part the Bold beats the 8900 when loading pages but BARELY. There have been a few occasions, mostly basic WAP pages, where the 8900 won by a tiny bit. The Bold's processor does seem a little faster, loading apps a split second quicker. But if you weren't holding the devices side-by-side you would never notice. The 8900 is more than acceptable.

I am NOT going to ditch my Bold for the 8900 because as I said above I am used to the size of the Bold so the better form factor of the 8900 isn't a huge deal for me (at the time I upgraded from the Pearl it would have been though). Also the bigger screen and better keyboard (IMO - I have big fat fingers) on the Bold are not worth trading. The dropped calls on the Bold seem to be less of an issue lately and for the most part I get a pretty steady 3G signal. My battery life is easily a full day (I'm usually at 60% by the end of the day) and I can usually squeeze 2 days if I need it, but I charge it every night so not an issue. So the better battery life of the 8900 isn't a major factor either. All that being said, if I didn't have my Bold and was picking a BB right now I would go w/ the 8900.

I guess my one concern w/ going w/ the 8900 would be all the talk that AT&T is re-purposing 2G spectrum to 3G to improve the stability and ultimately they are going to migrate everyone to 3G. I'm sure that will take time but if it happens I wouldn't want a 2G device. Of course the flip side of that is that when the new iPhone comes out I'm sure there will be some major 3G hiccups. What to people think about this?

Anyway hope this is helpful to people choosing between the two. Both are great devices at the end of the day.

Last edited by EricScott; 05-25-2009 at 05:58 PM..
Old 05-25-2009, 08:46 PM   #5
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog View Post
I agree on the EDGE comment. Wish we could turn EDGE on and off on the Bold. Also device mem is nice. Placement of USB isn't great, but damn good device overall.

lol...Your 100% spot on with the USB placement! And to boot I'm a Lefty! A lil gettin used to, but not a deal breaker! I agree, very good device overall!!!
Old 05-25-2009, 08:50 PM   #6
fresh801
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9800
PIN: 22F92F17

Great to hear that its good,I just might order one
Old 05-25-2009, 08:50 PM   #7
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirrinjones View Post
Wirelessly posted

I was just about to suggest that you drop down to 2G on your Bold but then I remember that at&t prevents you from doing that.

That's a bummer, here in Jamaica we have 3G as well (rolling out now) but we can still switch our phones between 2G and 3G.

I have some issues too with 3G, its as if 3G is beta technology and they are working out the kinks.

How's the processing speed on the 8900

Like Eric said, the speed is pretty good! Very close to 3G, however depending on where you are, 3G can be a tiny bit faster. But only by a few seconds with web pages. Apps load fairly quick and smooth as well.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:57 PM   #8
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricScott View Post
I have had the Bold on AT&T since the day it came out and have generally been pretty happy. Came from a Pearl so the size/weight took some getting used to but once I did, I feel / felt like other BBs were "toys"...they just seems so small and flimsy. I have had some call failed / dropped call issues w/ .167 and .210 (I am in Manhattan BTW) but since upgrading to .266 things have been more stable.

Anyway, I upgraded my wife from an 8300 to the 8900 on AT&T on Saturday. I must say I am pretty impressed w/ the 8900. I definitely like the larger screen and bigger softer keys of the Bold better but the 8900's form factor is fantastic. Had I not already adjusted to the size of the Bold this would definitely be the device for me. I have run a number of side by side tests w/ Wifi off on both devices to compare identical web pages loads as well as apps like Google Maps. For the most part the Bold beats the 8900 when loading pages but BARELY. There have been a few occasions, mostly basic WAP pages, where the 8900 won by a tiny bit. The Bold's processor does seem a little faster, loading apps a split second quicker. But if you weren't holding the devices side-by-side you would never notice. The 8900 is more than acceptable.

I am NOT going to ditch my Bold for the 8900 because as I said above I am used to the size of the Bold so the better form factor of the 8900 isn't a huge deal for me (at the time I upgraded from the Pearl it would have been though). Also the bigger screen and better keyboard (IMO - I have big fat fingers) on the Bold are not worth trading. The dropped calls on the Bold seem to be less of an issue lately and for the most part I get a pretty steady 3G signal. My battery life is easily a full day (I'm usually at 60% by the end of the day) and I can usually squeeze 2 days if I need it, but I charge it every night so not an issue. So the better battery life of the 8900 isn't a major factor either. All that being said, if I didn't have my Bold and was picking a BB right now I would go w/ the 8900.

I guess my one concern w/ going w/ the 8900 would be all the talk that AT&T is re-purposing 2G spectrum to 3G to improve the stability and ultimately they are going to migrate everyone to 3G. I'm sure that will take time but if it happens I wouldn't want a 2G device. Of course the flip side of that is that when the new iPhone comes out I'm sure there will be some major 3G hiccups. What to people think about this?

Anyway hope this is helpful to people choosing between the two. Both are great devices at the end of the day.

Eric, you hit the nail on the head with the new iphone being released this Summer! When that thing drops, expect some over loads on the network. If last Summer's release was any indication, expect more of the same issues. The question is, will it affect the whole network, or just 3G devices? hmm! Anyway, I'll be using the Blackberry Tour for both work and personal use if that happens! Hopefully VZW comes to there senses and beats out at&t's release of the iphone with the hotness that is the TOUR!
Old 05-25-2009, 10:12 PM   #9
getmeon

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

The 8900's form factor is undeniably one of its best assets. You'll love it, i'm sure!
Old 05-27-2009, 03:37 PM   #10
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

So after a few days with the 8900, I must say I'm pretty happy! Overall A very good device. However, like always, there are some down falls that I'm realizing. In no particular order here they are ------->

1: Battery- The battery is nowhere near being in the same league as either the the previous Curve or better yet the 8800 which IMO was the best battery to ever power up a Blackberry. To be Honest, I get more time out of my 3G Bold...Hmmm?

2: Navigating and Switching from app to app: For some reason the 8900 is not as responsive as the Bold. There is just a slight hint of lag time when using the device.

3: Build Quality: For any of you that know me on the forum, you'll know I'm big on Build Quality! Hey, if ya pay for it, it better be worth it. I'll say first that the unit is built ok, but not anywhere near the Bold, or Even the Storm! Some what better then the model it replaces, but IMO it should be lite years ahead of the previous Curve. And it's really not! The Battery door gets loose after a few days, the squishy rubber is still alive and well, and seems to carry over from the 8300 serious. Over all I just think they could have did a better job, Parts being flush and what not. Now in no way is this a deal breaker to some people, but to me, Build quality is. I'll just go on record and say the BOLD is the best built Blackberry to date.

4: EDGE, EDGE, EDGE, where have you gone? Ok it's apparent that at&t is seriously phasing out EDGE. Reason I say this, My original 8700, 8800, 8300, Pearl- all ran on edge without hardly any hiccups at all, especially the later models. However, after a few days of getting used to it again, I'll say this, EDGE is much slower then it was previously! This is all on purpose by at&t, they are cutting back on EDGE service as I type this. Very Very soon, they will be fully devoted to 3G, and eventually 4G down the line. My question is this, why on earth release this 8900 then? Why not just wait for the ONYX to drop (Which is soon I hear). Honest, my coverage is not nearly as good as it was with my previous Berries running on EDGE.

So what to do?

To be honest, I'm keepin it! The device is good enough to keep and use on the weekends or for a night out when I don't need the bigger more powerful BOLD. These are just my gripes and opinion on the device. But to be fair, a lot of people will be very happy with this being there every day device, I'm just looking and waiting patiently for the perfect Berry. A la ONYX....Hopefully very soooooon!
Old 05-27-2009, 03:54 PM   #11
EricScott
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean76 View Post

4: EDGE, EDGE, EDGE, where have you gone? Ok it's apparent that at&t is seriously phasing out EDGE. Reason I say this, My original 8700, 8800, 8300, Pearl- all ran on edge without hardly any hiccups at all, especially the later models. However, after a few days of getting used to it again, I'll say this, EDGE is much slower then it was previously! This is all on purpose by at&t, they are cutting back on EDGE service as I type this. Very Very soon, they will be fully devoted to 3G, and eventually 4G down the line. My question is this, why on earth release this 8900 then? Why not just wait for the ONYX to drop (Which is soon I hear). Honest, my coverage is not nearly as good as it was with my previous Berries running on EDGE.
Interesting....so I guess you are pretty much hosed no matter what on AT&T right now. I guess while they are transitioning from EDGE to 3G coverage is going to be spotty for both. Overall my 3G coverage is pretty good in NYC - but I certainly would expect it to be. I guess my concern may have been a valid one.

Agree the Onyx could be the perfect device.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:11 PM   #12
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Interesting....so I guess you are pretty much hosed no matter what on AT&T right now. I guess while they are transitioning from EDGE to 3G coverage is going to be spotty for both. Overall my 3G coverage is pretty good in NYC - but I certainly would expect it to be. I guess my concern may have been a valid one.

Agree the Onyx could be the perfect device.

Yea, at&t's 3G is pretty spotty! However, so is Verizon's CDMA believe it or not! I think everyone is just moving along with technology these days, and trying to just out due each other. I have both, so hopefully the networks are runnin right real soon....I think the ONYX is going to be the ultimate Berry Device when it drops,,,Hopefully sooner then later!!!
Old 05-28-2009, 10:00 AM   #13
EricScott
Thumbs Must Hurt

Read this re: AT&T upgrading it's 3G from HSPA 3.6 to 7.2. AFAIK, the Bold is only capable of 3.6 so I guess they will need to release a 7.2 capable BB.

AT&T- News Room

"In addition to the planned speed upgrade, AT&T is enhancing its mobile broadband coverage by nearly doubling the wireless spectrum dedicated to 3G in most metropolitan areas to deliver stronger in-building reception and more overall network capacity. Also, AT&T is adding thousands of new cell site backhaul connections to support the higher mobile broadband speeds enabled by HSPA 7.2 and LTE."

I'll believe it when I see it but the comment about them allocating more spectrum to 3G is what I was alluding to above.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:52 PM   #14
Coach Lon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310

i"ll need to read more about this ONYX that is being referred to above. Maybe THAT is what I'm looking for. I'm not sold on the 8900-keyboard issues for me.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:37 PM   #15
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Onyx is a low end BB Curve-like unit with an optical trackpad vs the trackball. Looks like a niche product aimed a tad lower than the Bold/8900/Storm high end BBs. It's been my impression that the ATT 3g network has problems in a lot of places. In Phx my iPhone pals wanna throw the thing sometimes. I've heard that if you're on ATT at an NFL football game you can forget about calling. When I was considering the Bold last fall I was only gonna buy a Rogers unlocked so I could switch it to 2g only (I don't have 3g where I live anyway). I have found Tmob network to be good. I don't think I've ever dropped a call. I think the Verizon network is excellent and I wanted to like the Storm so bad I could taste it last fall. But I couldn't like it and I'm glad I didn't talk myself into it. I tried.

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 05-28-2009 at 05:44 PM..
Old 05-28-2009, 07:07 PM   #16
That70sGAdawg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9670
Carrier: Sprint

I switched from a Bold (for 6 months) to the 8900 in the last few days for one reason, form factor! The better camera is nice, the keyboard I'm used to in 2 days, the extra 256 memory trumps the Bold, but in the hand & pocket it's size shines! And I have size large male hands.
What I miss: the stereo speakers and warmer sound tone.
3G, I don't miss since I don't browse on any(including my 3G iPhone) small screen phones. I just read text, Viigo, etc. and stream Pandora, and Flycast work GREAT over WiFi- and calls still come through.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:15 PM   #17
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt View Post
Onyx is a low end BB Curve-like unit with an optical trackpad vs the trackball. Looks like a niche product aimed a tad lower than the Bold/8900/Storm high end BBs. It's been my impression that the ATT 3g network has problems in a lot of places. In Phx my iPhone pals wanna throw the thing sometimes. I've heard that if you're on ATT at an NFL football game you can forget about calling. When I was considering the Bold last fall I was only gonna buy a Rogers unlocked so I could switch it to 2g only (I don't have 3g where I live anyway). I have found Tmob network to be good. I don't think I've ever dropped a call. I think the Verizon network is excellent and I wanted to like the Storm so bad I could taste it last fall. But I couldn't like it and I'm glad I didn't talk myself into it. I tried.

There's actually a couple of new devices dropping in the near future for RIM! From what I'm hearing and reading, the onyx is supposedly the Jewel of all Berries! Check this out http://crackberry.com/blackberry-onyx-review
Old 05-29-2009, 10:50 AM   #18
JW68
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: N/A

Quote:

Where did you get this information about re-purposing? I have seen not evidence of this in my area (NH, MA & ME), in fact EDGE seems to be improving in coverage.