Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 07:55 PM   #1
gijimbo911

Model: 7290
PIN: N/A
Carrier: N/A
Default DM and more on a 7290

Please Login to Remove!

Well im new here and already ive learned a lot about the 7290 i just got from a friend of mine who gave it to me. I was excited to just have something new to mess around with. im a native linux user so i threw xp AND win7 on a virtual machine (virtualbox) and put desktop manager v4.1 ( i heard that at least v5.0 needs os v4.2 to work right while my 7290 is running on 4.0.2.56)

so im unable to get it to connect to desktop manager, "Blackberry Smartphone" shows up in device manager, drivers appear to be installed correctly. I know that theres a small time frame to which you can get the BB to sync to the computer but ive never found it, when i connect while the BB is on, it shows no difference except the charging icon next to the battery. should i try syncing while its off? when is the moment i should hit "detect"? Also there isnt a sim card in the device, does that matter when trying to sync, i figured it just needed the pin.

also i was looking into using a generic non-smartphone data plan for my BB, but in the US, it looks like theyve been buckling down on this usage. does anyone have luck still using a generic data plan with a BB? if so was there any options or settings that needed to be applied?

ive used the search function to the best of my ability and google doesnt really shine light on the topic at hand. anyone offer any help? it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Last edited by gijimbo911; 01-31-2010 at 08:00 PM..
Old 01-31-2010, 09:09 PM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Most if not all carriers have figured out how to charge for Blackberry data usage and sooner or later catch people with non BB data plans. Generally the BB is very limited without one.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:10 PM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

For the data plan question, go to the FAQ "What do I need a data plan for" and "Using the BB with a Generic data plan". It is all right there.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 01-31-2010, 10:06 PM   #4
gijimbo911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
For the data plan question, go to the FAQ "What do I need a data plan for" and "Using the BB with a Generic data plan". It is all right there.
that post u mentioned is the exact one i was vaguely referencing. i was more or less asking if that principle still worked 3 years after that post first made. my main concern as of right now is getting it connected to my computer and syncing it. ive got some ideas for it, but with no ways to load programs onto it, makes it a bit difficult.

so is there a critical moment during the phase of plugging in the usb cord where it will be detected by the software or what. ive heard of this problem on other posts here but again, no conclusive answers at the end of it all. should i turn it off before i sync it? turning it on gets displayed in device manager and shows its charging on the actual unit, however theres no sort of pda - computer logo or anything of that sort, that traditionally gets displayed when syncing handheld devices to a computer. so to clear all that up

1.) Does anyone successfully use a generic data plan for a BB within the US?
2.) Should my BB be off or on when i attempt to sync
3.) No icon showing me its connecting to the computer, however the computer sees the device, is this abnormal?
4.) Is there a critical moment where my BB can be detected by the Desktop Manager software?

Thanks again, i appreciate the help!
Old 02-01-2010, 07:48 AM   #5
Dubdub
Appleinator

The BB needs to be on when you plug it in.

What OS are you using on your PC? With DM installed, is the BB recognized by the PC as connected to the USB port? Make sure you connect directly into the BB, not via a hub.

You may need to tell DM to connect via USB, or serial, depending upon how you are connecting.

Once connected, DM should indicate the PIN, then you configure the sync with Outlook and then have it run.

-->>Twitter

Old 02-01-2010, 12:48 PM   #6
gijimbo911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
The BB needs to be on when you plug it in.

What OS are you using on your PC? With DM installed, is the BB recognized by the PC as connected to the USB port? Make sure you connect directly into the BB, not via a hub.

You may need to tell DM to connect via USB, or serial, depending upon how you are connecting.

Once connected, DM should indicate the PIN, then you configure the sync with Outlook and then have it run.
well im running linux.... so i have a virtual machine running both XP and windows 7. the device is detected by the operating system in the device manager when i plug it in, but DM doesnt recognize it. i go to Options>Connection Settings and choose USB then hit Detect, and it always comes up with "Handheld Not Found". i dont have a dedicated windows machine right now so i cant test it outside of a virtualbox. i initially thought this was the problem using a virtual machine, but i figure if the actual OS can see it, theres no reason why DM shouldnt.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:25 PM   #7
Dubdub
Appleinator

The FAQ has a section on Linux. Did you check that out?

Moving to the Linux users section.

-->>Twitter

Closed Thread