BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: Will you/Have you moved away from your BlackBerry?
Absolutely Not! BlackBerry Forever. 150 29.53%
I am considering it, moving to the Android Platform 112 22.05%
I am considering it, moving to the iPhone Platform 83 16.34%
I am considering it, moving to the Windows 7 Platform 21 4.13%
I have. I moved on to the Android Platform, Goodbye BlackBerry! 32 6.30%
I have. I moved on to the iPhone Platform, Goodbye BlackBerry! 24 4.72%
I have. I moved on to the Windows 7 Platform, Goodbye BlackBerry! 1 0.20%
I won't consider a move yet, I have faith RIM will come out with a competing device. 84 16.54%
I have no desire to use my mobile phone as a multimedia/app station. BlackBerry is best for me. 42 8.27%
My BlackBerry was issued to me, I have no choice in the matter. 18 3.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 508. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-30-2010, 08:48 AM   #21
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Please Login to Remove!

For me, BlackBerry does what I need. I got email/sms/IM/FB/RSS/podcasts(with video)/music sync/twitter/weather/account and password management, and everything the normal smartphone has. Much of that is due to OS 6.

While I do know any other smartphone can do that as well it's just seems easier for me with blackberry with shortcut keys and auto-text. Plus I don't want to learn a new phone.

I know the market is taking leaps and bounds forward but 3 years ago I had my 8830 running 4.2.2 and I loved it!! All I really had back them was email (and it wasn't even HTML!!!), a few IM accounts (remember AIM did not have a stand alone client back then), and that was really it I didn't even have play list support with 4.2.2!

Now look at the BlackBerry, it to has been taking leaps and bounds forward just not as quick as the competitors.

I just hate to fix something that's already working.

(My signature really sums up everything I just said.. not that I have gotten that out of the way I suppose I can change it again haha)

Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by SteveO86; 10-30-2010 at 08:49 AM..
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:47 AM   #22
KOR
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Typhoid Mary

My spouse has an Android powered device. The accelerometer doesn't work very well, but otherwise I think it's a nice phone. But, there's nothing about it that I find compelling enough to make me consider switching. As far as an iPhone goes, I wouldn't even consider it based on how much control Apple attempts to exert over its use.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:29 AM   #23
Miks101

Model: 9200
PIN: N/A
Carrier: voda

I love my blackberry!
Old 11-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #24
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

Love the Torch and loved the 9700 when I had it before.
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:34 AM   #25
sandro21
No longer Registered.

Model: 7100T
Carrier: Vodafone GR

I have one blackberry for life,one iphone for work,they are all my favorite
Old 11-05-2010, 11:48 AM   #26
avelasqu
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-Mobile

I am the epitome of a tech/phone aficionado. I seem to always want to try new technologies, break them, hack them, play with them and use them. I've have tried every OS platform and form factor, all on the T-Mobile network. I cannot see myself leaving T-Mobile as their price points fit our family needs to a "T". (LOL)

That being said, throughout my years of playing with new phones, the current Blackberry at the time has always found itself back into the my hands. I currently used the 9700 as it is ROCK SOLID and does everything I need it to - seamlessly.

I voted, "I am considering it, moving to the Windows Phone platform."

I abhor Android, iPhone iOS is great, but no 3G T-Mobile support, however WinPho seems to be something that I am getting attracted to - especially with the Xbox Live integration (I am an avid gamer as well). I ALWAYS have my trusty 9700 with me, but depending on my days activities, also carry a PSP or iPod Touch or Nintendo DS.

I am researching the HD7 immensely and I am finding a genuine, whipped, attraction to it. The only real turn off is the lack of 4G (which is BLAZING fast on the MyTouch 4G and G2) and relatively old hardware (the HD7 has been in production for the last 1.5 years).

Im still heavily torn. Ideally, a Blackberry with 4G support with a modern screen size (something a little bigger than the 9700 form factor would do, i.e., Storm) would keep me with RIM. And even more specifically, a Torch with full T-Mobile bands would keep me grounded a bit longer.

Is Blackberry a bit behind, the trend? Yes. But its relative. Most of us dont need or want all the shiny bells and whistles, especially when a BB battery life can last for 2 days with heavy use.

Most of us stay with RIM for its Pure Productivity and SOLID security policies.

In retrospect, I am looking for something new to replace my 9700 wifey. Maybe I just need to have an affair with the HD7 to make me appreciate the 9700 even more, who knows? Maybe a divorce is in order. I guess we'll find out on the 8th when I get the HD7 in my hands.

Being a happy RIM'er (no homo) for a long time has made me happy, but the trendy wave has slightly caught my attention.

Im grandly waiting for the 9800 on T-Mobile or even on a greater scale, the Storm 3 on T-Mobile with 4G.

RIM's inability to be more 'recent' has allowed these windows of opportunities to be explored. And in most cases, this is bad for your company or product.

But RIM is still strong in many of our eyes and minds, so I'm eager to see what the HD7 will be bring me on the 8th and even more-so, what RIM will bring in 2011.

Thoughts?

Last edited by avelasqu; 11-05-2010 at 11:55 AM..
Old 11-08-2010, 09:36 PM   #27
Storm20Month

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon

Sadly, I'll probably leave BB in 8 days when I'm eligible for an upgrade. Thinking of going "Droid". There are many things that I like about my Storm, but when it comes down to it, I need something dependable. Almost from the time I got the Storm, I've had to do a battery pull - almost every day. Despite updates, it freezes up almost daily. It takes a very long time to access websites - if at all. It can hold only five apps. When I try to add any more, I always get a message that there is not enough memory. Occasionally, the touch screen goes wonky and will not recognize what I touch on the screen.

I like a touch-screen, and I'm staying with Verizon, so my only other BB choices at this time don't have the touch screen. Who knows...maybe I'll come back to BB in the future, but the frustration I've experienced with the Storm over the past 20 months has led me to this choice.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:35 AM   #28
fritzykadoo

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

BB support (esp. AT&T) blows...think about it, the 8900 Curve still only has OS 4.7 support from AT&T officially...and RIM has released OS 6.0...this makes NO sense to me. Why do different operators have different OS's (yes, I know the 'stack' needs to be different depending on GSM (EDGE/3G) vs. CDMA but this is ridiculous.

Currently srongly leaning towards iPhone (large number of apps available) but friends/colleagues are pushing me towards Android...expect to make a decision soon.

Fritz
Old 11-09-2010, 08:40 AM   #29
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzykadoo View Post
BB support (esp. AT&T) blows...think about it, the 8900 Curve still only has OS 4.7 support from AT&T officially...and RIM has released OS 6.0...this makes NO sense to me. Why do different operators have different OS's (yes, I know the 'stack' needs to be different depending on GSM (EDGE/3G) vs. CDMA but this is ridiculous.

Currently srongly leaning towards iPhone (large number of apps available) but friends/colleagues are pushing me towards Android...expect to make a decision soon.

Fritz
You most likely have never talked directly to RIM support. You most likely talked to AT&T's technical support. RIM's support is actually pretty good. I speak with them on a pretty frequent basis.

RIM sends all of the carriers the OS, it is up to the carrier to release it or not. Your issue is not with RIM, but with AT&T.

Also, you can generally get A LOT more information on how to correct an issue, hardware or software (regardless of OS version, or which carrier released it as you can load the OS from another carrier on your 8900) on this forum than you would if you called your carrier support desk.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 11-09-2010, 04:58 PM   #30
andrewknight
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
PIN: 20C9851E
Carrier: vodafone

I started my BB thing late on with a 9500, a bad place to start! By the time I got rid of it I'd just about got it working right but that took months of tweaking and different os builds.
Followed that with a 7290! Brilliant phone, I'm not one of these folk with 50 apps or more, I've only got logmaid on my current 9700.
Went to an Iphone 3Gs 16g and although I liked it for a week I soon got bored with jailbreaking and Apple in general.
Now running the aforementioned 9700 and loving it.
I'll never leave the brand again although I am going to exchange my 9700 for a 9000.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 11-11-2010, 07:42 AM   #31
smccullagh
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9105
Carrier: Orange-UK

I'm around 4 weeks into my first ever Blackberry (a Pearl 9105 3G) and so far I like it, but have encountered a few niggles thus far that make me wonder whether they're actually stable devices - remain to be convinced!
Old 11-11-2010, 01:20 PM   #32
dcollens

Model: 9530
Default Probably move on

A couple of reasons that I may move.

1st it does not appear as if the 9550 will get OS6.

2nd there doesn't seem to be any move to allow sync for Office for Mac 2011. If I can't sync all of my information, then there is nothing that makes it attractive to stay.

dc
Old 11-12-2010, 08:52 AM   #33
cyclone321

Model: Torch
Carrier: Vodacom
Default Re: Will you move away from BlackBerry?

I enjoy the iphone
Old 11-14-2010, 11:32 AM   #34
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

I will of course consider options of any stripe; I try to make a point of avoiding slavish devotion to any piece of technology. For now BB is doing good things for me on the whole, but there are a number of deficits that I see.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:06 AM   #35
sexygyrl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

I too am a phone junkie..I have left my 8530 for the EVO. I can't seem to find OS 6 for 8530, and Sprint just doesn't have new BB. Sure the trackpad is great, but other than that, there's really not much different from my 9630, or 8830 (other than the Tour having quieter keys than either version of the Curve). I could have switched to the Bold, but it seems to just be the Tour just with a trackpad.

Maybe one day Sprint and RIM will surprise me, but I'm not very hopeful.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:02 AM   #36
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexygyrl View Post
I can't seem to find OS 6 for 8530, and Sprint just doesn't have new BB.
I don't believe OS 6 will be available on the 8530. Also, Sprint just released the BB Style which is the flip version and it runs OS 6.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 11-16-2010, 03:12 AM   #37
O2JR
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Claro

Sometimes makes me wonder If i picked the right phone, I love my 9700 but sometimes it lacks for some cool apps for symbian, iphone or android. But a blackberry phone if you know how to use it get it used to it, it's cool ...and for work is awesome, email feature there is no single os who can beat his ass lol, well let's see in the future for now im cool with my bb ..peace..
Old 11-17-2010, 12:19 PM   #38
AlleyGator

Model: 9650

Before the BB, I had an Android. Didn't like it at all - touch pad too sensitive. I love the BB Bold 9650. It's perfect for me and what I want to do.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:59 PM   #39
Darren_Z

Carrier: Vodacom

I just got a BB - still have a lot to learn from it but what i have started learning and seeing from others i dont think i would move away now. its has just about everything i will need and use so i will stick BlackBerry for a long time to come!!
Old 11-17-2010, 04:24 PM   #40
hd56fox

Carrier: VODAFONE ROMANIA

I'm in the same position as you. I have BB9700 and tomorrow I receive a data plan and the phoine number of first time.
So far I have studied and still have much to learn.
Even so, I think is the best phone I ever had.
I hope that on this forum to learn how to use it
So far it seems great.