BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 01-21-2008, 12:49 AM   #1
Grifter801

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default HOW TO: Clean the Trackball on your Pearl 8100

Please Login to Remove!

So I was doing some digging on why my trackball performance had started to degrade over the last few months and how I could fix it; I assumed it had gotten pretty grimy under there. After searching for information on the best way to clean it I found several forum threads on numerous sites all of which had pictures either missing, or too small to see any real detail.

I followed the instructions on a thread I had found here and took pictures along the way as a way of "giving back" something. So here they are as well as with more detailed instructions.

The images below are thumbnails which link to images that have been resized to 800x533. If you follow the link you can then click on them again for images that are 3456x2304. I have also watermarked them with the BlackBerry Forums image so no other sites rip them off.

Step 1:

Take a small screwdriver, your thumbnail, or any instrument small enough to pry off the trackball faux chrome plastic cover. Do this gently and carefully, it's lightweight plastic so you don't want to break it.

Step 2:

Look at all of the pocket lint and other nasty bits hanging around the outer edge of your trackball assembly.

Step 3:

Carefully pry up the small metallic retaining clip that sits over, and holds tightly in place, the trackball assembly. Be very careful with this ring, it's very small and you wouldn't want to misplace it. Also, this clip bends pretty easily, make sure you don't pinch it oddly and fold it in half, I don't think it would survive being bent straight again.

Step 4:

Remove the trackball assembly. If you have a magnetic tip screwdriver you can place the tip on the assembly and it will attract the magnetic rollers. The assembly is actually stuck to the screwdriver in this pic.

Step 5:

Carefully set your trackball assembly aside. Note the metal tab appears to be pointing down, this is the side that should be towards the keypad, or lower half of the phone when putting it back in.

Step 6:

Get some alcohol and a Q-tip and some canned air if you've got it. Use the canned air on the phone and then swab the internals with your Q-tip. You should have a small amount of alcohol on the Q-tip, do not soak it. Then hit the internals with the canned air one more time to get rid anything that was dislodged by the swabbing, and dry any residual alcohol. Also swab the trackball assembly itself, and hit it with the air to dry.

Step 7:

Note the grime on the Q-tip and think "What the hell is in my pockets?"

Step 8:

Make sure your internals are dry and just check them out in general. LEDs are laid out as follows: Upper Left = Green, Upper Right = Red, Lower Left = Blue, Lower Right = White. The copper pad in the center is the select pad when you depress the trackball.

Step 9:

Reassemble the trackball. Place the assembly itself in with the two side tabs on the left and right, also you want the bottom of the assembly to have the aforementioned "tab" pointing down. Then place the small metal retaining clip into place with the tabs to the top and bottom. Gently press this into place with your screwdriver tip and you will feel it click.

Step 10:

Place the faux chrome plastic trackball housing over the assembly with the tabs facing left, right, and down. Gently press this into place with your thumbnail. I recommend putting the bottom tab into place first and then pressing. I do not recommend using the screwdriver to push this into place as you may scratch the plastic. You're Done!

I wouldn't do this too often or you may accidentally break the assembly or one of the retaining clips, though it doesn't hurt if your trackball is already broken, or functioning erratically. If you do happen to break something or are too timid to try the above, you can always buy replacement parts at bbrepairshop.com. I haven't used them personally, but they do have the parts.

Anyway, I hope this is helpful and good luck to you.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:00 AM   #2
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T

Mods. This is a GREAT right up! Worth of it's own place! (of course you can buy a new one for $9.99 but still!)

E-

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 01-21-2008, 01:04 AM   #3
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Agreed! This will work on any trackball model BB. The other models are short the small metal retaining ring but all is the same.

Stuck thread.

One of the best first posts I've seen. Thank you!
Old 01-23-2008, 07:38 AM   #4
Yippee38
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

Are the pictures gone already, or is it just me?
Old 01-23-2008, 11:12 AM   #5
Grifter801

It's not just you. My web host is moving my site to another server today. Of course the site uptime has been several years and a few days after I post these pics they decide to shift me to another server. They'll be back in a few hours.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:14 PM   #6
rjg4567

Carrier: cingular
Default addition to trackball cleaning thread

I'm sure you have all figured this out already but.....the above mentioned cleaning method will only work for most dirty trackball issues. I recently had to disassemble mine completely in order to clean it. there are four tiny rollers with magnets under the trackball. you can remove the bottom plastic retainer to expose and clean them. just be careful to remember how the rollers and magnets are positioned when you reassemble them otherwise the ball will track in the wrong direction. example: when you scroll up the result will be a scroll to the right btw there was a bit of lint in the rollers that would not have been removed by the standard cleaning method.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:19 PM   #7
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Additional information on cleaning, and pictures:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...pic-guide.html
Old 01-27-2008, 05:54 PM   #8
darbyw

Carrier: t-mobile
Default i cant get the plastic thing back on

im having trouble completing step 10. please help!:oops
Old 02-06-2008, 01:10 AM   #9
sweethunnie

Carrier: fido
Red face Replacing Track Ball

Hi guys,

I have a white blackberry pearl 8100 and the track ball has turned dark exactly like the pictures of the ball above from "Grifter801" (btw, your thread was awesome =) ) Anyways, i want to order a new ball but some do not come with the retaining clip. Will i still be able to replace it without one or can i use the one i have from the original ball? Also, as the above pictures/thread shows, can i replace the ball just like that or do i have to take the whole phone apart? After seeing this thread, i didn't realize you could take the ball out without taking the phone apart.

Awaiting anyones reply!

thanks!:
Old 02-06-2008, 01:14 AM   #10
John Clark
BBF Moderator

PIN: s & needles

The trackball assembly comes out without any other disassembly.

If you are careful you should be able to use the same old retaining clip.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:28 PM   #11
Yippee38
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

Thanks for this post! I'm away from home for several weeks and last night my trackball stopped moving right. I followed you guide (I'm lucky and have the newer style "chrome" ring) and now it's working great! The only tools I used was my fingernail and a tiny swiss army knife (it has a small set of tweezers).
Old 02-18-2008, 12:38 AM   #12
illig
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530

i've been forced to do this cleaning procedure every few weeks since getting my pearl. it stops rolling in one of the directions quite frequently

recently, i've had to take the trackball assembly apart to actually clean the little magnetic rollers

apparently RIM didn't remember the horrors of old 'ball' mice, and the grime that would collect within them during regular use
Old 02-18-2008, 01:13 AM   #13
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by illig View Post
i've been forced to do this cleaning procedure every few weeks since getting my pearl. it stops rolling in one of the directions quite frequently

recently, i've had to take the trackball assembly apart to actually clean the little magnetic rollers

apparently RIM didn't remember the horrors of old 'ball' mice, and the grime that would collect within them during regular use
usually locking the device, pressing down and rolling firly in the direction that the ball gets stuck will work for this. that or blowing air into the assembly.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:46 PM   #14
ThaDRD

It should be noted that even after soaking the trackball itself in alcohol overnight, it still will never become perfectly clear again. It's like the dirt has gotten deep into the core of the ball.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:54 PM   #15
yoplay

Model: 8130
Default Can I adjust the microphone volume?

I just got my Blackberry Pearl from Verizon and am pleased with the coverage, clarity, etc. but several people I have talked to say it seems loud when I talk. Is it me, or can it be adjusted on the phone?
Old 03-26-2008, 06:13 PM   #16
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoplay View Post
I just got my Blackberry Pearl from Verizon and am pleased with the coverage, clarity, etc. but several people I have talked to say it seems loud when I talk. Is it me, or can it be adjusted on the phone?
Wrong section

Check to see if the enhanced volume is turned on.

oh and welcome to the forums.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:14 PM   #17
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDRD View Post
It should be noted that even after soaking the trackball itself in alcohol overnight, it still will never become perfectly clear again. It's like the dirt has gotten deep into the core of the ball.
thats why I colored my led so it doesnt look as dirty lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S4020005.JPG
Views:	762
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	10870  

Last edited by Dawg; 03-26-2008 at 06:18 PM..
Old 03-27-2008, 06:34 PM   #18
asadun

PIN: 205DA5AD
Carrier: PORTA
Smile Thanks!

Great Post, easy to understand and follow.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:59 AM   #19
StevePPD
Thumbs Must Hurt

I wish someone would make a crystal clear trackball.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:44 PM   #20
M3gatron

Carrier: at&t

another excellent post