fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaman View Post
4. The only ignorance I see is where IT administrators forget the one reason why they even have a job - to SUPPORT THE USERS, not to act like trolls. You are there to provide a service - to help the people that bring the bacon home!! Don't forget that IT admin is an overhead support function. How naive some people are.
WRONG. IT administrators primary function is to PROTECT AND SECURE THE CORPORATE ASSETS. They are NOT there to support the users with the caving into to wants and whims that are made in ignorance of the big picture. Claiming their 'one reason they even have a job' is to support the users demonstrates said ignorance.

(EDIT: man, late again )

Last edited by fonejunkie; 12-12-2008 at 08:53 AM..
Old 12-12-2008, 08:52 AM   #22
CanadianCrack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: MTS

This is the kind of user we use for our dart board.
All about me, arrogant and beligerent.

Why would you go on a forum full of IT admins and trash talk them.

Has he not seen Saturday Night Lives' computer guy?
"Mmmove"
Old 12-12-2008, 08:54 AM   #23
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Wow, I don't miss this at all.

smfh.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:55 AM   #24
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
4. The only ignorance I see is where IT administrators forget the one reason why they even have a job - to SUPPORT THE USERS, not to act like trolls. You are there to provide a service - to help the people that bring the bacon home!! Don't forget that IT admin is an overhead support function. How naive some people are.
This is probably the most ignorant comment I've read on this site in quite some time. I will go out on a limb and assume you are not, nor have ever been an IT admin. You don't understand that a lot of times these security policies are put in place to protect you, and a lot of times to protect you from yourself.

The rules were put in place for a reason. If the company feels the camera needs disabled, or that they don't want personal devices to access their network, that is their call, NOT YOURS.

Yes, it is a service that is offered, but at the same time, there are guidelines that need to be followed. Just because you don't like the rules does not mean they will change.

This is life, deal with it!

Last edited by jsconyers; 12-12-2008 at 09:02 AM..
Old 12-12-2008, 08:55 AM   #25
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
Wow, I don't miss this at all.

smfh.
Who are you?
Old 12-12-2008, 08:56 AM   #26
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCrack View Post
Why would you go on a forum full of IT admins and trash talk them.
Look at it from his point of view.
He went out and bought a new toy and can't use it because all of you people are against him.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:58 AM   #27
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

I'm the worst kind of lurker - a BES Admin who gets a kick out of whiners who whine "But it's my device, why do you have to be so mean?"
Old 12-12-2008, 08:59 AM   #28
skyman84
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
PIN: ask!
Carrier: O2 UK

Quote:
1. No-one is asking anyone to support the phone - just connect it to the BES srver and I get my email - simple !!
You won't be saying that when you have a problem you can't solve....trust me....

Quote:
2. If I lose the phone I lose the phone. I take a company laptop home everyday and the potential to lose corporate info from that is far greater - how easy is it to remove a laptop harddrive. Whether or not I own the phone is not going to matter either way if I lose it - it comes down to trust - does the company trust the person with the company information.
losing your laptop is one risk, but hopfully your laptop is fully protected by various encryption and password locks, loosing a blackberry that may have confidential data on it that does not conform to the compnay security policy is a big risk that few companys will take.

Quote:
3. If it's a company device then you may want to disable features to make sure the device is being used for legitimate business reasons. On a private device ... please explain?
No such thing as a private device on a company network, you're using it for company business, there for they are well within their rights (an in some cases even legally obliged) to make sure they have done all within their power to enforce strict data and security policys.

Quote:
99% of all corp IT depts Support the users in fully QA'd apps and hardware only, what you're asking for goes beyond the normal remit of most IT departments and certanly in my industry/company would be a separetly costed request for service which would cost your department money out of your budget.

Quote:
5. As far as polling email I agree with you - that would be stupid.
Well thanks!!
Old 12-12-2008, 08:59 AM   #29
skyman84
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
PIN: ask!
Carrier: O2 UK

Quote:
I'm the worst kind of lurker - a BES Admin who gets a kick out of whiners who whine "But it's my device, why do you have to be so mean?"
lol!
Old 12-12-2008, 09:02 AM   #30
TXLady
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650

One of the reasons I really appreciate BB Forums is that the vast majority of the users here act like responsible adults. Occasionally, someone like pandaman shows up. I think he probably would be better appreciated on one of those other forums where he would get more sympathy. (But it won't change the responsible response he got from his IT guys.)
Old 12-12-2008, 09:03 AM   #31
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Quote:
You are one mean guy, I'll tell you that.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:04 AM   #32
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
You are one mean guy, I'll tell you that.
Haha!

To the OP, if you have an issue with your IT admin, why not talk to him/her about it instead of whining to us admins about it. Just a thought.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:11 AM   #33
pandaman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9500
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyman84 View Post
You won't be saying that when you have a problem you can't solve....trust me....

losing your laptop is one risk, but hopfully your laptop is fully protected by various encryption and password locks, loosing a blackberry that may have confidential data on it that does not conform to the compnay security policy is a big risk that few companys will take.

No such thing as a private device on a company network, you're using it for company business, there for they are well within their rights (an in some cases even legally obliged) to make sure they have done all within their power to enforce strict data and security policys.

99% of all corp IT depts Support the users in fully QA'd apps and hardware only, what you're asking for goes beyond the normal remit of most IT departments and certanly in my industry/company would be a separetly costed request for service which would cost your department money out of your budget.

Well thanks!!
Thanks for taking the time to explain you point of view in a reasonable and intelligent manner.

You're right about having email problems - I have thought about this, and what the smirking IT admin on the other end of the phone will say when I tell him my privately owned device is not receiving emails. Well there's a few options here - and it all comes back to whether IT admins are willing to help or not. Given the conversation above, I can see their point of view, but still don't agree with it.

No-one here has explained yet how a privately owned BB device poses more of a security threat than a company owned device, other than the assumed behaviour of the operator. Do all company employees turn into industrial espionage agents when holding a personal BB?
Old 12-12-2008, 09:12 AM   #34
misterbulldog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

Pandaman,

Many organizations will only activate devices that they have purchased or specific models that they have approved. You should have checked with your IT department first. Your logic is flawed because you do not understand the process your IT folks must follow. The last two places I worked for will not approve any devices that use sure-type. Period. Also, be kind to your IT folks. They don't make up the rules. If you want to complain, go straight to the IT Manager! Let me know how your meeting goes. LOL!!!
Old 12-12-2008, 09:14 AM   #35
misterbulldog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

Quote:
Do all company employees turn into industrial espionage agents when holding a personal BB?
It only takes one!
Old 12-12-2008, 09:16 AM   #36
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Good luck getting your BlackBerry connected to your corporate network.

Perhaps your smirking, Nazi IT admin can help you out as we obviously can't or won't.

"Why can't I bring my personal laptop into the office"
"Why do I need to keep entering my stupid password when you lock my PC"
"Why can't I connect whatever I want to to the corporate networK?"

You realize we've heard it before. You don't make the decisions on what is allowed on a corporate network, or what devices are supported. I understand you don't like that.

Keep tilting at windmills.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:16 AM   #37
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Quote:
other than the assumed behaviour of the operator.
In your case, you have probably hit the nail on the head.

Move on. BlackBerry is not for you.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:18 AM   #38
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Given the conversation above, I can see their point of view, but still don't agree with it.

No-one here has explained yet how a privately owned BB device poses more of a security threat than a company owned device, other than the assumed behaviour of the operator. Do all company employees turn into industrial espionage agents when holding a personal BB?
No. You're just still missing the point.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:20 AM   #39
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Look at it from his point of view.
He went out and bought a new toy and can't use it because all of you people are against him.
Two words:

Research. Investigate.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:20 AM   #40
pandaman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9500
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbulldog View Post
It only takes one!
Correct - very much so. I work in this business and I'm double the age of the average person here which is why I probably do not understand their point of view.

Strangely enough someone referred to me as Gen-Y when I was thinking the same thing about them - how ironic.

These forums are a great source of information and I am not deterred by some of the personal attacks. Reading over the thread I can see how I have offended some IT admins, but that was not my intent - sorry!

It would make things a lot easier if people took the time to explain rather than point the policy book and just ask me to speak to the hand. No technical/security reason has been given yet as to why a personal device would pose any greater risk than a company owned device. Please enlighten me ... but be gentle
Closed Thread