BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 04-06-2006, 02:03 AM   #1
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Default UPDATED:Pocketday for Blackberry!!

Please Login to Remove!

Pocketday Personal and Professional for Blackberry

Date reviewed: April 6th, 2006
Version: 3.5
Price as reviewed: 19.95 for personal, 34.95 for professional
Free to try: Yes
Vendor: Cross River Systems
Installation: App loader via USB
File size: 318kb
Compatible models: 71xx ; 72xx ; 75xx ; 77xx ; 87xx series
Category: Organizational, informational outlook

================================================== ======

So you requested it on my request thread and I am bringing it to you! The gecko is back with a review from Handango with a Cross River Systems application, Pocketday Personal. This application is widely popular and I feel that doing a review on it may be redundant, but nothing is too good for my fellow members.

Needless to say as I review this application, I am extremely impressed by its versatility and setup. A lot of thought obviously went in to this program. It is clear and easy to use. It offers a beefy selection of customizable options for its user, making it personable to anyone who wants it.

Believe me when I say that there are alternatives to Pocketday, but there are no substitute. I currently use BBtoday and this blows it away. But enough stalling, lets get to the pics and review.

I loaded the application via application loader via USB, because I did not see an OTA option available on the site, www.handango.com. Loading was easy and quick. Once the application was loaded, I only had to make a couple of connection selections for the program to function correctly. One thing that caught my eye was upon initial set up the weather function worked properly the first time, not the third, fourth or fifth. I entered my zip code as requested and my weather pulled right up with a 3 day AM and PM view.

The main screen has Missed calls, Unread emails, appointments, tasks, weather, stock quotes, and a web search section.

What I like about this application is that the options that make sense, that should be there to make things easier for you, are there. If you highlight a missed call and press the track wheel it gives you an option to call back or remove from call log. The option to open the email listed in your summary screen or delete exists if you press the track wheel. If you highlight a task and press the track wheel, it gives you the following options:

You can create new calendar events, tasks, or copy the existing that you already have. Pocketday Personal also has its own specialized week view and Month view as well as task view. The are shown below in order as mentioned:

You know how you have speed dial from your home screen? Well you can set up a speed dial list via Pocketday personal as well. It is quick and efficient, utilizing your already stored address book. Pocketday Personal has plenty of settings that can be customized as well for personalization
of your very own day timer application.

The general options allow you to edit just about anything you can think of...

Show completed tasks, task colors as background, show battery as percentage, hide PD with esc key, check mail in inbox only, confirm delete email, spacebar collapse/expand toggle

You can edit the number of days to show on the week view. You can also edit the amount of missed calls, emails, tasks, and appointments that are shown. Not to mention that it gives you the option to rearrange the order of the information sections shown as well. All of that, just under general options.

As for weather options, you can select up to 5 different zipcodes to store for later access. That right! You can easily switch from your home zipcode, to your work zipcode. This is a great feature for people that want to know what the weather is when they get off the plane for a business trip.

Wait....there's even more.... Thats right, you also have the stock list and a web search feature included. That means that if you want to search for something, you dont have to exit Pocketday Personal and go to the web browser to search, just use the feature included for great and easy access. There are multiple color options and so much more that I cannot go in to how great this product is for the user.

I would strongly recommend this product for anyone who wants a reputable application for their blackberry. Cross River Systems has done a superb job at creating an application second to none. The 19.99 USD charged for this personal version is WELL worth it in my opinion. I will be purchasing this product in the very near future. I recommend all Blackberryforum members to ditch their BBToday programs and spend their money wisely. You will not be disappointed.

I give this application 5 out of 5 blackberrys

What does Pocketday Professional offer???

So, needless to say, I was remarkably pleased with the design of Pocketday personal and I hope you were to . But if you're like me, you want your blackberry to do as much as mechanically possible. Well, Pocketday professional adds even more for its users. That's right, I said even more!!
The professional version adds a world clock section with the time zone of four different locations (perfect for someone who has employees worldwide), it has RSS feeds for information news updated quickly, and a Sports scoreboard (requires a yearly subscription).

Let's examine the first extra section first. The world clock section has the ability to display time in either analog mode or digital mode. You have an option of 4 time location zones, each with a space for your custom time zone location name (for instance if you live in NC, you can select NY timezone and list the location to show on Pocketdays main screen as North Carolina or Raleigh).

The RSS feeds function just as well a Cingular's MediaNet homepage with all kinds of news sections available for the user. In the intial RSS section, you see the folder that you are viewing (multiple folders available to set up) and the time that the feed was refreshed (very nice in my opinion as you know how current that news may be). Under the folder, you see just the headline of the specfic content, but upon opening the main folder you are taken to your internet browser and to the exact page where the story is, no mass track wheel clicking.

I have not subscribed to the scoreboard as of now, because to be honest...I dont have any teams that I like to watch. However, for the review I did try and set it up, very nice and easy. It functions just like everything else does (correctly the 1st time ).

Cold River Systems truly has a gem on their hands!! My review for the professional version has not changed from the rating that it received from the personal version, 5 out of 5 blackberries:

Last edited by coreyg510; 04-06-2006 at 03:20 PM..
Old 04-06-2006, 08:13 AM   #2
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

I hope you all are enjoying the reviews.

Coming soon......Pocketday Professional for Blackberry.

Be on the lookout
Old 04-06-2006, 03:39 PM   #3
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Pocketday Review updated!! Now includes the options that only Pocketday Professional offers.

Hope you enjoy. Feel free to post any questions that you might have as well.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:43 PM   #4
Corman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon
Smile OTA available

Thanks for the great review. I am a pocketday user and a pocketlists tester. Really love the product. There is an OTA download available on the http://www.crossriversystems.com website. It is easy to use. Customer service is excellent and quick.

7250, 7130e, 8703e, 8830 and now the 8330
Old 04-07-2006, 01:13 PM   #5
jtendler

Model: 7130
Default Based on your POSITIVE REVIEW

I downloaded PocketDay (Regular) and within 20 minutes of playing with it, I paid for my registration key. I did not see the value for the Professional version IMHO.

Keep up the GREAT job with the reviews
Old 04-07-2006, 01:59 PM   #6
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T
Default SMS question.

I keep getting an SMS that has "50" in the title and nothing else. I can open it in pocket day, but when I go to my SMS icon in the Zen theme, there is nothing there?

I turned the Listen for SMS option off in Utilities but it still getting these.

Thoughts?
Old 04-07-2006, 02:21 PM   #7
Corman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

Stinson, not to sure on your issues. I keep the "listen" box checked and have no issues with SMS messages. Not sure what is wrong. Do you get any SMS messages at all with text in the message? Also, if you send a message to pocketday support they are very quick in responding.

7250, 7130e, 8703e, 8830 and now the 8330

Last edited by Corman; 04-07-2006 at 02:25 PM..
Old 04-07-2006, 03:39 PM   #8
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Yes I am getting other SMS messages with text, BUT now I have an unread message that I can't clear. Let's see if a reboot does it. YUP a reboot did clear it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corman
Stinson, not to sure on your issues. I keep the "listen" box checked and have no issues with SMS messages. Not sure what is wrong. Do you get any SMS messages at all with text in the message? Also, if you send a message to pocketday support they are very quick in responding.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:13 PM   #9
cooperpwc
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700R
Carrier: Rogers

Great PocketDay review.
One more point about PocketDay Professional extras: it provides access to a screen of Stock Details for each of your stocks including High/Low Price, Volume etc.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:15 PM   #10
aphr0deity
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mo

Is it possible to change the color scheme of the Main screen (and maybe even the other screens)? Overall I'm not too keen on the interface b/c of the colors... a simple, more streamlined black/white or blue/white pairing, instead of a combination of colors, would be my preference.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:44 PM   #11
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Yes you can change the color
Old 04-16-2006, 10:22 PM   #12
allyrand

Model: 9530
Carrier: VZW

Hello..I am new to the forum and just installed Pocketday on my BB 8700c. the problem is I can not get the weather to work, I am on Cingular in the US..the message reads :java.io.IOException:Permission denied..I tried all the different settings in the connection set up with no luck...I hope one of you pros can help me out..thanks agin..this is a great forum for info
Old 04-16-2006, 10:37 PM   #13
Toddboy71
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: tmo

I have had this happen before. I dont think the program fully installed. Delete from your BB and reinstall. Should work fine!
Old 04-17-2006, 03:55 AM   #14
asianmaze
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9520
Carrier: Tmobile
Question weather help needed too please

<the message reads :java.io.IOException:Permission denied..I tried all the different settings in the connection set up with no luck...>

I had this problem initially too, but Mark at Pocketday helped me to (nearly) resolve this with these instructions:

<Here are the instructions to get the apn, gateway and port from your device settings. After getting these, you go to PocketDay Settings/Communications, set the internet connection to Default, Enable WAP and set the apn, gateway and port. Leave the username and password blank.
1.. From your BlackBerry's home screen, select the Options application.
2.. Highlight the entry for Service Book and open it by clicking the trackwheel.
3.. If there is an entry labeled "WAP Transport", highlight the entry, click the trackwheel, and select View. If there is no "WAP Transport" entry, you will need to contact your mobile operator to obtain your WAP settings.
4.. Click the trackwheel and select Show HRT.
5.. Click the trackwheel and select View.
6.. If your device uses GPRS, there should be a line beginning with "APN:". The remaining text on that line is your GPRS APN that you will need to enter in PocketDay.
7.. Obtain your WAP gateway IP address and port from the "IP/Ports:"
entry. The WAP gateway IP address is composed of everything before the first colon (":"). The WAP gateway port is the number following the first colon.
For example, if the "IP/Ports:" entry is "10.250.250.250:9201:8205", then your WAP gateway IP address is 10.250.250.250, and your WAP gateway port is 9201.>

Mark also told me to disable the firewall.

Now all this worked very well in one sense in that the stocks feature started to work, and the weather sort of appeared. (I had, basically, missed a number in the settings.)

What I now get under weather is:

current conditions (as of null)

Then the words Today, Tuesday and Wednesday (or whatever day it is) followed by H/L under each.

But the values I get are pr:%/% under them all.

So it's nearly there but not quite. I want the weather for Manchester, UK and for London UK and I have entered these values: UKXX0092 and UKXX0085 respectively in the location codes. I have checked and unchecked manual refresh and refreshed several times but nothing changes.

Anyone got any ideas? I don't think it can be a need for a complete reinstall but if that's what's got to be done then I'll do it - just hoping there's something else to try first.

"There is something about jumping a horse over a fence, something that makes you feel good." William Faulkner

Last edited by asianmaze; 04-17-2006 at 04:10 AM..
Old 04-17-2006, 07:04 AM   #15
Evil Sports
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Curve

Sounds great, what happens to my outlook stuff? do I still use it for my calender and appointments?
Old 04-17-2006, 04:27 PM   #16
crs

Model: 8800
Carrier: cingular

If the stocks are working and refreshing then you need to reset the firewall once more and make sure that if you are asked about allowing connections you allow all.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:29 PM   #17
Evil Sports
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Curve

Trying the trial right now,After installing How do I get the back lighting to go off, I dont use the holster for my 7130e
Old 04-18-2006, 05:06 AM   #18
crs

Carrier: cingular

Backlight should go off normally. Pop the batter out to reboot.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:46 AM   #19
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Default One bug that bugs me

When you go into the PocketDay email app, and hit N for next or P for previous as should occur when you are in the RIM mail app, what happens is you edit the message instead of moving forward or back. Why does this matter. It severly limits the functionality of the program in terms of ease of use. I know they are aware of this and I hope they fix it soon.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:15 AM   #20
Fireproof
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: Montblanc
Carrier: T-Mobile

Are the colors and fonts on the different screens customizable? Or does it have themes?

One thing I don't like from the reviews / screenshots I've seen is that it looks kind of amateurish with all the different bright colors and large text, etc. Not as clean as I would like.

Thoughts?